Hot Dog Roller Pron (11 Viewers)

Do you need the glass shield on an Olde Midway?
Probably if you're plan is to actually COOK something on there - hot dogs are better when they cook slow lower temp (aka no splatter) It's a splatter guard but it's gonna get dirty and it'll be something else you'll have to clean realistically. And then make sure there aren't any smudges when you're done cleaning lol

It's also actually glass so I skipped out because of storage and the fact it'll probably get dropped and brake due to the degen in my blood

I tossed the glass shield, mainly because it faced the wrong way!! I think it would only really work if people serve off the roller from behind the table/counter, like in a store. In order for it to guard against sneezes, it would need to be blocking off people from getting the encased meat!

Ironically, I still haven't used mine for a poker game. Bought it just before COVID and haven't hosted since. BUT, we do use it for movie nights in the alley, fantasy football drafts on the deck, and a ton of other events. It has most definitely been worth the investment!

And just be patient.... they pop up on FB Marketplace and CL at random times. Quick search turned these two up:
1632317639784.png

I sprung for the glass sneeze guard, and wish I hadn’t. Two reasons - 1) as pointed out above, it’s designed for a vending situation, to protect the dogs from the customers - it doesn’t seem useful for the home, serve yourself, situation. And 2) it has to be screwed on - it isn’t designed to be removed - which is inconvenient for storage.

Probably if you're plan is to actually COOK something on there - hot dogs are better when they cook slow lower temp (aka no splatter) It's a splatter guard but it's gonna get dirty and it'll be something else you'll have to clean realistically. And then make sure there aren't any smudges when you're done cleaning lol

It's also actually glass so I skipped out because of storage and the fact it'll probably get dropped and brake due to the degen in my blood
I tossed the glass shield, mainly because it faced the wrong way!! I think it would only really work if people serve off the roller from behind the table/counter, like in a store. In order for it to guard against sneezes, it would need to be blocking off people from getting the encased meat!

Ironically, I still haven't used mine for a poker game. Bought it just before COVID and haven't hosted since. BUT, we do use it for movie nights in the alley, fantasy football drafts on the deck, and a ton of other events. It has most definitely been worth the investment!

And just be patient.... they pop up on FB Marketplace and CL at random times. Quick search turned these two up:
View attachment 781841
I sprung for the glass sneeze guard, and wish I hadn’t. Two reasons - 1) as pointed out above, it’s designed for a vending situation, to protect the dogs from the customers - it doesn’t seem useful for the home, serve yourself, situation. And 2) it has to be screwed on - it isn’t designed to be removed - which is inconvenient for storage.
You guys rule! I wouldn't have thought of the whole "facing the wrong way" thing. Thanks for the reviews, it's helped inform my decision, for when I inevitably pick one of these up, LOL.

Edit: +1 on your input too @MatthewTreeTree.

It may seem expensive, but since I got mine it has helped to provide many a great night with good food and friends and loved ones. My roller has paid for itself in ways no amount of any currency can buy.
Thats the truth. Mine has been invited to kids birthday parties and pool parties. I'm starting to get jealous!

this was the model borrowed pick from way back in this thread when it was new.
There was no carnage, I just pulled plug and it all went dark.

20180420_203158-jpg.168743

New roller just arrived.
Testing now to see if works.
I don't love the way the glass shield was packed but does not seem to be broke thus far.

View attachment 787656
I very carefully and gently tossed the glass shield in the garbage. I have the same model, and the glass is really designed for someone serving behind a countertop. So customers don't sneeze on it. But not for self-serve.

Just got mine from eBay! Won the auction for an Olde Midway PRO18 with no shield, let's gOOOOO!! This was my second attempt...first one got outbid at the very end, even trying to snipe it. But this one I did land that snipe! Excited to get it in, fired up and tested out, and serve some dogs at my next game in late October!

Edit: Clarification...won the auction...did not receive the item yet.

Last edited:
I very carefully and gently tossed the glass shield in the garbage. I have the same model, and the glass is really designed for someone serving behind a countertop. So customers don't sneeze on it. But not for self-serve.
If you look around, you can find the same models with and without the glass shield. And the glass shield is a substantial premium - like $50 or something. So like I said, I'm kicking myself for ordering one with a shield. But I could never bring myself to throw that thing away.

I actually want the shield, it keeps players from dropping stuff off to the side where other items are that I would rather not get hot dog on them. It also keeps the rollers cleaner between uses in my garage from normal garage dust and such.

I ended up giving up trying to find an olde midway (they were showing as unavailable on Amazon when I was hoping to buy so I bought an APW Wyott which is one of the biggest commercially used ones out there. I bought it from a grandma and grandpa that had purchased it new for when their grandkids came over. It was used 3 times in 2 years because the grandkids didn't think it was that cool. Came with the hotdog bun warmer, the sneeze guard, and the hot dog roller, plus utensils. Paid less for the whole package than just the cover costs new from APW.

IMG_20210731_231406443.jpg
IMG_20210806_181352178.jpg
IMG_20210729_104326554.jpg

There's something about hotdogs on rollers that make me want one. They look delicious. I would always get 2 from 7Eleven with all the condiments.

Question for all you hotdog aficionados:
I'm getting ready to purchase a roller for our home games and wondering how you guys are warming up the buns. I'm deciding between the Olde Midway Pro18 or this roller I found on Amazon with a bun warming drawer (the size of it is probably overkill for my current game). What do you all think?

Amazon - PartyHut 30 Hot Dog Wamer Roller Grill Cooker Commercial Machine

Question for all you hotdog aficionados:
I'm getting ready to purchase a roller for our home games and wondering how you guys are warming up the buns. I'm deciding between the Olde Midway Pro18 or this roller I found on Amazon with a bun warming drawer (the size of it is probably overkill for my current game). What do you all think?

Amazon - PartyHut 30 Hot Dog Wamer Roller Grill Cooker Commercial Machine
I'm not currently. Nathan's Famous on room temperature Long's Potato Rolls are amazing already. I think a toasted bun would elevate it a bit, but not sure how much a warm bun would add. But I'm newer to this arena.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom