Hand from 125k guaranteed main event (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Playing 125k guaranteed day 1 of silks poker room main event

Blinds 600/1200 with a 200 Ante. Hero raises in EP to 3200 with 88 and a stack of 53k

Button (new to table, guy in 30's) has 26k and calls, asian lady in blinds calls

Flop 35J rainbow. There's 12,200 in the pot, Hero leads for 4k, button calls, asian lady folds

Turn pairs the Jack and puts two spades out. Hero bets 6k, button shoves for 19k total, Hero?????

Playing 125k guaranteed day 1 of silks poker room main event

Blinds 600/1200 with a 200 Ante. Hero raises in EP to 3200 with 88 and a stack of 53k

Button (new to table, guy in 30's) has 26k and calls, asian lady in blinds calls

Flop 35J rainbow. There's 12,200 in the pot, Hero leads for 4k, button calls, asian lady folds

Turn pairs the Jack and puts two spades out. Hero bets 6k, button shoves for 19k total, Hero?????

I think it is more likely the villain has a middle to low pocket pair. Is a jack in his range here? With no raise on the turn I don't think you are dodging a flush draw either. A5, A3, AJ?? Tough spot. You have 27K left if you call it. I'm trying to find a fold...???

I like a bigger bet on the flop maybe 7 or 8k. Then you can get away from his jam if he has a jack. On the turn I dont know. Without a read I'm probably calling.

It’s a pretty gross spot, but the jam does look a bit fishy. I’d say he is more likely to be doing this with a flush draw or some kind of pocket pair.

Would he really jam with a jack? It’s possible, but I just don’t see the point of bet folding 6k if you are prepared to fold to a jam of 13k more.

I’m probably sigh calling here. Then again I’m almost exclusively a cash game player, so what do I know about tourney play.

I am not a great folder but maybe do in this scenario. My worry would be more 99/1010 rather than a J.

If they have found some super move with two small spades then good for them. But the pot odds are so good we should be calling in a LOT of situations. Does this guy know that?

Actually, he could think his 77 is good with the extra J.

(FYI - I bet bigger pre-flop and on flop and then I am committed at this point on the turn, so don't have this issue)

Alright, now to the results. I was actually the button in this hand.

I was pretty sure on the flop and turn that the guy betting was not comfortable with his hand strength, but felt like he had to keep firing from OOP

On the flop I would've jammed, but the lady in the blinds was still to act behind me

On the turn I studied him after his bet and could tell he felt uncomfortable

I had 66 and jammed. I felt like he had AK/AQ and didn't want to just call and let him outdraw me on the river

I also felt like if he held a pair higher than my 6's he might lay it down, as I thought my smooth call on the flop looked like a hand with a Jack in it that might be worried he raised pre with an overpair

It took him awhile but he eventually made the call, J on the river and that was the end of my flight

The problem was fold equity. I was expecting him to check the turn, but when he bet 6k it took away my fold equity, there was just too much $$$ in the pot at that point, and I was ranging him heavier on two overs that couldn't call

This is why they have set mining, so you don’t have to get out of line with a middle pair in early position.
I think it’s more likely than not that you’re ahead. Why else would he put it all in? Because he made trips and doesn’t want you hitting the flush? Probably not.
There’s 45k in the pot now? You you’ll have to risk another 13k to have a shot at it? Leaving you with about 20 bigs? I think you have to call him. It’s possible he’s got you beat with pocket 9’s or 10’s but I think he’s just got a suited ace. Hope it’s not spades.

Glad to hear you were the button. I don’t like how he played those 8’s. Go get ‘em next time!

That 2nd jack didnt help either. If the 2nd jack doesnt come hes probably going to fold.

Hes probably not betting again on the turn there without atleast some kind of hand.

You are correct about the fold equity. You didnt have enough behind to make him lay down a reasonable hand.

Also I think 66 against an early position raise should probably be folding pre flop here more often than not. Especially considering your stack size.

I'd say fold>jam>call preflop
And Fold>jam>call on the the flop also...... given your read maybe a call is ok to set up a move if he checks the turn,...... but when he fires out I think you have to fold.

You're right, my stack size was too small to be playing small pocket pairs, I should've folded pre

I'm ok with my flop call, I felt his small flop bet in relation to the pot meant he felt he had to bet, but didn't want to commit to the hand

My turn shove sucks because I have zero fold equity. Dude is getting like 3:1 to call me there. I mucked this one up

I'd say fold>jam>call preflop.
Id agree with that. It’s scary jamming into an early position raiser. But I guess I’d look at it like it was a weak raise. If he had a monster, he should have raised more. Or he could have limped and let somebody do the raising for him. (Or I suppose it’s possible that he’s dumb with bet sizing.) I probably would have folded preflop, but now that I think about it, I think getting it all in there is the right play.

Id agree with that. It’s scary jamming into an early position raiser. But I guess I’d look at it like it was a weak raise. If he had a monster, he should have raised more. Or he could have limped and let somebody do the raising for him. (Or I suppose it’s possible that he’s dumb with bet sizing.) I probably would have folded preflop, but now that I think about it, I think getting it all in there is the right play.

Yeah I dont really like a jam here preflop with 6s, but I like it better than a call. Especially with the blinds still behind..... if one of them raises you have to fold.

The muck up is describing the hand one way then telling us you were actually not hero but the button. I found this hard to figure out after the fact. Why not just describe the hand the way it was really laid out?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom