Cash Game $0.25/$0.50 home game not wanting to dole out $.25s in payouts - ideas for rounding up/down? (2 Viewers)

mcfjack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So I'm going to be running a home game next week and am drafting up an email to people with some basic rules (don't splash the pot, don't hit and run, no ratholing, outlining stakes, max buy-in, rebuy rules, etc.). I'm encouraging everyone to bring cash so I don't have to try to juggle venmo and cash buy-ins and can just easily cash people out as needed. However, given the stakes people will likely end up cashing out $x.25, $x.50, or $x.75 occasionally. I don't want (and I'm guessing my guests don't want) to deal with quarters so I'm trying to think if there are any easy ways to round people up or down (high card? just donate it to the next pot? tip me because I'm a great host obviously?) to avoid having to deal with quarters.

Any ideas?

So I'm going to be running a home game next week and am drafting up an email to people with some basic rules (don't splash the pot, don't hit and run, no ratholing, outlining stakes, max buy-in, rebuy rules, etc.). I'm encouraging everyone to bring cash so I don't have to try to juggle venmo and cash buy-ins and can just easily cash people out as needed. However, given the stakes people will likely end up cashing out $x.25, $x.50, or $x.75 occasionally. I don't want (and I'm guessing my guests don't want) to deal with quarters so I'm trying to think if there are any easy ways to round people up or down (high card? just donate it to the next pot? tip me because I'm a great host obviously?) to avoid having to deal with quarters.

Any ideas?
Just don't do it. When they cash out, say you aren't messing with quarters, and pay to the dollar. Most everybody I play with just goes to the five and doesn't collect their singles, leaving them for the host or for an odd change bomb pot.

I think that was my plan - just round down and be sort of "you didn't want the quarters anyway" and if I ended up with an extra dollar or two, so be it. Just wasn't sure if anyone had any unique ideas besides just telling them to deal with it.

Collect the loose change and:
  • Gamble off the few dollars
  • Keep the few dollars for yourself
  • Keep the few dollars for snacks/drinks
  • Keep the few dollars for a high hand or bad beat jackpot
  • Keep the few dollars to incentivize attendance/punctuality

I've seen people throw all their odd fracs (and sometimes dollars too) into a final pot and then deal a flip - winner take all. At my game I just round down and keep the extra quarters. Though sometimes I'll round up if the guy has .75.

At my game someone gives the quarters to someone in order to even out stacks. I get nothing :(

When I cash out I always round down to nearest $20. If theres $10+ extra, I give the $10 to the host and whatever’s left I throw into the next pot.

Example: In chips I have $156.25. I take $140, $10 goes to host, $6.25 goes into next pot. (Sometimes $15 to hose and $1.25 into next pot)

If I’ve had a really good night, I’ll throw $20 to host and $10 to next pot.

All this to say just tell your players to round down to the nearest bill you can pay out.

I should note that I always leave early because my kids wake at 6 so everyone knows I leave at 11:30pm. They play through the night

We just throw in anything over an even dollar in the middle and play 7 card stud all face up for any overage after we pay everyone out

Played in more than my fair share of $.25/$.50 games and have never seen a single person sqwack over a couple bucks and definitely not quarters! It is unspoken that the change just goes to the house or to the next pot. Typically you round down to the nearest $5. $97.50 the person either says "give me $90" or if they are cheap "give me $95"

I will say that if I am running the bank I try to always have $1s in my pocket so if someone where to bitch about 50 cent I can just throw them a buck and move on with the game... but literally NEVER seen this happen yet!

If you are providing snacks, dogs and refreshments and someone is bitching about exact change... they might not be invited back! Just sayin

We round down to the dollar. They insist I take the leftovers, but I insist we run 5 cards for it.

I highly recommend purchasing one of these and sliding it on your belt...will help making change much easier.
Screenshot_20240208-100756_eBay.jpg

You can race them off. Everyone with odd chips gets one card per chip. High card by suit gets the dollar. If there's more than a dollar, then the different player with the next highest card by suit gets the second dollar.

I always offer to pay out to the exact quarters. Most people decline the quarters and usually toss in a few bucks to help cover the costs of hosting(food, drinks, etc.). It's not hard to keep a couple of rolls of quarters in the cash drawer.

You can race them off. Everyone with odd chips gets one card per chip. High card by suit gets the dollar. If there's more than a dollar, then the different player with the next highest card by suit gets the second dollar.
Yeah I thought about that, but also expect that some people will be cashing out over the course of the night and the table won't just be breaking altogether. At the end of the night I'll definitely do something like this.

I round down to the nearest 5. I collect all the roundoff and whoever is still there when we break we play a hand of thermonuclear Armageddon pineapple for it. Could be anywhere from $5-$30.

You can make it clear that you're gonna round down to the nearest dollar beforehand so no one's caught off guard (can't imagine anyone making a fuss over literal change). Hopefully most are self-aware enough to round down themselves so they can leave a couple bucks for you. I always cringe when I hear someone say something like, "I have $87" and then don't immediately just say $80 is good.

That said, though... as a host, it is your responsibility to theoretically have all situations covered re: cashing people out. Now, I don't mean that so literally that you need to have coins on site, but you should at minimum be prepared to pay everyone to the exact dollar after rounding up or down. This means that you should have a stack of $5's and $1's on site to make change, if needed.

My guys will count it up at the table, and the loose change is left in the middle to go into the next pot. The last hand of the night is just a pot of everyone's loose change. Saves me the trouble.

I've always paid out exact amounts. But no one brings quarters (and very few bring singles) as part of their buy-in so it seems I may be the only one giving any thought to the payout process.

Good thread. I'm liking the race / flip / one final hand for all the odd quarters ideas :tup:

I've always paid out exact amounts. But no one brings quarters (and very few bring singles) as part of their buy-in so it seems I may be the only one giving any thought to the payout process.

Good thread. I'm liking the race / flip / one final hand for all the odd quarters ideas :tup:
Yeah I saw in another post the importance of keeping a bank of bills ($200 in $20s, $10s, $5s, and $1s) so I'll at least have that. But I can't imagine anyone at my table is going to be interested in dealing with coins anyway, so I'm just rounding down to the nearest dollar and putting that on the house rules people get beforehand so there's no surprise. I think that's my best bet. If the game breaks with most people still there, we can also just throw in the loose fracs for a face-up hand.

Yeah I thought about that, but also expect that some people will be cashing out over the course of the night and the table won't just be breaking altogether. At the end of the night I'll definitely do something like this.
Incentive to stay until the end.

All cash outs get rounded down to the nearest $1/$5. At the end of the night, everyone who is left plays a hand faceup, winner take all.

I love the idea of using a new game to introduce as the ‘flip’ game. It’s an easy way for people to see new games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom