Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (1 Viewer)

8B161247-AD4C-4B82-8B62-4266AD4D91CD.jpeg
CC52AE6F-2B45-415D-B1CA-432A8D36D0D0.jpeg
One of coworkers went “camping” and sent me these pics of him cooking up some fine campfire steaks. I’m so jealous. This is the same coworker who manages to get bottles of private barrel eagle rare and Elija Craig at cost.

Moments after the second picture his towel became engulfed in flames.

Very nice. Nice crust, too.

A solid medium to me, as well. Medium well toward the end pieces (the two bottom right?), of course.
Thanks!

You've essentially summed up the pros and cons of cooking with cast iron in your reply: superb crusting abilities but uneven distribution of heat makes it tough to get a really consistent doneness throughout (as witnessed with the two bottom right pieces you rightfully pointed out).

Thanks to you all, I’ve learned a little bit about cooking steaks after failing miserably for a while. Tonight I’m going to try the reverse sear method for the first time.

I’ll let you all know the results!

After reading you and @pltrgyst posts I went back over my process. I did forget to blot it. The coals take about 30 minutes to get hot. During that time I salt the steak and put it on the counter. I normally blot it before throwing it on the grill damnt.
I blot it dry very thoroughly three times: before brining and putting it in the fridge; after it comes out of the fridge; after it comes out of the oven before searing it.

One thing I've stopped doing recently, too, is covering it with tin foil when resting after searing. I find it only creates added moisture, which ultimately takes away from the crispiness of the sear.

Thanks!

You've essentially summed up the pros and cons of cooking with cast iron in your reply: superb crusting abilities but uneven distribution of heat makes it tough to get a really consistent doneness throughout (as witnessed with the two bottom right pieces you rightfully pointed out).

Rather than faulting the cast iron, I think that's more an inevitable problem when cooking on a flat surface any piece of meat that is not a consistent thickness. If you're wealthy enough to buy only the thicker half of each tenderloin, this is no problem at all.

Of course, if you're a real glutton for punishment, you can do your sear perfectly with a torch, going very light on the tapered end, but that is well beyond my patience threshold. :cool

Rather than faulting the cast iron, I think that's more an inevitable problem when cooking on a flat surface any piece of meat that is not a consistent thickness. If you're wealthy enough to buy only the thicker half of each tenderloin, this is no problem at all.

Of course, if you're a real glutton for punishment, you can do your sear perfectly with a torch, going very light on the tapered end, but that is well beyond my patience threshold. :cool
That's a great point — never thought of it that way before!

As far as the torching method is concerned, think I'll give it a miss because, knowing my luck...

pirómano-meme.gif

Finally gave the reverse sear a shot. The top two rows are NY strip, bottom two are filet. Oven at 250, patted them dry and brought the internal temp to 115. Tented them and let them sit for 10 minutes as I got the grill as hot as possible. 45 seconds per side on the grill. Probably a little overdone for some of you guys, but even the end pieces that ended up medium/well were melt in your mouth. Unless I am in a time pinch, I will always do my steaks this way.

20211124_200206[1].jpg

“I think there’s been a mistake.”

“Did someone say, steak?”

Attachments

• FB8B8C68-610A-47B9-B376-84AEF6063FC3.jpeg
    FB8B8C68-610A-47B9-B376-84AEF6063FC3.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 77
That's a great point — never thought of it that way before!

As far as the torching method is concerned, think I'll give it a miss because, knowing my luck...

View attachment 808534

Cast iron does heat unevenly yes.

You can preheat cast iron in the oven. I do this as I'm prepping for steak night. Nicely gets the whole body of the pan evenly heated.
20211202_183910.jpg

Cast iron does heat unevenly yes.

You can preheat cast iron in the oven. I do this as I'm prepping for steak night. Nicely gets the whole body of the pan evenly heated. View attachment 839677
That's a great shout! Do you have to bring it up to heat further at all over a flame after putting it in the oven — or is it good to go?

Its good to go. I usually do 375-400.

I still turn the range on to medium high and cook over that.

Having the pan full preheated makes it even and the range helps it hold.

Its good to go. I usually do 375-400.

I still turn the range on to medium high and cook over that.

Having the pan full preheated makes it even and the range helps it hold.
Great advice, thank you! I'll let you know how I get on.

one great steak trick i have learned - if you ever want a nice big real steak on a calorie budget, you can grill an amazing thin cut steak if you freeze it for an hour before you cook it (season it prior to the freezer). then just take it out and sear the hell out of it for ~2 minutes on each side. this allows you to get a nice sear on the outside and still keep the middle a nice medium rare. i usually do this with thin cut ribeye, sometimes new york strip. if you want an even better crust, dust it with a little corn starch after seasoning, just before the freezer step.

Have a buddy over to watch football so I figured I’d go for some nice steaks at Whole Foods (NY Strips).

Cooked sous vide for about 2.5 hours @ 120 deg F. Then seared with avocado oil in cast iron that i had pre-heated in the oven beforehand. Served with air fried red potatoes.

For anyone not familiar with sous vide - first of all, fix that. Also, the first pic below shows the steaks right after I started the sear. Despite their appearance, they’re fully cooked at that point. Not the most appetizing look, but it’s hard to argue with the end result.

8CB358C5-0CDC-49CB-AEEE-F39163703ECC.jpeg

07AF9752-6EBA-4DEE-914C-EFED08313923.jpeg

376BA24C-4B84-445A-B7EF-81D7199B8C5E.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom