Help Shipping to a fellow German Chipper via USPS (1 Viewer)

Sap

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

First time shipping internationally. Could you double check I am not doing anything incorrectly? I am worried about the shipment being rejected or taxed heavily.

I am shipping 270 chips, probably valued around ~$400-$500, I don't know how accurate I need to be with the value, so I just chose a lower value.

Here is a screenshot of the item information:
1681354725642.png

I had to accept that I had restricted items and may require some additional information to ship?

Then I received a "Calculated Landed Cost Estimate" of a whopping $7.7k:
1681354949613.png

I'm a little hesitant to create the label, just wanted some confirmation that the order will be good to send, or if there are things I have not accounted for.

Thanks for any insight.

Yea I for some reason couldn’t comprehend this is the solution. Thanks for that.

I think them listing the total value as $150 threw me off.
Yup. International declarations are always a "per item" breakdown on value and weight. So if you got 300 chips, it's the value and weight / 300

Or do 270 tokens - quantity 1. Same result, worked for my last box from the US.
Question: Do we need the tarif # when shipping as a private person, not a company?

There is 19% Tax for (almost) any import to Germany. If your declared value plus shipping exceeds 150€ there is additional customs in the 6-10% range. Just for consideration!

Reactions: Sap
Or do 270 tokens - quantity 1. Same result, worked for my last box from the US.
Question: Do we need the tarif # when shipping as a private person, not a company?
USPS could return the box if you do that. They get really sassy if the quantity isn't exact against the box. I had them yell at me before doing that exact thing.

There is 19% Tax for (almost) any import to Germany. If your declared value plus shipping exceeds 150€ there is additional customs in the 6-10% range. Just for consideration!
So it would be beneficial to just have the value be a very small amount?

No customs duties for poker chips in Germany though :)
USPS could return the box if you do that. They get really sassy if the quantity isn't exact against the box. I had them yell at me before doing that exact thing.
Wow, never happened to me but thanks for the tip!

No customs duties for poker chips in Germany though :)

Wow, never happened to me but thanks for the tip!
Yeah, it depends on who's dealing with you, but as I learned my way thru the system, this nail was hammered by some old crotchety mail workers a few times.

They always charge 20% of the declared value with an automated system without opening the package.
So a lower declared value is beneficial for the German chipper if the box makes its way safely to Germany.
Should the package get lost, it might make it harder to argue with the insurance for the full chip value.
I've never had an international package go missing but it should be mentioned.

They always charge 20% of the declared value with an automated system without opening the package.
So a lower declared value is beneficial for the German chipper if the box makes its way safely to Germany.
Should the package get lost, it might make it harder to argue with the insurance for the full chip value.
I've never had an international package go missing but it should be mentioned.
Thank you!

1681408387594.png

When attempting to do this, I get an error stating:

1681408519243.png

Although I listed the package value at exactly $48.60.

My only thought is to just do this all in person at the post office, or claim the quantity as "1". And use the quantity of 270 in the description. But as @Josh Kifer pointed out, this may not be ideal.

View attachment 1118524

View attachment 1118525

My only thought is to just do this all in person at the post office, or claim the quantity as "1". And use the quantity of 270 in the description. But as @Josh Kifer pointed out, this may not be ideal.
I would just do it on paper form and go into the post office.

It could be that you can't insure something for more against a lesser value, as that shows your faking the value for declaration.

I do my international on shippo, not the USPS site.

View attachment 1118524

View attachment 1118525

I don’t think you’re allowed to use cents, I think it has to be whole dollar increments. Try it with 0.20 cents for a value of $54. Unless you were trying to keep under $50.

Also, pretty sure you won’t be able to insure it for more than the value you declare on the form as Josh said.

I don’t think you’re allowed to use cents, I think it has to be whole dollar increments. Try it with 0.20 cents for a value of $54. Unless you were trying to keep under $50 the maybe try changing the total to $49. I think they will round up.

Also, pretty sure you won’t be able to insure it for more than the value you declare on the form as Josh said.

No for your domestic package. However, for any international packages going into an EU country, effective July 2021 we need to include the tariff number. 9504.90.6000 will work for poker chips.

For the customs form, always choose quantity 1. In the description, you can type "270 obsolete game tokens."

No for your domestic package. However, for any international packages going into an EU country, effective July 2021 we need to include the tariff number. 9504.90.6000 will work for poker chips.

For the customs form, always choose quantity 1. In the description, you can type "270 obsolete game tokens."
This is what I ended up doing. I tried multiple ways with quantity being 270, and couldn't get it to work properly.

Just sent it off today so we will see in about a week if it is in Germany. Thanks everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom