Assuming you have a separate SB & BB chips - okay to buy 50-100 SB chips? (1 Viewer)

rnelsonee

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster. I've read a ton of posts and I see some good stuff here. Hoping not to fall down the trap I did 15 years ago when I got my first set :)

I'm looking to build a custom set at CPC. I'm trying for a 600 piece set because buying an Apache case means I have to admit to the spending problem, hah.

Now it's been a while, but when my friends and I played:
  1. We used chips valued at 1, 2, 5, 10 (and up). We like chips on the table and to pretend we are in Rounders.
    1. I know PCF hates this spread, but it worked great for us. Every game, cash & tourney, different friend groups.
    2. I do want to incorporate higher spreads to future proof and who knows what the future brings so I'm not ignoring PCF here
      1. So aside from my SB → BB jump of 2×, I'll probably use 4, 5, and 2½ multiples
  2. We had zero problem with a "multiple" for each chip.
    1. I want denoms (to avoid the "How much is this worth?") but no currency (to be flexible)
    2. So we'll just have "1" be 10¢ most nights, maybe 20¢, whatever. Not an issue. I/we don't mind the math.
So I've got ways to work this for an 6-10 person NLHE cash game with only 600 chips… but it requires to have very few (50 or 100) SB chips so I have BB's (our workhorse) and value chips. So finally my question:

Assuming you have an SB chip and a BB chip, can you get away with a few SB chips (5-10 per player)?

I figure SB's are just used for SB and making change when putting in 5's. I am thinking of something like this, bank is 1,240 SB's

Relative ValueBuyStarting stack ($20 w/10¢ SB)
Sum60048

Misc notes:
Thanks for reading!

I'm not sure what to say. Normally, the workhorse chips are the two denominations that follow what you need for the blinds. But since you use small multiples, the amount you add on won't substantially increase your bank in order to play a larger spread of games. That's the cost of inefficiency, especially if you're planning to get custom clay that averages out to at least $3-4 per chip plus design and waiting time.

Unfortunately, you’re asking specific questions about using a breakdown that the vast majority of people here don’t use.
As @allforcharity mentions, efficiency is important… if you’re scaling back the number of chips from 2,000 to 800, a new breakdown should be considered.

I’m sure the answer is yes. 10 per player is plenty. Probably too many, if you’re trying to conserve chips. I’m pretty sure you could get away with 5.
But good lord, if you’re looking to conserve chips, you don’t play with a big blind chip and a small blind chip. In fact in my experience, if you’re looking to play poker, you don’t play with a small blind chip and a big blind chip.
The only time I’ve seen it done is in a $2-4 fixed limit game, where the entire game was played with $2 chips, but there were some $1s in play for small blinds and split pots and tips.
There’s just no reason to do it in NLHE.

I started to respond with stack advice only to reread your post again and have another idea.

Have you considered ordering a set that is versatile whereby denominations could play differently depending on how you decided?
For example in this set below the 1 could be one cent or one dollar or one unit.... likewise the 25 could play as 25cents or $25 etc....if the 1=1cent, 5=5cent, 25=25 cent then 100=1 dollar and so on. Thus sets like these could really be a jack of all trades. Perhaps consider dropping your 2unit chip and order a non denom set that can play different rolls....if determined on a $2 chip then make those part of your must-have extras.
20220530_074528.jpg

Another example of a chip breakdown that can play multiple roles for cash or tourney single table multiple stakes. Gives you options for 1/2, .1/.2,5/10 most anything. If your stakes may change or you use you chips for multiple roles and you want just one set something along this idea may work well...numbers are clear all that ever adjusts is the fantasy decimal point.
20220601_094411.jpg

Have you considered ordering a set that is versatile whereby denominations could play differently depending on how you decided?
For example in this set below the 1 could be one cent or one dollar or one unit.... likewise the 25 could play as 25cents or $25 etc...
That's a good idea! And for what it's worth, I kept dollar signs off so if I really need to, I could do that. But with your idea, I should have done 25 vs 20 I suppose. And I just got the shipment notice a few hours ago of custom printed cards that have a chip value guide for those who are bad at math. But since we play $0.10 games, it shouldn't be too hard :)

ExampleConversion.png

And the way it worked out, I ended up liking my sample ceramic chips more than CPC, especially given the very modern look of the artwork. And at a third of the cost per chip, I just went up to 1,000 chips (the bulk being 5's) so I can now adapt pretty well to any cash game at my level (over 100 $20 buy ins with multiples from 2× - 4× per denomination jump). I got that shipment notice yesterday (another advantage over CPC, which I still think is an awesome company)

Thanks for the post and ideas!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom