Cash Game $0.25/$0.50 home game not wanting to dole out $.25s in payouts - ideas for rounding up/down? (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to think if there are any easy ways to round people up or down (high card? just donate it to the next pot? tip me because I'm a great host obviously?) to avoid having to deal with quarters.

Any ideas?

At my games:

1) If individual players leave but the game is still going: excess quarters belong to the house.

or

2) If the game totally ends and there are still multiple players, all excess quarters will be raced off.

You can make it clear that you're gonna round down to the nearest dollar beforehand so no one's caught off guard
I’m still embarrassed about this. My first time playing with PCFers was at a meetup in NH. Prior to that, my home game experience was limited to playing with crap cards and crap chips on kitchen tables with drunk guys - the concepts of hosting and tipping home hosts were just beyond my experience.
So when I cashed out, I’m not sure if it was @bergs or Chicken, I’m pretty sure I offered a couple of quarters out of my pocket, to make exact change. I shudder to think what they must have thought of me. But hey, live and learn.

I need to start inviting Joey

Hey we have our monthly tourney next Saturday. I putting the Ojibwas into play. $120 buyin includes $20 bounty

IMG_6458.jpeg

Old thread but i am starting up a home game soon (chips on order) and i plan to round the payout to the nearest $5 and play 1 final game of LCR for the left over $$$. This will take a little longer than 1 hand of poker but it is a fun and exciting game to end the night.

I’m still embarrassed about this. My first time playing with PCFers was at a meetup in NH. Prior to that, my home game experience was limited to playing with crap cards and crap chips on kitchen tables with drunk guys - the concepts of hosting and tipping home hosts were just beyond my experience.
So when I cashed out, I’m not sure if it was @bergs or Chicken, I’m pretty sure I offered a couple of quarters out of my pocket, to make exact change. I shudder to think what they must have thought of me. But hey, live and learn.

I'd have got this wrong too, I find the idea of bothering to play a game where the chips are meant to be value and then socially tipping it all away really jarring.

And it's not about people being generous, and it's not entirely rational; these groups buy ~£50++ rounds of beers on other nights in the pub, bring bottles of spirits of similar value to games, or put on food that costs more than our buy-ins... But I reckon if you won £33.75 in a low stakes game, then cash out £33.75; there's something disrespectful or patronizing about 'tipping' a friend/host actual currency. (And I understand that patronizing feeling it generates has some genuine history in how that tipping culture got there.)

I'd reconsider digital banking, exact amounts are no problem. But otherwise just pass the change to other players, race it off, or whatever, as a host I'm more likely to round up the cash outs if I didn't have change than ask people to cash out short. I want my bank to be balanced at the end of the night, else rarely slightly down, having odd balances left over to pocket is the wrong look.

As others have said. I round down. Most of my players tip out a couple of bucks with the extra change anyways.

I keep $50 of fives, singles, and quarters in my drawer so I am always able to pay to the quarter. Maybe in one or two cashouts out of 100 do players actually keep their quarters, but at least I am ready.

That said I play in a lot of games that will only pay whole dollars and that's by and large fine, and I think that's a pretty common practice. Personally, I think players in home games, especially those on PCF that know and understand hosting better than everyone, should always tip at least couple dollars plus their loose change to the host when cashing out.

All that said, I do feel the discussion of the round-down method on PCF often lacks mentioning a possible legal issue. Depending on what constitutes legal home poker in your jurisdiction (and all hosts should at the very least take their time to understand what applies in their area) it's possible a DA with a stick up his bum might contrive rounding down to mean the house is mandating a contribution for profit. (IANAL, but every jurisdiction is different, and I imagine well of 90% of jurisdictions will not care, but it's important for hosts to know whether or not their are in this boat.)

There also is the "flip for change method" where everyone with odd quarters gets dealt in for one last pot at the end of the night and the winner gets the stack. Fun for the gamble, and maybe less risky from a legal standpoint, but I wouldn't encourage this in a game where hosts do appreciate tips, and tips are reasonable safe from a legal standpoint.

I'd have got this wrong too, I find the idea of bothering to play a game where the chips are meant to be value and then socially tipping it all away really jarring.
Yeah that makes so much sense to me; I get it completely. It’s not about the actual quarters, but this is how we keep score.
Then I started hosting and I saw the other side of it. It’s not about begging for tips, but I’m not going to keep a pile of quarters on hand. If the exact score is that important to you, you can write it down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom