Cash Game How difficult is it paying out exact change after a cash game? (1 Viewer)

I know this has me in the minority of PCF hosts, but I am always prepared to pay out to the quarter. I just feel presumptuous and unprepared if I don't. That said I would say 95% of players will round down and most winners will additionally tip a couple singles which is more than enough to keep me happy.

But the original post is about how "difficult" it is to pay exact change, and it really isn't. Just make sure you have a substantial quantity of singles and fives and you'll be fine. If you can keep $50 in small bills, I like having $3 in quarters, $22 in singles, and $25 in fives. And then I will usually include $20-$40 of fives and tens as part of my initial buy in. If we are playing buy ins over $100, then I will do my buy ins with 20s to make sure I can break any 100s that come into play.

Same. People usually just say to round them down, but if they don't they get their quarters.

assuming you have no more than 10 players, you need $10 in quarters to cover players who want to cash out fracs.

for dollars, have $50 in singles and $50 in fives, and that should cover all exact change.

Personally, I round my stack to the nearest $5 or $10 and tip the rest to host. Makes it easier on the host and I don't go to strip clubs so there's no use to singles for me. They usually provide drinks and food, so win or lose for me, I'm tipping out of my stack.

I have only been hosting cash games for about the last 6 months or so. We usually play for low stakes ($20 buy ins) 0.05/0.10 and 0.25/0.25. We usually round down to the nearest dollar and people are good with that. Last poker game I didn't have enough change to give someone so I'll need to make a bank of money with some $1s and $5s. Some people understand that we need change at the end of the night and will buy in with the smaller bills which helps. I'll have to take some of the advice here and build a bank.

I host a $25 cash game, $0.25/$0.25 blinds. 8 players, re-buys and top ups, so we initially have $200.00 for the initial buy in.
I have two's, and 1's, and have $100.00 in $5 and $10. I have about $10 i quarters. I pay out the quarters, but I like the idea to round to nearest $1 and play a hand for it.

I take both cash and electronic at my cash game so at pay out, I distribute the cash back out (usually smallest bill is $20) and send the change via electronic payment.

I take both cash and electronic at my cash game so at pay out, I distribute the cash back out (usually smallest bill is $20) and send the change via electronic payment.
Do you see a trend in your game to go more with electronic payment? Wondering if I should switch here to accept electronic payment.

Right now I don't get very many re-buys and trying to find a way to keep people playing longer. Most people hang out for a couple hours and when they bust they head home.

Do you see a trend in your game to go more with electronic payment? Wondering if I should switch here to accept electronic payment.

Right now I don't get very many re-buys and trying to find a way to keep people playing longer. Most people hang out for a couple hours and when they bust they head home.
More people at my game use electronic payment, it's just easier; especially for re-buys. I also make it easy though, I take Venmo/PayPal/ApplePay. One person did ask if I take Cash app once and I thought about setting it up just for him.

More people at my game use electronic payment, it's just easier; especially for re-buys. I also make it easy though, I take Venmo/PayPal/ApplePay. One person did ask if I take Cash app once and I thought about setting it up just for him.
Most of my players are fine with cash but definitely something I'm considering as more people get added to the invite list. Have you ever run into an issue where someone doesn't use electronic payment and you don't have enough cash for them? Or do you have house rules stating that people Ned some form of electronic payment. I have a couple older guys that play and I think they are just old school and prefer to stick with cash no matter what.

Most of my players are fine with cash but definitely something I'm considering as more people get added to the invite list. Have you ever run into an issue where someone doesn't use electronic payment and you don't have enough cash for them? Or do you have house rules stating that people Ned some form of electronic payment. I have a couple older guys that play and I think they are just old school and prefer to stick with cash no matter what.
I only have one player who uses cash and wants cash back and he's not at every one of my games so I haven't had issues.

At the end of the night I’ll usually just suggest a final hand of whatever game with any leftover change and winner takes it all. Honestly it’s not uncommon for the group to just all decide and leftover change gets rounded down and donated to the house (also not uncommon for them to donate the leftover change plus a few bucks to the house since I usually am feeding them and keeping their glasses full) but that’s up to the group I don’t ask them for that. Another note, we strictly use cash, if someone wants to venmo or zelle another player and exchange cash with them that’s fine but only cash to the bank. My “bank” is just a simple zip up bankers bag it’s not fancy but it works to keep buy ins separate since I usually have a fair amount of small bills in my personal roll to help make change at the end of the night

Last edited:
I just moved my 50/$1 game to $1/1 to get it down to two denominations on the table. That said I was always amazed at how few times I had people left with an odd .50 chip. Cashing out late at night mist seemed to embarrasses to ask for the change and usually just would quickly say “don’t worry about it…I’m good”

We use Venmo. I put my QR code on the table. You Venmo me the buy in. At the end of the night I can pay out exact change back via Venmo.
Potentially a dangerous thing to do. I know people who have had their Venmo frozen for random stupid reasons. One of them being a comment like "beer" along with the numerous transactions and they get flagged as a vendor then have to either convert to a business account or go through a lengthy process proving they are not operating a business that sells beer, it's impossible to prove a negative btw.

For my group of friends that plays microstakes there is no change needed. In the last 15 min or so it turns into an all in fest and one person ends up with all of the $200-300 on the table

Potentially a dangerous thing to do. I know people who have had their Venmo frozen for random stupid reasons. One of them being a comment like "beer" along with the numerous transactions and they get flagged as a vendor then have to either convert to a business account or go through a lengthy process proving they are not operating a business that sells beer, it's impossible to prove a negative btw.

For my group of friends that plays microstakes there is no change needed. In the last 15 min or so it turns into an all in fest and one person ends up with all of the $200-300 on the table
Haven't had any issues yet. We use it all the time for gambling on things .

If someone doesn't give me the change, I give it to them. With cashapp, it's too easy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_023747_Cash App.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_023747_Cash App.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 16

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom