Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (7 Viewers)

Sorry, but the eggs in that video are overcooked enough that I'd be sending the dish back for a do-over...
Yeah I don't know why they look like that in the video, anytime we've done it they've been nicely poached.

Sometimes, the best steaks aren't the ones you spend lots of money on and prep for days: $10.99 Delmonico from budget supermarket, Lidl; dry brined for two hours and just cooked in a cast iron skillet. This was served with a Brussels sprouts and bacon gratin – and was probably one of the best steaks I've ever done. *Chef's kiss*

0_Lidl-Delmonico-Thick-Cut-Prime-Rib-Steak-£699.jpg

IMG_20211022_211408.jpg

This may be a odd question but may not... has anyone found a specific finishing salt that takes your steak up one more level?

Maldon. There is no alternative — it's the difference between a great steak and a memorable one, in my opinion. (It's great for dry brining, too.)

Marketing 101. And they're good at it.

Salt is salt. The rest is local minerals, so all that matters is that you find ones you like.

Our favorites have been a number of different small-production Fleur de Sels from the Camargue, in France, Le Saulnier being one of the most widely available (but still small, hand-raked production, not industrial, like Maldon). And Camargue was producing hand-raked salt for over a thousand years before Maldon was distributed, or the northern French version, from Brittany. You really need to visit the Guerande and Saint-Nazaire area and taste the local food...superb!

Snobbism is its own reward! :cool:cool:cool

Last edited:
Beautiful, but I'd like a little more crust on the outside of that sucker. :cool

And what is that white bacterial growth threatening your beautiful fries?

Beautiful, but I'd like a little more crust on the outside of that sucker. :cool

I agree 100% Larry. I'm experimenting with the reverse sear method. I think I need to lower the temp settings just a touch. Right now it is set for 103, then I rest it, then sear. After resting the steak it was close to the serving temp so I didn't get to sear it as long as I wanted. Other than the crust it was cooked perfectly. The flavor was spot on.

And what is that white bacterial growth threatening your beautiful fries?

lol............Horseradish sauce that the wife makes.

I agree 100% Larry. I'm experimenting with the reverse sear method. I think I need to lower the temp settings just a touch. Right now it is set for 103, then I rest it, then sear. After resting the steak it was close to the serving temp so I didn't get to sear it as long as I wanted.
"103", in the center? Maybe that means 123?

Especially after resting it before searing, you should be able to sear for a solid minute -- maybe even 90 seconds -- per side without any additional cooking in the center. Crank that baby up even hotter! :cool

We're heathens who prefer medium-well with just a little pink in the center though
Save the big poker winnings bucks you're wasting on expensive steaks, then.

You must have some old shoes laying around the house that you could warm up and eat instead.

Actually, most wives have a closet full. I hear that old tennis shoes have more flavor than heels....

I cooked it indirect heat until it reached 103. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 12 minutes. Then I seared it for 45 seconds per side.

maybe even 90 seconds

This is what I'm going to try next time.

I've just recently started cooking with a reverse sear. I'd rather error on the side of less crust, but cooked to my specified tastes.

I cooked it indirect heat until it reached 103. Then I wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 12 minutes. Then I seared it for 45 seconds per side.
Interesting. What was the temp after the rest? Were you shooting for rare or medium-rare?

Did you have to blot it dry after the wrap in foil?

Were you shooting for rare or medium-rare?

I shoot for 125. Somewhere between rare and medium rare.

What was the temp after the rest?

I don't know what it was after searing.

I think next time I'll set the temp alarm for 100. Rest for 12, then sear for 90 seconds per side.

All summer I have been trying different techniques to cook these Tomahawks. I'm having fun trying out different styles. I think this reverse sear is my favorite.

While it rested I topped it with a horse radish and chives butter. Otherwise the only seasoning is kosher salt.

Interesting. What was the temp after the rest? Were you shooting for rare or medium-rare?

Did you have to blot it dry after the wrap in foil?

You should blot it dry before searing, no matter what, in order to eliminate the surface moisture. Any moisture/water on the surface needs to be steamed off before the sear reaction can begin, so removing it beforehand reduces the time needed over the direct fire and enhances the sear.

You should blot it dry before searing, no matter what, in order to eliminate the surface moisture. Any moisture/water on the surface needs to be steamed off before the sear reaction can begin, so removing it beforehand reduces the time needed over the direct fire and enhances the sear.

After reading you and @pltrgyst posts I went back over my process. I did forget to blot it. The coals take about 30 minutes to get hot. During that time I salt the steak and put it on the counter. I normally blot it before throwing it on the grill damnt.

I've done reverse sear in the smoker and then on the grill or cast iron. I'll have to do one this week and add pictures.

My wife loves doing steaks in the cast iron and then adding a parmesan crust mix to the top of them and throwing them in the oven. Its my 2nd favorite way to eat a steak but its kind of cheating. She's a keeper too, she like a medium rare steak!

I shoot for 125. Somewhere between rare and medium rare.

I don't know what it was after searing.

I think next time I'll set the temp alarm for 100. Rest for 12, then sear for 90 seconds per side.
That is a lot of carry-over cooking, which is the main reason I stick to sous vide, then immediate blotting and searing. Much quicker, and no carry-over cooking to have to guess about.

Sous vide to 124, blot, sear a minute each side on really hot cast iron, and dig in. Gar-ron-teed. :cool

Marketing 101. And they're good at it.

Salt is salt. The rest is local minerals, so all that matters is that you find ones you like.

Our favorites have been a number of different small-production Fleur de Sels from the Camargue, in France, Le Saulnier being one of the most widely available (but still small, hand-raked production, not industrial, like Maldon). And Camargue was producing hand-raked salt for over a thousand years before Maldon was distributed, or the northern French version, from Brittany. You really need to visit the Guerande and Saint-Nazaire area and taste the local food...superb!

Snobbism is its own reward! :cool:cool:cool
Snobbism is its own reward... absolutely love that saying!

I'll have to try some French ones next time I'm at my parents' place out there — especially the ones you've recommended! Merci!

Stunning piece of Cote de Boeuf from last Friday night at home:

IMG_20211108_203128.jpg

IMG_20211108_203212.jpg

How would people consider this cooked, out of interest?

I would class it as Medium, and thus a bit overdone for my liking, sadly. (Still devoured though, obviously.)

Stunning piece of Cote de Boeuf from last Friday night at home:

How would people consider this cooked, out of interest?

I would class it as Medium, and thus a bit overdone for my liking, sadly. (Still devoured though, obviously.)

Very nice. Nice crust, too.

A solid medium to me, as well. Medium well toward the end pieces (the two bottom right?), of course.

Textbook medium in my book.
If I asked for medium at a restaurant, this is what I want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom