Has anyone ever done business with ThePuertoRicoMint? (3 Viewers)

but your recent ”he-can-do-whatever-he-wants-and-doesn’t-have-to-obey-your-commands” comment was out of line.
I disagree
b. assuming that I have no consideration at all for those conducting their own business,
Yes, I have assumed that. Because you completely ignored his response. And I was trying to help you reconsider your approach.

And while I’m helping, maybe consider this:
I’m a member of an established poker forum, trying to find available chips in which to make a future investment. If you could provide me with your asking price I can determine if it would be in my projected budget.
How do you think he took that?
You want to make an investment? What, like buy low, sell high? That’s HIS job. And now you’ve implied that you want to low-ball him.

Anyway, if I’ve offended you, you should ignore me - I’m just an internet stranger, so who cares. But I’m not just replying to you. I’m replying to the community. Because it’s a good discussion.

I know I've dealt with him and I recall it going smoothly.

I'm sure the dude gets thousands of lowballs and is probably trying to protect his time.

I know I've dealt with him and I recall it going smoothly.

I'm sure the dude gets thousands of lowballs and is probably trying to protect his time.
This.
I helped a business that sells appliance parts on eBay a while back. It's amazing how many messages they would get with lowball offers in their eBay store.

You want to make an investment? What, like buy low, sell high? That’s HIS job. And now you’ve implied that you want to low-ball him.
“An investment“ doesn’t necessarily mean I will resell, and from a business perspective it definitely doesn’t mean I want to low-ball him. Just in case you didn’t know, low-balling mean that you offer to pay a below market-value price with the intent to swindle someone. In any transaction (from an ethical standpoint) it would benefit both parties if they both get what they want. Just because I “ignored him” and didn’t make the initial offer doesn’t mean that was my intent. Wouldn’t it seem like I was going to low-ball him if I first made an offer without knowing at what price he values his goods?? Again, you jump to conclusions and put words in my mouth with slanderous intent! You know what happens when you make assumptions, right?

I welcome civilized and respectful dialogue, and I agree that such is beneficial to this community, but if you wish others (and myself) to consider your words and intent as supportive, valuable, and positive then you need to rethink how you speak here.
You should be setting a good example for all members here!

This.
I helped a business that sells appliance parts on eBay a while back. It's amazing how many messages they would get with lowball offers in their eBay store.
Exactly! That’s the reason why I didn’t make an offer without knowing what/how he valued his goods (especially for large orders)!
That’s how you haggle/negotiate fair prices.
At least you and @Sprouty know how that works!

Bought a Ritz $25. Took them 10 days for them to ship out. Packaging was pretty bad, so I left a positive feedback and will never buy from them again.

They’re more of a business than chip collector, so to them time is money I think.

Bought a Ritz $25. Took them 10 days for them to ship out. Packaging was pretty bad, so I left a positive feedback and will never buy from them again.

They’re more of a business than chip collector, so to them time is money I think.
Why would you leave positive feedback for a negative experience?

Why would you leave positive feedback for a negative experience?
I usually don’t leave neutral or negative unless someone really pissed me off. Positive feedback, but I think left 2 stars on shipping time and communication. Yes packaging was bad but chip wasn’t damaged or broken, so didn’t piss me off as much on that part

How about tree fiddy?
Tree fiddy? I was going to buy some chips off of him So he came to my door. I asked him how much for a chip. He replied" I'm going to need about tree fiddy"

Well It was about that time I realized that he wasn't a poker chip collector And he was about eight stories tall and a crustacean from the mesozoic era.

Exactly! That’s the reason why I didn’t make an offer without knowing what/how he valued his goods (especially for large orders)!
That’s how you haggle/negotiate fair prices.
At least you and @Sprouty know how that works!
Actually , I was sympathizing with the seller a bit here. He listed a price (I understand for only a single) but without knowing how serious you are, it may not be worth it for him to do more work.
An offer to him would have likely made it clear to him if he should proceed further with negotiations. He has no idea if you’re willing to pay close to what he might sell them for…or if you’re way off.

Actually , I was sympathizing with the seller a bit here. He listed a price (I understand for only a single) but without knowing how serious you are, it may not be worth it for him to do more work.
An offer to him would have likely made it clear to him if he should proceed further with negotiations. He has no idea if you’re willing to pay close to what he might sell them for…or if you’re way off.
He‘ll never know unless he asks.
Follow me now… If he asks me to make an offer, and if what I think is a fair offer he considers too low, I’m automatically labeled a low-baller and he just refuses to do business with me, right? If he gets so many of these offers from schemers (as many have stated) then I’ve unwittingly lumped myself in with that group when I just want to do honest business.

On the other hand, if I ask him to give me his best price, I have a better chance to make an acceptable counter offer without offending the seller and conveying my serious intent to make a purchase. He still has the option to refuse, I still have the option to negotiate, and we’ll both still have the option to amicably walk away.

But he can make all the same arguments— too high, he might lose a sale; too low, he leaves money on the table. It sounds like you’ve perfectly captured the idea that a person is better off not being the one to offer first in a negotiation, but you’re only applying it to yourself and not acknowledging that it applies to him, too. Not right or wrong, but you’re both motivated to not go first.

But he can make all the same arguments— too high, he might lose a sale; too low, he leaves money on the table. It sounds like you’ve perfectly captured the idea that a person is better off not being the one to offer first in a negotiation, but you’re only applying it to yourself and not acknowledging that it applies to him, too. Not right or wrong, but you’re both motivated to not go first.
From his perspective, it’s a good way to weed out the shysters (not the lawyer kind but the bad-business kind). If I were that seller and someone asks about a large purchase, I wouldn’t hesitate to set an asking price first. If the single feebay price of $10.xx is set high to account for fees, taxes, and shipping costs, and I want to know if this buyer is serious about making a purchase from me, I would give a lower price than the singles auction - low enough to show that you’re willing to negotiate a fair price if they are. If they counter with something ridiculously lower than any reasonable chipper would offer, it stops there because I’d know they were out to rip me off. One exchange is all it would take to weed them out and move on.
If they counter with a good ball-park figure, then I’d know the person is serious and we can proceed with haggling for a mutually beneficial price.

There‘s no risk on the seller’s part by setting an initial (lower) asking price because the serious buyer will stick around and make a reasonable offer.

He‘ll never know unless he asks.
Follow me now… If he asks me to make an offer, and if what I think is a fair offer he considers too low, I’m automatically labeled a low-baller and he just refuses to do business with me, right? If he gets so many of these offers from schemers (as many have stated) then I’ve unwittingly lumped myself in with that group when I just want to do honest business.

On the other hand, if I ask him to give me his best price, I have a better chance to make an acceptable counter offer without offending the seller and conveying my serious intent to make a purchase. He still has the option to refuse, I still have the option to negotiate, and we’ll both still have the option to amicably walk away.
He doesn't need to ask. You're the one looking to get the chips for a lower price in volume than the price he has already given you.
You're worried that if you make a fair offer, and he feels it's too low, he wont negotiate further. If by fair, you mean a price you're willing to pay, and he says no...you're pretty much done, right? Or were you willing to go higher?
I think he wants to know what your ballpark is, so that he can determine if it's worth his time. Why not just offer him a number that you're comfortable with, and see where it goes?

He doesn't need to ask. You're the one looking to get the chips for a lower price in volume than the price he has already given you.
You're worried that if you make a fair offer, and he feels it's too low, he wont negotiate further. If by fair, you mean a price you're willing to pay, and he says no...you're pretty much done, right? Or were you willing to go higher?
I think he wants to know what your ballpark is, so that he can determine if it's worth his time. Why not just offer him a number that you're comfortable with, and see where it goes?
I did make an offer, soon after some members vouched for him.

I believe that if someone has what someone else wants, it’s the seller who should state the price first. Since they didn’t do that in this case, I was apprehensive about taking the risk of making the initial offer. I lucked out and was able to make a deal, so it’s a ‘win’ for both of us!

Again, it’s been my experience that when I make a reasonable first offer, I’m scoffed at and told a price set way higher than actual ball-park worth, or simply told to bugger off. Nobody’s got time for games, and I’m more than happy to take my business (and money) elsewhere if they give that type of response.
I‘m happy this seller turned out to be the better sort!

For price negotiable, it always disadvantage to the party who offer a price first

So it not surprise that neither party are making the first move and playing the waiting game

This is especially true for limited supply item like the item mentioned by the OP.

The only time you going to get a straight out pricing is from a sales person who is selling direct manufacturing mass market item.

An example will be like Tina Card Mold.

Just saying “buyer/customer is not always right when it come to item that is limited or in demand”

For price negotiable, it always disadvantage to the party who offer a price first

So it not surprise that neither party are making the first move and playing the waiting game
While I completely agree with the whole "whoever names the price first is at a disadvantage"...
I don't think that's the game the seller was playing. To me, it just sounded like he wanted to know if the potential buyer was serious enough about the chips before he went to check at a different location. If he didn't ask for an amount first, I could easily see a case where someone offers an unreasonably low amount after he went and made the trip.
A seller asking an amount the buyer is willing to pay I don't think is unreasonable or an attempt to rip him off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom