Hello and Thank You (1 Viewer)

Kentucky

Pair
Reaction score
I wanted to start my intro with a thank you. It was about 20 years ago when I got a set of 300 dice chips and had a great night playing my first cash game with some buddies. But if you’d have asked me then how many nights I’d spend playing poker over the intervening 20 years I’d have massively overestimated. Fast forward to this year, around 6 weeks ago,and I’m back from a trip to Vegas with a strong desire to try for a fourth time to get a regular poker night going.
The notion of a custom set of chips crossed my Google search - I do have a semi regular cocktail night at home and some chips with my cocktail theme would be cool. Google eventually led me to @BR Pro Poker and when I saw the Tiki Kings I knew I had to have them (I have a signature Mai Tai, but then, who doesn’t). Looking for more info on the Tiki Kings led me to PCF. Uh-oh. Dutifully, I ordered a single sample set, because you told me to. They were good (and they only had to be not terrible because Tiki) so I quickly ordered a full set.

And then I had three weeks to wait, so what am I going to do? Teach myself to shuffle that sample set and read more Poker Chip Forum. I read and read, about Bounties and Rebuys and starting stacks and moar and tournament denoms and how to chip up and cash denoms and Group Buys (hello @The Nuts ) and Tina and moar… I soaked it all up like a sponge - and kept emailing Kristil to change my order every time I realized I’d made a rookie mistake. (And you don’t need me to tell you she’s a star and handled all my changes with speed and good grace.)

To cut my long story short all your advice paid off. Last night 7 of us Dads from my kid’s soccer team played a T5 tournament, $20 buy-in, with 2000 starting stacks of those Tiki Kings. The bourbon was flowing and the Kings looked great. The T1K custom plaques sprinkled spice to the 1 rebuy and the T25 chip up. The blinds structure was spot on - we finished when y’all said we would - and the bounties spread the money around with 5 of the 8 grabbing at least one.

And the best part - I won my first tournament! I wasn’t sure if winning is the best way to get the game regular but I’m too competitive to pull my punches and I guess some nights you just run hot. My players happily decided I was still down overall considering the investment in chips and cards and table top.

I was too excited to take any pictures- I’ll try harder next time. I already have some guys from work coming over next month.

Welcome! Great way to get into chipping! Run now before you find your wallet permanently empty!

Sounds like a great night all the way around. Congratulations on your win and wear that target on your back proudly till next time. ;)
Welcome to PCF.

I wanted to start my intro with a thank you. It was about 20 years ago when I got a set of 300 dice chips and had a great night playing my first cash game with some buddies. But if you’d have asked me then how many nights I’d spend playing poker over the intervening 20 years I’d have massively overestimated. Fast forward to this year, around 6 weeks ago,and I’m back from a trip to Vegas with a strong desire to try for a fourth time to get a regular poker night going.
The notion of a custom set of chips crossed my Google search - I do have a semi regular cocktail night at home and some chips with my cocktail theme would be cool. Google eventually led me to @BR Pro Poker and when I saw the Tiki Kings I knew I had to have them (I have a signature Mai Tai, but then, who doesn’t). Looking for more info on the Tiki Kings led me to PCF. Uh-oh. Dutifully, I ordered a single sample set, because you told me to. They were good (and they only had to be not terrible because Tiki) so I quickly ordered a full set.

And then I had three weeks to wait, so what am I going to do? Teach myself to shuffle that sample set and read more Poker Chip Forum. I read and read, about Bounties and Rebuys and starting stacks and moar and tournament denoms and how to chip up and cash denoms and Group Buys (hello @The Nuts ) and Tina and moar… I soaked it all up like a sponge - and kept emailing Kristil to change my order every time I realized I’d made a rookie mistake. (And you don’t need me to tell you she’s a star and handled all my changes with speed and good grace.)

To cut my long story short all your advice paid off. Last night 7 of us Dads from my kid’s soccer team played a T5 tournament, $20 buy-in, with 2000 starting stacks of those Tiki Kings. The bourbon was flowing and the Kings looked great. The T1K custom plaques sprinkled spice to the 1 rebuy and the T25 chip up. The blinds structure was spot on - we finished when y’all said we would - and the bounties spread the money around with 5 of the 8 grabbing at least one.

And the best part - I won my first tournament! I wasn’t sure if winning is the best way to get the game regular but I’m too competitive to pull my punches and I guess some nights you just run hot. My players happily decided I was still down overall considering the investment in chips and cards and table top.

I was too excited to take any pictures- I’ll try harder next time. I already have some guys from work coming over next month.
Fantastic intro post and congratulations @Kentucky ... since you're in Knoxville, I'm guessing the user name has more to do with the delicious refreshments enjoyed during the game! Haha

Our home game is usually $10 buy ins T15k/ T25 based. We have some inexperienced players and find a few more big blinds helps them.navigate through a few mistakes and still survive!

Our group are tournament only as well, but if you ever hope to get a cash game going, Micro stakes can be a lot of fun! We recently had a member design a really cool set of chips that go all the way down to pennies and they can be made on the same blanks as your Tiki King chips.

I suggest NOT being like the rest of us and jumping off the deep end right off the break, but something to consider. I have not successfully talked the home team into playing micro cash yet but we are ready to go when it happens. Here is our set.
20220413_182228.jpg

This can be a dark rabbit whole if the chipping bug bites you... there is no cure and the only remedy is moar chippies! You will also find that most of us are enablers. Lol

Here is a link if you do find yourself itching for more. Of course you could buy lower denoms and just use your Tikis, just make sure all of your chips are back in the bank after the tourney before playing cash. You can also use the 100 x mulitplier meaning your T5 chip would be used as nickles, T25 would be a quarter and so on if you wanted to try a cash game instead of buying more chips.

But back to enabiling here is a link. Haha

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/super-poker-world-ceramic-chips.88888/

Best of luck woth the home game!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for reading and digesting all corners of this forum! It is great to see new members utilizing our communities input and enjoying themselves!
The fun part - when you start to dive into the many threads covering home bars, custom tables, and custom chips! It is an unforgivable rabbit hole lol in any event happy to hear all the good news. Looking forward to future posts and pictures from you!

Fantastic intro post and congratulations @Kentucky ... since you're in Knoxville, I'm guessing the user name has more to do with the delicious refreshments enjoyed during the game! Haha

Our home game is usually $10 buy ins T15k/ T25 based. We have some inexperienced players and find a few more big blinds helps them.navigate through a few mistakes and still survive!

Our group are tournament only as well, but if you ever hope to get a cash game going, Micro stakes can be a lot of fun! We recently had a member design a really cool set of chips that go all the way down to pennies and they can be made on the same blanks as your Tiki King chips.

I suggest NOT being like the rest of us and jumping off the deep end right off the break, but something to consider. I have not successfully talked the home team into playing micro cash yet but we are ready to go when it happens. Here is our set.
View attachment 904426
This can be a dark rabbit whole if the chipping bug bites you... there is no cure and the only remedy is moar chippies! You will also find that most of us are enablers. Lol

Here is a link if you do find yourself itching for more. Of course you could buy lower denoms and just use your Tikis, just make sure all of your chips are back in the bank after the tourney before playing cash. You can also use the 100 x mulitplier meaning your T5 chip would be used as nickles, T25 would be a quarter and so on if you wanted to try a cash game instead of buying more chips.

But back to enabiling here is a link. Haha

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/super-poker-world-ceramic-chips.88888/

Best of luck woth the home game!

Fellow Chipper Ben
When I arrived in Knoxville my buddies called me Kentucky when I said I was from the UK - Go Wildcats - because I meant the one on the other side of the Atlantic.

I did get enough $1s and 25c of the Tiki Kings so that I can break the Cardinal rule and play cash and tournament with the same set. I can probably do 1 table of T5 or 2 at T1, or a table of 25/25 or 25/50. So sufficiently flexible that I won’t need more chips for a while. Dang it.

Thanks for the welcome.

When I arrived in Knoxville my buddies called me Kentucky when I said I was from the UK - Go Wildcats - because I meant the one on the other side of the Atlantic.

I did get enough $1s and 25c of the Tiki Kings so that I can break the Cardinal rule and play cash and tournament with the same set. I can probably do 1 table of T5 or 2 at T1, or a table of 25/25 or 25/50. So sufficiently flexible that I won’t need more chips for a while. Dang it.

Thanks for the welcome.
Yeah the other UK... across the Pond! But OK deal I'll be a Wildcats Fan! Haha that's awesome, good ole Tennessee Boys! My family in Morristown, not too far north of you, I can attest to the fact that anything said must obviously revolve around college FB.

Sounds like you did you homework and did it right the first time. Just hope you never get your hands on real clay chips... it's all downhill from there! Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom