Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (7 Viewers)

So, I'm a charcoal grill kind of guy and usually go the reverse sear, indirect heating with a little smoke. But in the winter time, it just isn't nearly as satisfying as relaxing by the grill, eating outdoors is a total bust. So, in an effort to keep my toes attached in winter, I discovered this technique from Bobby Flay, the recipie is good, but the pan sear and finish in the oven works great! I've done it with everything from pork chops to Salmon, Filet, and ribeye...try it, you'll like it!
Screenshot_20220126-213207_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Made picanha for the Super Bowl. Indirect heat (probably 235-250, didn’t have a probe on the grill) to 120 deg., then finished on a cold grate over fresh bed of hot coals. Pic 2 is when i pulled it off before searing, pic 3 is after the sear before slicing.

Yes, the fat is an integral part of this cut.

89A21757-B8ED-4200-9A40-7A7C8610B319.jpeg
DCAF2C98-B1B8-412D-A586-8A1B6C5D8D65.jpeg
230F6695-F69C-439E-9785-C9F582804415.jpeg
2AFBF1D2-79E0-4DBC-AAB3-DCB819E8A046.jpeg

love picanha, nice work - i think i posted one earlier in this thread. i like to score the fat cap. did you serve it with chimichurri??

also, i just finally got the pun in this thread title. duh.

love picanha, nice work - i think i posted one earlier in this thread. i like to score the fat cap. did you serve it with chimichurri??

also, i just finally got the pun in this thread title. duh.

I didn’t fully score the fat cap, but I gave it a few puncture wounds prior to cooking.

Yes, did serve Chimichurri with it, but that didn’t do much for me in terms of enhancing the experience. Could take it or leave it next time.

Tomahawk ribeye.

Definitely the most fun/satisfying steak to prepare.

Looks incredible. Those stuffed mushrooms look great too.

Very nice indeed!

But IMO, you need to get rid of those plates, at least for photos. They just distract and detract from appreciation for the beautiful food.

Thanks. I know. I unfortunately don't have a day in the plate situation

How was the restaurant and, perhaps more importantly, the Washugyu chuleton — worth paying the premium for in comparison to their other cuts? It's at the top of my list for Vegas in November!
It was positively amazing. My biggest complaint is I am old and my stomach gives out before I can eat half of a two point steak.

How was the restaurant and, perhaps more importantly, the Washugyu chuleton — worth paying the premium for in comparison to their other cuts? It's at the top of my list for Vegas in November!

We had a direct comparison of both the grass fed washugyu ribeye and the black Angus wagyu Ribeye; while the black Angus did have a more prominent "beef" flavor, the washugyu was unquestionably more tender and contained significantly more marbleization. Neither lacked flavor and overall both were fantastic. Enjoyed the washugyu more than the black Angus however, and yes worth the upcharge imo.

We had a direct comparison of both the grass fed washugyu ribeye and the black Angus wagyu Ribeye; while the black Angus did have a more prominent "beef" flavor, the washugyu was unquestionably more tender and contained significantly more marbleization. Neither lacked flavor and overall both were fantastic. Enjoyed the washugyu more than the black Angus however, and yes worth the upcharge imo.
Awesome! That's my mind made up then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom