Has anyone installed vinyl plank flooring? (1 Viewer)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
3 days in, and I can’t get the 2nd row to stay on the 1st. I’ve broken almost every board I’ve touched (about $250 worth of product). I’m ready to quit, since I can’t even start.

Anyone have experience with this crap

I assuming this is tongue and groove / "click together" flooring? Sometimes it's helpful to make a "beat board" out of some scrap. Rip the plank so that you end up with a flat surface to use a mallet on. Then you can tap the board in if the interface is very tight. Use the left over end (tongue) to make sure you dont damage the groove of the good flooring piece.

It’s concrete... but it should be fairly level

You’d be surprised by how not level it can be. When my basement floor was just done and my first floor slab area both had to have leveling agent put down first. It really does make installing much easier.

If you had carpet down before it wouldn’t have mattered.

First things first, can you take 1 piece and lock it together with another piece? It's not unheard of to get a batch of flooring with a defect in the tongue/groove. See if you can lock 2 pieces together so that they lay flat and don't come undone without lifting one off the floor. Inspect the tongue and groove areas for irregularities. If you suspect they are defective, call Home Depot and ask them for assistance/customer service.

With those tongue and groove click floors, it's more of an art. If you come in at the wrong angle when pairing the tongue and groove or are pushing too hard (or soft), the tongue can snap off when you drop it down.

Usually you have to come in at an angle, fully seat it using a beat board/mallet, and then lower it to the floor. Just don't force it down.

I’ve done the first row, and it’s all locked. Some pieces slide because the wall is not straight. The second row starts well, but then, as I move on, I can see the 1st row floating. The second row doesn’t lay flat, and if I correct the current board, the first boards of the second row come out. Then, I can just, with ease, remove the second row as it really isn’t locked in

This is what I’m getting..

I recommend snapping a line on the floor to make sure your first row is straight. Cut some some spacer blocks to hold the first row away from the wall the desired distance . You'll have to pad some of the spacers as you go along your wall to make sure your first row stays straight as you add new rows. Make sense?

I've found it easier to put together a whole row and then try to work it together with the previous row...never tried with vinyl, only laminate. Be gentle and take your time.

Once you get your first row perfectly straight (and held in postion by your spacers), Take the starter of the next row, hold it at about a 45 degree angle (may be different angle, have to experiment to find the best approach) with the groove were it needs to go. Then take your beat board and mallet, and TAP the board into the groove. As it gets inserted, it will generally start to naturally lay more flat with each tap.

I was thinking about doing my basement myself, (also with t&g vinyl) but after reading this thread, I'm not trying that. Good luck, buddy!

I was thinking about doing my basement myself, (also with t&g vinyl) but after reading this thread, I'm not trying that. Good luck, buddy!

It's the best flooring for a basement and likely worth the learning curve. The stuff is almost bullet proof once down.

Not sure how to explain this so hopefully you can understand. That first row can float in and out until you get the subsequent row installed. Pry the first row from the back so that everything lines up. Also when clicking together make sure the board is angled to lock in once you lower the board to the floor.

If it’s like I think it is floor level won’t make a difference as the boards will warp to the floors level.

Hopefully that is helpful

Just did our whole house (2 story) with same product. It is supposed to accommodate non level surfaces such as floating over tile etc. Have you tried laying your first 2 rows together in the middle of the room and then sliding the whole section into position against the spacers?

Just did our whole house (2 story) with same product. It is supposed to accommodate non level surfaces such as floating over tile etc. Have you tried laying your first 2 rows together in the middle of the room and then sliding the whole section into position against the spacers?
This might be my next move. I’ve run out of patience today. I KNOW, once I get the 1st 2-3 rows set, the rest will be a breeze. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This might be my next move. I’ve run out of patience today. I KNOW, once I get the 1st 2-3 rows set, the rest will be a breeze. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes walking away for a day makes a big difference. Start fresh the next day. Often works for me when I am struggling with a project like this.

Like people said the spacers are important to keep the first row from moving around. From what I remember you place the long edge into the previous row and then with a rubber mallet you tap the short edge down on top of the last piece and it would actually click into place.

Sometimes it needed a little extra force pushing the long edges together, the beater block mentioned works great.

Once I figured out the tricks to it it was super easy/fast.

I've installed plenty of laminate flooring and Used this type of kit.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-Laminate-and-Wood-Flooring-Installation-Kit-10-28/202832701
I would think it should work for what you are doing.
I've watched about 15 videos on this flooring. Most of the videos show how it works (and how easy it is) once you have several rows started. Getting the first few rows has been the challenge.

After a few phone calls from some friends, I think I was doing it wrong, and will try again later today. (I'm at the office for a few hours today, and it is quiet as can be). I'll probably watch a few more videos before I leave for the day.

Watching videos <> doing the work. (if that was the case, I'd be a future hall of fame QB in the NFL... ;-) )

as Steverino stated get that kit if you already don't have it. Block on row 2 and hammer in until nice and tight. When I did my floor i left the spacers between the floor and wall so as you are putting in more rows you have something solid to push against. I would also kneel on the previous installed rows to have more weight to snap the next rows in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom