Tourney Structure feedback requested - Single re-entry (half-price) / free add-on (1 Viewer)

CSW

Pair
Reaction score
I’m looking for feedback on any issues you see with my proposed structure for the last regular-season event of our league’s inaugural tournament season. This is our 6th event, and the last chance to both earn points for Player of the Year and extra chips in our Championship Event later in the year. (See here for some info about our league setup and why it is setup the way it is).

My goals are (1) to give a lot of opportunity for players to earn points in this last event, so that everyone feels like they have a chance to climb the standings and earn bonus chips for the Championship Event (in other words, to make sure we have good attendance and participation) and (2) to keep the game affordable (limiting the possibility for some players to overwhelm others by just shoving and rebuying relentlessly to effectively “buy” their way up the standings).

I have been experimenting with different formats/structures both to see what people like best and to see what works well. So far, we have played two single re-entry events with bounties (15K starting stacks), one unlimited re-entry event with bounties (10K starting stacks), one mystery-bounty freezeout event (15K starting stacks), and one “prebuy”/“reload” event (10K starting stack plus one rebuy chip redeemable for either one rebuy of 10K chips or a 15K add-on at the first break). All games have been $20 buy-in and use the same blind structure (copied at the end of this post).

What I am considering for this event is the following:
  1. Double stakes ($40 buy-in) with double points awarded. The idea here is, again, to keep everyone in the hunt for POY. If we kept the stakes/points the same as our previous games, only 6 of our 26 players would have any chance at all to take the top spot. And we have several players that have only recently joined the player pool, so I don't want to disadvantage them too much. Consistency throughout the year obviously matters to me, but so does keeping everyone engaged. Even with double points up for grabs, it will be hard (even if theoretically possible) for someone near the middle of the pack to jump all the way to the top).
  2. One half-price rebuy ($20) before the first break (after Level 5). The idea behind making it half-price is that we have some folks for whom the usual $20 buy-in is already near the top of their comfort zone, so I don’t want them feeling totally overwhelmed by those who are happy to fire off for two full $40 entries (which is most of us). Again, this is a fun/casual game, not super serious. But I do want folks to be able to come back into this important last event if they get coolered in the first few levels.
  3. Anyone who does not rebuy before the break gets an automatic (free) half-stack add-on (10K chips). The idea here is to guard against players punting with a medium/short stack right before the break (they are already going to get 10K in chips for free, so as long as they have around a half-stack remaining, there is no need to play unusually reckless and then have to pay for an extra 10K chips). Also helps those for whom the $40 buy-in is at the top of their comfort zone because they are on somewhat equal footing (in terms of stack size) with those who do fire off for two full entries.
Does anyone see any issues with the mechanics or incentives of this structure? For what it is worth, our typical rebuy rate is only about 15% or less, even with our relatively short starting stacks. Our player pool is very loose-passive and inexperienced (our 8 games per year are the only times that most of these folks ever play poker). So, we don’t usually have much of a problem with the pre-break shovefest. But with the larger buy-in, and it being the last event, I want to make sure that the issue doesn't suddenly arise.

In case anyone finds it relevant, our point structure is very basic and geared toward our very casual player base (one point for playing, one point for each table break outlasted, one point for cashing, and one point for winning). Our current standings are:

1690997897390.png

And here is our blind structure for all events. We usually do not use an ante, but I am considering using one this time to help ensure that we end on time.

1690998175528.png

If no antes, I would do away with T25 chips since they’re used only in the first 3 levels and not really needed after. As the tournament director it will push back having to color up.
Level 1 100-100
Level 2 100-200
Level 3 100-300

I played in a regular game that was T5 based and the host doesn’t like coloring up. It makes later round all-ins more of a hassle when determining how much a call will be with so many lower denoms in play that are basically just there to make stacks look more imposing.

I’m looking for feedback on any issues you see with my proposed structure for the last regular-season event of our league’s inaugural tournament season. This is our 6th event

1. Double stakes ($40 buy-in) with double points awarded. The idea here is, again, to keep everyone in the hunt for POY. If we kept the stakes/points the same as our previous games, only 6 of our 26 players would have any chance at all to take the top spot.
As it should be, imo. Those six still-in-the-hunt players earned that right during the first five events of the season, and it's unfair to give others unearned chances to catch them now with a 'gimmick' event -- especially if it wasn't announced as being worth double-points until AFTER the season started.

Keep the other changes if you like, but I would be pretty pissed if some mid-field player 'stole' the title after several others put in the work for the first five events. Double-points is a bad idea.

especially if it wasn't announced as being worth double-points until AFTER the season started.
This ^. Pretty much any rule is ok as long as it was declared beforehand. Making up a rule like this just before the last event would make me grumpy if I was at the top of the board.

Regarding rebuys, do I understand correctly that if you're eliminated before the cut-off you can buy back half a stack for $20, but if you survive you get it for free? I don't think it's fair. An eliminated player is first punished by having a half stack olus that the average stack of the competition has now grown (since they now have his inital stack). This is of course totally fine, it's how rebuys work. But then he is punished a second time since his completion gets a half stack for free!! Simplified: You have 0.5 stacks for $60 and the others 1.5 for $40 (and the dude that took your stack has 2 stacks for $40).

By the same logic as before, this rule is ok if it is declared beforehand (this time before the tournament, not the season) since everyone can decide themself if they want to participate (and therefore accept), buy IMO two fairer rules that achieves your goals are

1. Everyone pays $40 and get 1.5 stacks. The 0.5 stack is recieved either when eliminated before the cut-off or at the cut-off as an add-on. I call this a "pre-buy". The size of your wallet doesn't matter!

2. Everyone is entitled to 1 rebuy or addon (not both) for $20 which gives them half a stack.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can change things mid season…events and points structures should have been determined before season started. Unfair to whomever is leading.

Free rebuys also sounds foolish but I didn’t read the entire post bc coming up w a point structure worth double that was never planned and free rebuys just sounds like some poor decisions.

Don’t move the cheese, it could be more detrimental to your player pool than just being out of the hunt.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I inadvertently derailed the thread by omitting a key piece of information: the double-points aspect of this last event was announced before the season began. The plan was five regular events, plus a final double-buy-in, double-points event.

The detailed tournament structure has changed from one event to the next, but always circulated about 2-3 weeks ahead of time. So it is really the structure details I’m most interested in.

(One final point that may or may not be important to your feedback: there is no cash prize this year for either the POY or the season championship freeroll. Since we were just getting started, and our player pool was still growing throughout this first season, we didn’t pay any sort of league fee or withhold any entry fees for the season awards. We didn’t want latecomers to be disadvantaged monetarily for joining late. So the awards are just for bragging rights, and perhaps a trophy, this year. I’m not sure whether we will change that for next year; our group is super casual and inconsistent enough that any money withheld for a season award might be a turnoff.)

So, with those clarifications, please feel free to continue evicerating the structure itself. I’ll think about and respond to some of the thoughts that have come in already. But I wanted to make sure to cut off the surprise/unfairness part of this before it wasted anymore of people’s time/attention.

the double-points aspect of this last event was announced before the season began
That's great! I am not totally against an idea to have the last tourney worth more (now that it's announced pre-season), but I'd make that tourney last longer. Then you can always rationalize it by saying that it took more skill to win. Can't remember if you wrote that or not and I'm too lazy to read.

and perhaps a trophy
Yes, definitely!! The winner should get something. I'd probably buy a nice trophy or something out of my own pocket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom