Cash Game How difficult is it paying out exact change after a cash game? (3 Viewers)

Fezzyfezz

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am hosting my first cash game in a couple weeks and am trying to be prepared. 25¢/ 50¢ NL, potentially 2 tables (15ish players). $20-$50 buyins, unlimited topoffs and reloads. Just thinking about problems I may encounter at the end when I have to settle up with each person. How do I figure the correct amount of small currency to have on hand and is there tip for keeping it all straight. Meaning separate from my potential winnings and so it all evens out in the end. Also should I keep a log of amounts each person buys in for? Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome!​

There are other threads similar to this, you can use the Search button in the top right.

Basically you don't pay out anything under $1 - I have a dealer, so most just toss them to the dealer, but when I don't have a dealer, everyone tosses the change into the pot and we play a flip to see who wins all the change.

I am hosting my first cash game in a couple weeks and am trying to be prepared. 25¢/ 50¢ NL, potentially 2 tables (15ish players). $20-$50 buyins, unlimited topoffs and reloads. Just thinking about problems I may encounter at the end when I have to settle up with each person. How do I figure the correct amount of small currency to have on hand and is there tip for keeping it all straight. Meaning separate from my potential winnings and so it all evens out in the end. Also should I keep a log of amounts each person buys in for? Any advice is appreciated.
I wouldn't log people's buy-in and cashout amounts. It's unnecessary and might rub people the wrong way.

Personally, I keep an extra $40 worth of $5s and singles in the cash drawer so cashouts are never an issue. We don't mess around with change but I imagine if you kept a roll of quarters on hand that'd be fine.

Go to a bank and change $100 for $50 in fives and $50 in ones. Use those small bills to pay for your own buy-ins. Sometimes other players will be aware you'll need small bills and will bring them to buy in with, but I wouldn't count on it.

When you do cashouts, pay everyone else in as large bills as possible. Ask people to contribute $1 to make $59 into $60 or a $5 to make $35 into $40 (or whatever), even if you don't really need it to make the change work. Cash as many of the small bills as possible to yourself. Now you have some for next game!

Also, never pay quarters. Round people up. Usually I do this by paying quarters out of my stack to their stacks to get everyone up to an even dollar amount. That way all the quarters get rounded, but the purse still balances.

What are you going to keep a log of transactions for? So people can pay taxes? Cash for chips should be enough if you manage it carefully. Even if the money turns out wrong, the log won't tell you where it went.

I keep about $200 in change for my .25/.50 game. Pretty much all $5’s and $1’s. I just leave my winnings in my cash drawer as well, or refill to $200 as needed.

Lastly, I always round down to the nearest dollar and most people in the club will round down to the nearest $5 since I don’t charge for food or drinks. I don’t require rounding down to the $5 (although I appreciate it) but I do tell them that I will round down to the nearest dollar. I think it’s a fair ask.

How I handle quarters/uneven dollars is usually we do a splash pot crazy pineapple with the uneven change at the end of the night. There is a decision to still to be made by the player, and the winner gets the changes which should total to a whole dollar.

Sometimes if I got a player leaving early, I will cash them out rounding to the nearest whole dollar.

I usually don't have to round down. Most of the time the guys will do that on their own. A handful of them even round down to the five.

I keep 20 x $1.00 bills and 16 x $5.00 bills in the bank. This easily covers my 8 player, $100 max buy in games.

K.I.S.S.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

it is not hard, no chips go out with money coming in - Count both twice
Mo money goes out with out chips coming in - count both twice

your game, your bank
Like others have said, go to the bank, get plenty of 1's and 5's, not your players responsibility unless you ask them before hand to all bring their first $20 buy in as 2 $5s and 5 $1's ( but this is not practical)

I personally leave all ones and fives in the cash box after a game and reuse as the next game happens, and as the time goes in-between games every time I use cash for something and get 1s and 5s in return, i put that in my poker cash box

How I handle quarters/uneven dollars is usually we do a splash pot crazy pineapple with the uneven change at the end of the night. There is a decision to still to be made by the player, and the winner gets the changes which should total to a whole dollar.

Sometimes if I got a player leaving early, I will cash them out rounding to the nearest whole dollar.
I like the splash pot idea! That’s interesting!

Usually the spares get donated to the bank as "compensation" for the hassle of running the bank. Players could also just pool spares together to get someone close to a cashable unit (give a player your spare dollar so his $4 is now $5) or race them off like in a tournament color up situation. Having to carry around a ton of spare change is simply not worth the effort. I'd sooner round everyone up to the next dollar than try to get everyone's cashout that precise.

I usually don't have to round down. Most of the time the guys will do that on their own. A handful of them even round down to the five.
When I'm not running the game, this is what I usually do. Hosting is a ton of work. The least I can do is kick back a few bucks here and there.

However, in my experience, this is the exception rather than the rule, at least at cheeseburger stakes.

we do a run off for change after the end of the game. anyone with less than 10bbs over a round $5 multiple payout (say $97.50 or $188) puts their extras in the middle and then a face up hand is dealt out. winner gets the extra in their payout, usually around $10, sometimes $15.

any early leavers simple lose their extras to the next pot.

no complaints and easy math ftw.

I run similar stakes. I try to have $50 of quarters, singles, and fives and I make my first buy in with small bills as well. That's usually enough change to pay out at the end of the night.

Go to a bank and change $100 for $50 in fives and $50 in ones. Use those small bills to pay for your own buy-ins. Sometimes other players will be aware you'll need small bills and will bring them to buy in with, but I wouldn't count on it.

When you do cashouts, pay everyone else in as large bills as possible. Ask people to contribute $1 to make $59 into $60 or a $5 to make $35 into $40 (or whatever), even if you don't really need it to make the change work. Cash as many of the small bills as possible to yourself. Now you have some for next game!

Also, never pay quarters. Round people up. Usually I do this by paying quarters out of my stack to their stacks to get everyone up to an even dollar amount. That way all the quarters get rounded, but the purse still balances.

What are you going to keep a log of transactions for? So people can pay taxes? Cash for chips should be enough if you manage it carefully. Even if the money turns out wrong, the log won't tell you where it went.
This is good. I had an issue with keeping my change and buyins in the same box. I somehow lost track of buyins. In the end everyone got paid and my bank was balanced. Save yourself the headache and don't do what I did, in case it isn't obvious like it wasn't to me. Buyins in a separate envelope or box than your "bank" or change.

I do keep a roll of quarters but rarely pay out change. Most people give them to each other to finish the dollar anyways.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

This is good. I had an issue with keeping my change and buyins in the same box.
I keep the whole bank in a pocket that I specially designate only to hold the bank.

I have been thinking about a better way to do this, since I'm running the game at a club, and it could conceivably get stolen—especially if folks outside the poker game learn that I'm walking around with all that cash on me. I just don't like the idea of leaving the cash out of my immediate control, for the same reason.

Maybe I'll get one of those money belts that tourists wear in places with lots of pickpocketing and snatch theft.

(None of this is to suggest theft is a problem at the club. It isn't. But I don't want to invite it.)

Max change you should need (I think) is 1 x $10, 1 x $5, and 5 x $1 for every two people in the game, but likely you’ll need a lot less than that.

I like the idea of the host buying in with change. I’m going to start doing that, just to make it a little easier

We do something similar, where everyone rounds down to the nearest five. All the loose change/singles goes in the middle and we play a hand of thermonuclear Armageddon pineapple for it

I know you are new, but once you get a feel for the game and the way players cash out, you'll know what you should have on hand (more $1, or more $5 for example). Keep a separate envelope of small bills. I know its been said already, but always keep that separate from the main bank. we play $.25/$.50, but don't cash out anything less than a $1. Most of my players throw me their small change to usually get their stack to the nearest $1/$5/$20. Now I do provide bottled water, soda, and hot dogs at no cost, so I don't mind the rounding up.

For me, when I do need small bills as well, I'll pull a $20 from the bank, and get $20 in small bills from my envelope. I'll put the $20 in the envelope, and put the small bills in the bank now. Pay out what is needed, and rinse/repeat as needed. Once the small bills envelope has more $20's than small bills, go back to the bank and exchange. I'm lazy and don't like going to the bank. I keep $250 in small bills. ($30 in $1's, $120 in $5's, and $100 in $10's)

Not once ever in the history of hosting my .25/.50 cash games has anyone ever expected to be cashed out in exact change to the quarter…. Most people round their chips down to the nearest $10 or so and just ship the rest as a tip for hosting, food, etc.

take that back, I did have one guy years ago (who was cashing out for around $1000), ask about his extra $.50. I think I did go get him a couple of quarters, and he hasn’t played my game since.

take that back, I did have one guy years ago (who was cashing out for around $1000), ask about his extra $.50. I think I did go get him a couple of quarters, and he hasn’t played my game since.
Not going to lie, I don't take people off of my invite list much (really only for no-showing or being a bad fit for the game). ^^ This would also qualify for instant removal from my list as well.

Since change never goes bad, there seems no reason not to keep plenty of it around, for whatever stakes you play. Then you don’t have to sweat it.

If your players are sensible (rounding down/topping up at cashout) so you end up never using the change, you can always just spend it, or take it to the bank.

Last edited:
I know this has me in the minority of PCF hosts, but I am always prepared to pay out to the quarter. I just feel presumptuous and unprepared if I don't. That said I would say 95% of players will round down and most winners will additionally tip a couple singles which is more than enough to keep me happy.

But the original post is about how "difficult" it is to pay exact change, and it really isn't. Just make sure you have a substantial quantity of singles and fives and you'll be fine. If you can keep $50 in small bills, I like having $3 in quarters, $22 in singles, and $25 in fives. And then I will usually include $20-$40 of fives and tens as part of my initial buy in. If we are playing buy ins over $100, then I will do my buy ins with 20s to make sure I can break any 100s that come into play.

For a 2/5 game, I like to have ~20 singles and a few $5-$10 bills on hand, plus some random twenties.

Usually there is some damnable shortstacker who shows up with $400 in twenties, so I don’t need to stock the latter.

Most of this change doesn’t actually get used, since regulars at those stakes don’t usually bother with getting paid out in increments smaller than $10-$20. Most of them want to get as many $100s back as possible. So either they throw the dealer their extras at the end of the night, or add cash to their cashout stacks to top up to a round number.

There’s also usually one degen who has a wad of random bills who can help with change if really necessary.

But it’s good to have just in case.

If I were hosting a .25/.50 game, I’d probably keep a roll of quarters and ~20 $1s for change, on the assumption that most buyin with $20s. If it were 1/2, I’d have more $1s and $5s.

Whatever the stakes, keeping small change in a zipper pouch that never leaves your box is really not hard. I still use a little cash in day-to-day life, so I accumulate small bills between games anyway. I maybe go to the bank for poker change once a year if that.

Do you have a set of house rules that all players have received or have access to? It's a good idea, in general, if you don't alraedy. And if you already do, I would just clarify this item in your set of rules.

I don't host, but I did come up with a set of house rules should I ever start regularly hosting, and below is how I address it:

When cashing out, stacks will be rounded DOWN to the nearest dollar, unless players agree to gamble for the remaining change via high card, one final hand, etc.

That way, everyone in the game knows what to expect. As several others in here have stated, I think you'll find that most players will take it upon themselves to not expect their payout to include amounts that are less than a dollar. It seems pretty automatic to me that if you've got $53.50 in front of you, you take $50 and leave the rest for the host (if not more, especially if you've had a winning night). But in case you have anybody who's looking for exact change, you can at least put it on paper and be up front about the fact that they're not gonna get their extra 75 cents.

Ya the way I do it is I have a drawer for my float (I use one of those 3 drawer plastic side table things but I plan on buying a cheap cashbox off Amazon if I can get a more regular game going), and a large cloth type envelope for buy ins. Always keep them separate. I've never run off the change but I plan on doing that going forward. Needing loonies and toonies is enough change for me, not needing to keep quarters will be nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom