Has anyone installed vinyl plank flooring? (1 Viewer)

personally i’m a big fan of the row by row method. i’ve done 5 laminate, 2 vinyl. things i’ve learned:

#1!! square your room. don’t rely on the starting wall for square. if it’s way out, split the difference. there’s videos on how to do that
2- measure out your room and figure out your last row width. nothing worse than getting to the end and seeing you need 3/4 of an inch to cover.and now have a thin strip of board to cut. again, split the difference.
3- after you get 3 rows down, check your square again. and keep checking. it’s surprising how much things can shift around while walking, prying pushing etc. your spacers will help with this.
4- most brands should click in easily. lay the next row flat in the groove, assembling the short ends by placing them in at a 30-45 degree angle. once that’s done, take the whole row and lift up at an angle and press it in to the groove. work your way down gently wiggling it into place. you’ll here a light click when it goes. sometimes you’ll have a trouble board in the mix. lightly tap it in with a scrap piece.
5- if you have to beat on anything to get it to work, something is wrong! inspect the boards for debris/defects. i used a hammer maybe 3 times on a 700 sq foot section.

hope this helps. i put my first floor in backwards! all 300 feet of it..yup

personally i’m a big fan of the row by row method. i’ve done 5 laminate, 2 vinyl. things i’ve learned:

#1!! square your room. don’t rely on the starting wall for square. if it’s way out, split the difference. there’s videos on how to do that
2- measure out your room and figure out your last row width. nothing worse than getting to the end and seeing you need 3/4 of an inch to cover.and now have a thin strip of board to cut. again, split the difference.
3- after you get 3 rows down, check your square again. and keep checking. it’s surprising how much things can shift around while walking, prying pushing etc. your spacers will help with this.
4- most brands should click in easily. lay the next row flat in the groove, assembling the short ends by placing them in at a 30-45 degree angle. once that’s done, take the whole row and lift up at an angle and press it in to the groove. work your way down gently wiggling it into place. you’ll here a light click when it goes. sometimes you’ll have a trouble board in the mix. lightly tap it in with a scrap piece.
5- if you have to beat on anything to get it to work, something is wrong! inspect the boards for debris/defects. i used a hammer maybe 3 times on a 700 sq foot section.

hope this helps. i put my first floor in backwards! all 300 feet of it..yup
Solid tips, and thank you. I’m skipping the measuring thing... sounds silly I know, but our product has 3 widths of boards. Once I get close, I can determine which boards to end with. I did 2 rows when I got home, and it was much easier when doing it the correct way.

Was going to continue, but a family emergency just took priority

So... once you do this the CORRECT way, it’s actually very easy to do. Did this section with no assistance in about 45 min. (7 rows or so)

I just installed this stuff in my house after remodeling. We love it. I pretty much took the same approach as saskbull, and it came out great. It's pretty easy to install if everything is flat and square. Just keep checking alignment after each row. And pay attention to the edges of the rows you've already laid down as they can shift sideways on you when you tap in new pieces.

I just installed this stuff in my house after remodeling. We love it. I pretty much took the same approach as saskbull, and it came out great. It's pretty easy to install if everything is flat and square. Just keep checking alignment after each row. And pay attention to the edges of the rows you've already laid down as they can shift sideways on you when you tap in new pieces.

View attachment 238521View attachment 238522View attachment 238523View attachment 238518
That looks great. Nice job Travis

Y

What was your ah-ha breakthrough? Im doing 500 sf of lifeproof this week.

I had the male/female ends backwards (one end has a tab, one a notch. (The male is the notch, not the tab). I’m sure that will end up in the out of context thread.

Once I put the boards the correct way, it is really easy. I have 1600 sq ft to to. Well, 1500 now.

I also bought a laminate/vinyl plank cutter on Amazon. It was $100 and worth it’s weight in gold. Mark the cut, put it in the cutter, and pull the handle.

Aren't you supposed to put a foam underlay under floating plank flooring? Does this not help level out the floor?
Depends on the flooring. Mine is Coretec flooring which has a cork layer in the back so you can just float it without any foam

Depends on the flooring. Mine is Coretec flooring which has a cork layer in the back so you can just float it without any foam

I got the same stuff last year and it's great with the kids and the dogs.

I decided to save myself the headache and have it installed to save the headache since there were about 7 layers of linoleum in my kitchen and dining room. Which turned out to be all that was holding the floor up and I got spend an entire night after work replacing the rotted sub floor so the install could continue in the morning.

Messed up in a few places, and some of my walls are all over the place. Main basement is done, with the 300 sq ft playroom to finish Sunday. I’ll install the quarter round during the week. All things considered, I think it looks good. Did most of this in 3 days. Once I got the hang of it, it went quickly.

... and finished ....

Completed the "playroom" yesterday. Made 2 mistakes in there, both can be covered up with a rug. :) One is actually behind the door, and you wouldn't know it unless you were looking for it. The other is right when you walk in. You can't really see it, but if you step on it, you will feel it (boards didn't join up right, and I had already moved passed it and didn't feel like pulling everything up).

Here is the boys room:
pr.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom