I just bought some Chips I don't really know (1 Viewer)

MrMuffin

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I just got those chips off a second hand site in Germany, did anyone here know what they are?

They were pretty cheap so I had to get them. The seller told me he doesn’t know where he got them from and just wanted to sell.
I’m thankful for every help I could get
They look like CPC to me, but I’m not sure because of the bright green color and the missing Brass parts

IMG_1202.jpeg

I agree these are plastic and injected into a mold, but Chipco also made unicorns in clay. Look for the injection nipple when these come in to know for sure.

I think it should be in the ring around the center. I don't see it in your chips, so either the pic is too low res, the injection nipple is on the underside of the chip, or you got clays.

Let us know when the chips arrive.

Last edited:
I agree these are plastic and injected into a mold, but Chipco also made unicorns in clay. Look for the injection nipple when these come in to know for sure.

I think it should be in the ring around the center. I don't see it in your chips, so either the pic is to low res, the injection nipple is on the underside of the chip, or you got clays.

IMG_1206.png

This is the other pic of the seller, because of the color variety of the chips I think it may be clay but could also be UV light for years

I just hope it was clay haha

pretty sure mine are clay. They sound closer to the cards mold set than other plastics. One mine anyways.

I think it should be in the ring around the center. I don't see it in your chips, so either the pic is to low res, the injection nipple is on the underside of the chip, or you got clays.

^ This. Missing injection mark indicates possibly clay material, but the bright green chip shade indicates possibly plastic (no Burt Co./Chipco era green clay chips made in that color afaik). Examine both chip faces.

pretty sure mine are clay. They sound closer to the cards mold set than other plastics. One mine anyways.
Not surprising if your unicorns sound like cards mold ceramics, considering that Chipco's later unicorn plastic material was not very far removed from their nylon material used for their no-mold linen finish 'ceramic' chips.

The lack of a mold injection point is the giveaway indicator for Chipco unicorn clays. It was added when the mold was converted from compression-molded clay to injection-molded plastic use.

I finally received the chips and did a brief inspection. It’s a mix of a super cheap plastic black chip, that has nothing to do with the Unicorn mold chips (the gold printed one is 100% cheap plastic). The chips of the unicorn mold I am not really sure about. If you know anyone who is an „expert“ in these chips, please link him here, so he can help me finding out if they are Plastic or Clay. I can’t really see an injection spot on the chips but Mabye I just don’t see them because I don’t know how they look on these chips
IMG_1274.jpeg
IMG_1273.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg

I finally received the chips and did a brief inspection. It’s a mix of a super cheap plastic black chip, that has nothing to do with the Unicorn mold chips (the gold printed one is 100% cheap plastic). The chips of the unicorn mold I am not really sure about. If you know anyone who is an „expert“ in these chips, please link him here, so he can help me finding out if they are Plastic or Clay. I can’t really see an injection spot on the chips but Mabye I just don’t see them because I don’t know how they look on these chips View attachment 1270850View attachment 1270851View attachment 1270852
Can you show a picture with both sides of the same chip?

The one with hotstamp 5 is an old clay chip, Sq-Di-Sq pattern, an early contemporary of the Di-Sq mold that we know and love and that has been passed down and still in production with CPC today.

The one with hotstamp 5 is an old clay chip, Sq-Di-Sq pattern, an early contemporary of the Di-Sq mold that we know and love and that has been passed down and still in production with CPC today.
Im pretty sure they are cheap plastic, they are insanely light, you can clearly see the plastic on the chip and they are like 40.5 in diameter.

If you’re interested in them, make me an offer :)

I know the real mold and I think these are like super cheap Chinese knockoff versions of the real chip. In total I have 64 of them

Im pretty sure they are cheap plastic, they are insanely light, you can clearly see the plastic on the chip and they are like 40.5 in diameter.

If you’re interested in them, make me an offer :)

I know the real mold and I think these are like super cheap Chinese knockoff versions of the real chip. In total I have 64 of them

Now that you mention it, the Sq parts of the mold are unusually large, and the outer ring is unusually wide. Which leaves me wondering why they would have chosen this mold pattern, of all types, to replicate? I doubt it was that popular.

Now that you mention it, the Sq parts of the mold are unusually large, and the outer ring is unusually wide. Which leaves me wondering why they would have chosen this mold pattern, of all types, to replicate? I doubt it was that popular.
As a kid I had a checkers set that was edge stamped like the black "5" poker chip in red/black token colours. The only difference was that the rip was crosshatched such that it interlocked with another chip stacked on top once "Kinged". I think the mold was re-used in many toys and games other than just poker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom