Hot Dog Roller Pron (5 Viewers)

95350AA8-1768-40CC-B71E-466C4984CA2D.jpeg
First time to use my hot dog sandwich roller. Had 21 players for a MTT. This thing is awesome!

View attachment 160111 I have a roller too but have to say this is more popular at my games....

I love nuts!

....err I mean, the thought of warm cashews makes me drool. How is this thing in practice? How often do you clean it? How long do you think nuts will stay fresh? Can nuts be allowed to cool then rewarmed? Do they get oily?

Thanks in advance!

After using my hot dog sandwich roller for the first time this weekend, I discovered that cooking brat-size sausages made the roller cleanup a lot more difficult. The back three rollers where the sausages cooked had thick baked on grease that was very tough to get off. The front three rollers where the all-beef hot dogs were cooked were easy to clean up. Note to self; no more brats in the future. Just all-beef dogs.

Edit: After reading the manual (doh) I discovered that I should have coated the rollers with vegetable oil. This must be to help keep the grease from sticking to the rollers. Anyone have any insight on this? Did this help when cooking thing like fatty brats or sausages?

Last edited:
I love nuts!

....err I mean, the thought of warm cashews makes me drool. How is this thing in practice? How often do you clean it? How long do you think nuts will stay fresh? Can nuts be allowed to cool then rewarmed? Do they get oily?

Thanks in advance!
I have had nuts in it warmed and cooled daily for a week now all still tasty and fresh. Clean up once a month , I use cupcake cups to catch the nuts that come with a pull. All works well, not oily yet and I'm using Walmart nuts, Member's Mark. I love it and bought a second one for my office.

Also I gave $100 plus shipping on eBay with an offer. Built well and worth it.

After using my hot dog sandwich roller for the first time this weekend, I discovered that cooking brat-size sausages made the roller cleanup a lot more difficult. The back three rollers where the sausages cooked had thick baked on grease that was very tough to get off. The front three rollers where the all-beef hot dogs were cooked were easy to clean up. Note to self; no more brats in the future. Just all-beef dogs.

Edit: After reading the manual (doh) I discovered that I should have coated the rollers with vegetable oil. This must be to help keep the grease from sticking to the rollers. Anyone have any insight on this? Did this help when cooking thing like fatty brats or sausages?

The first time I used mine I coated it with a little vegetable oil and cooked brats and dogs. It was REALLY hard to clean up after that one. There was a lot of cooked on grease and oil that had to be scrubbed off. I haven't used vegetable oil on it since and have only cooked hot dogs on it and now clean up is super easy. Just wipe down the hot roller with a wet cloth and it cleans right up. Easy peazy. I'm not sure if certain brands of hot dogs are easier to clean after or not but we ate Hebrew National dogs this last time and clean up was super easy.

The hot dog roller was a huge success. I did find that they back rollers didn't seem to cook the dogs as much as the front rollers. Either way, went through 20+ dogs on the initial run, plus 4 additional the day after.
What temp did you end up setting it on? I just got the olde midway 18 dog one for my birthday and I'm breaking it out this Saturday for the first time.

I cook brats with the same result. I do not use oil - it makes it much worse. I've found that low and slow is much better - but the clean up is still needed. I use a scrub daddy for the cooked on mess - comes off with little effort. My roller is going on 3 years old - still cleans to like new.

I tried that, and the outsides were hot, but the middles were still cold. moved it up a tad higher, and that seemed to work

I put them on at least 30-45 minutes before eating and that temp seemed OK, but I agree, higher temp shorter time should be OK too. I personally like them a little charred on the outside and that definitely requires a higher temp or longer time.

They are literally cheaper than one pot at a meet up o_O
I've almost bought one a couple of times, but like a lot of big appliances, storing it would be a pain in the ass.
When I have a dedicated poker room, it'll be a snap buy.

I decided I am going to take the plunge on this. However reviews are mostly subpar on all the 100 to 200 dollar models, seems they are all poorly built and the motors burn out no matter which brand ... anyone have better info than what I found?

I decided I am going to take the plunge on this. However reviews are mostly subpar on all the 100 to 200 dollar models, seems they are all poorly built and the motors burn out no matter which brand ... anyone have better info than what I found?
I've had a Top Dawg for nearly 3 years. Had to replace the motor at about 2 years in - cheap fix - like $15 for a part. Otherwise no other issues.

I've almost bought one a couple of times, but like a lot of big appliances, storing it would be a pain in the ass.
When I have a dedicated poker room, it'll be a snap buy.
Yes. Doesn't fit anywhere easily. It has a near permanent home on my bar counter.

I found a local source for the gas station Tornado rolled tacos. A hot dog roller around here is inevitable now.

I am getting ready to buy. Looking at the 11 roller and the 9 roller.

Does anyone have an 11 roller version. Is it too big to store?

Generally, bigger is better, but I’m worried about where to store it.

Man I have hosted weekly poker for 10+ years and never even thought of a hot dog roller, but now I don't know how I can not buy one. :eek:
Inevitably it's gonna happen.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom