How deep does this rabbit hole go? (1 Viewer)

gabrielxz

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi from Charlotte. I just joined after doing a few weeks of research. I'm setting up a home tournament and had no idea how much variety and complexity there is in choosing poker chips. It's like peeking around a corner that you expect to be a storage closet and there's a whole city. Anyway, after ordering a bunch of sample chips, I think I like Milanos the best for price and feel. I'd like to get some blanks and get a custom label designed and printed. I sent off for a sample set of labels from Chip Up. Anyway, I'm amazed there is a community this deep for poker chips; it's great.

Hello and welcome! How many people are you looking at having in your tournament? Have you decided on the blind structure? There’s a ton of useful information on here, as well as people who are happy to help. Cheers!

Hi from Charlotte. I just joined after doing a few weeks of research. I'm setting up a home tournament and had no idea how much variety and complexity there is in choosing poker chips. It's like peeking around a corner that you expect to be a storage closet and there's a whole city. Anyway, after ordering a bunch of sample chips, I think I like Milanos the best for price and feel. I'd like to get some blanks and get a custom label designed and printed. I sent off for a sample set of labels from Chip Up. Anyway, I'm amazed there is a community this deep for poker chips; it's great.
Welcome!! This habit might be a bit addicting, so buckle up and enjoy the AWESOME ride my fellow addict!!

zt7yg.jpg

Hello and welcome! How many people are you looking at having in your tournament? Have you decided on the blind structure? There’s a ton of useful information on here, as well as people who are happy to help. Cheers!
Thanks. It will be between 10 and 15ish people. I've been looking at BlindValet.com for running a league and handling stuff like showing the blinds progression.

Also, can someone tell me what the hell is going on with "racetracks"? I just bought a table from BBO and nearly all their tables have a racetrack. Does anyone actually like those things? My cards just get trapped in the transition.

Also, can someone tell me what the hell is going on with "racetracks"? I just bought a table from BBO and nearly all their tables have a racetrack. Does anyone actually like those things? My cards just get trapped in the transition.
I have one. (After people learn how to deal it isn't an issue)

Pros:
You can change out playing surface in minutes & change colors:
image000002.jpg

You can stack 100 high without trying:
20230527_175532.jpg

Cons:
Like you said cards can be hard to pick up when they're on it but my only Con is it can look filthy after several hours when the light is on. (Some people are less greasy than others I've noticed lol)
Screenshot_20230207_222436_Gallery.jpg

They (race tracks) generally seem disliked here on this forum but I love my table & prefer it to 99% that I've played on.

The rabbit hole emerges somewhere in the Australian outback!!

A warning about Milanos. They smell. Really smell. Of burnt plastic. I had to get rid of mine. From memory the black 100s and purple 500s were the worst while the other chips didn’t have much of a smell.

From what I understand the Majestic chips from Apache don’t have that issue (although I’ve never owned any).

Hello and welcome to the forum!!! This is an amazing place indeed! You definitely should decide on your blind structure before you buy your chips so you will know how many of each denomination you will need.

I have one. (After people learn how to deal it isn't an issue)

Pros:
You can change out playing surface in minutes & change colors:
View attachment 1154418
You can stack 100 high without trying:
View attachment 1154419
Cons:
Like you said cards can be hard to pick up when they're on it but my only Con is it can look filthy after several hours when the light is on. (Some people are less greasy than others I've noticed lol)
View attachment 1154420
They (race tracks) generally seem disliked here on this forum but I love my table & prefer it to 99% that I've played on.
Yeah, I'm not trying to hate on anyone who likes it. I can see that it has some advantages for people. I just found it frustrating that at BBO all the normally shaped tables that have toppers available have the racetrack. There's not an option without it.

Yeah, I'm not trying to hate on anyone who likes it. I can see that it has some advantages for people. I just found it frustrating that at BBO all the normally shaped tables that have toppers available have the racetrack. There's not an option without it.
Not sure what "normal shape" is but they make this non racetrack table
https://www.bbopokertables.com/folding-table-with-led
& you wouldn't need a topper because it folds away?
If this doesn't do it for you there are several other manufacturers that make very similar tables w/o them as well at similar price points.

"Normal" to me is oval and not "kidney bean" shaped. I wanted a topper because I wanted to replace my dining room table. If you know of a similar type of table that meets those requirements, then please shoot me a link.

So the BBO Lumen HD Classic does have the table top option so don't rule kidney bean out. (No racetrack)
Screenshot_20230707_203422_Chrome.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom