Holiday Feel Good and Major Tip of the Cap to @deer34 (1 Viewer)

DMack

Full House
Reaction score
With a lot of the negativity that has been seen recently, I wanted to post a little feel good story and give a serious tip of the cap to @deer34 for an incredible gesture. Recently, @deer34 posted an ad about a free ceramic set he wanted to give away because he did not use them. Several people expressed their interest, and I PMed him about the set. I informed him of a close friend that is a war vet that happens to love chips and cards. My friend is not financially well off, so he had a pretty cheap plastic set, but one above dice chips. He always is infatuated with my humble collection, and he loves to play when he gets the chance. He loves different card setups, and I recently introduced him to @desjgn cards. He loved them, so I gave him a setup. To see his appreciation over a gesture so small was quite moving.

Anyway, I passed along the story of my friend to @deer34. He said my buddy sounded like a good candidate for the chips, and @deer34 promptly sent the chips his way. @deer34 didn't ask for shipping costs. He sent the set free and clear.

The set arrived a few days later, and the only unfortunate part of the story was that when my friend got them, it was after a very long day of work. I know because my phone started going crazy at 1:30 in the morning. Text after text of thanks and gratitude, and picture after picture of his new, prized chips. The next day I also received texts from several of the guys we play with. They told me how excited our friend was, and that he could not believe the kind gesture from a total stranger.

So, @deer34, thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. I really don't think you can begin to imagine how happy you made him.

Last edited:
Seriously...I've been inspired by @deer34. His message of generosity came at a very hard time for me.

A week or so ago he posted about wanting to give away a set of chips to someone that needs them. I replied to that post stating that my 8-year-old daughter has recently taken a legitimate interest in poker, learning the rank of hands, asking questions about poker that a kid wouldn't normally ask, etc. She told me she wanted her own set of chips.

I explained this in my response and he said he was going to send her a set of Monaco Millions and asked me to send him my address in a PM. I was blown away by his generosity. I sent him my address and begged him to at least let me pay for shipping. He strategically ignored my request and sent me another message.

His new message said he had a change of plans and was going to send my daughter a set of 500 or so Paulson chips. I received his message the afternoon of the morning (this past Tuesday) my best friend lost his two-year battle with cancer. I was in his room at The James Cancer Hospital in Columbus when he died. Needless to say, I was numb. I took the rest of the day off and went home to simply stare at a wall.

When I read @deer34's message I nearly broke down for the 98th time that day. His generosity and "switching" the chip set into something even more generous is exactly the move my friend, Kyle, would have made. No question about it. @deer34 had no idea but that kind gesture made an absolutely horrific day a tad easier to take and it made me smile and think even more about my friend.

So when I get these chips on Saturday, I'm either going to wrap them up and give them to my daughter on Christmas or we're going to waste no time and play heads up immediately. Either way, before we do anything, she is going to know the story of someone that did something wildly generous for a complete stranger. She and I will pay it forward together over this Christmas break in the hopes of keeping this tidal wave of generosity going.

Thank you, @deer34 !!!

0D25AD56-5D1F-4D8D-8343-C0326F0DFA12.jpeg

My buddy brought his prized chips that were donated to him by @deer34. He loves them. Thanks again, sir!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom