Hand Analysis - $100/$200 NLHE Home Game (1 Viewer)

Yup but we like that right? We dont mind a call from say Kd Tc.
Doesn't change much, just bloats the pot up more. Doesn't push out any hands. Charge for draw, but could be already behind. I guess a big bet targeting draws and push out higher pocket pairs and maybe 10s or JJs. Also the pocket pairs might be a K or Q diamond so I don't mind a check call.

It gets more money in while we are ahead - which is a good thing.
Sorry I've update last post.
AK AQ KK A5 A4 A3 QQ vs JJs 10s KQ
Think there's more hands that are ahead of him vs behind.

Could maybe make A5 A4 JJs 10s QQ fold, but given he's drunk I'd check call.

Last edited:
If we check down JJ any time there is an over card on the board, then we will be leaving a lot of money on the table vs villain who can have any two. We also let him get there with random gutshots that we aren’t charging on flop/turn. These are tricky spots but there is a lot of value in learning how to navigate them as best as possible.

If we check down JJ any time there is an over card on the board, then we will be leaving a lot of money on the table vs villain who can have any two. We also let him get there with random gutshots that we aren’t charging on flop/turn. These are tricky spots but there is a lot of value in learning how to navigate them as best as possible.
Not sure what hands we're really ahead here though. Updated previous post with hand range vs.

Bet $28K and fold to any raise. Diamond river you’ve got a lot of value with the 3rd nuts. Good chance he lays down here if he’s seen you play a flush draw like this before. I know he’s drunk but he doesn’t seem irrationally sloppy with that bluff he pulled on a previous hand after a correct read on the other player.

If he flats the river is gonna be interesting.

This is a great example of why I don’t play holdem. I have no idea where I am in this spot. I am never folding either, especially with a flush draw. I would be betting away and praying the guy does not have an ace….. and probably rebuying. Remember Mr. Magoo? That is me at the holdem table.
2EF9ABB6-A0B9-476B-AE05-45D595DBA6C3.gif

First I would declare a balk. After the runners advanced I would bet 2/3 pot for value.

Villains range is way wider than people think - first thing that goes when you’re drunk is preflop fold discipline (trust me, lolz).

I don’t think villain has a flush draw - feels like he would’ve bet it on the turn. Weak ace is possible but he likely has 2 pair or a set now if so and he’ll likely reraise and it’s an easy fold.

What else is in his range? Any pocket pair, really any connectors and any two face cards.

Last edited:
Villains range is way wider than people think - first thing that goes when you’re drunk is preflop fold discipline (trust me, lolz).

I don’t think villain has a flush draw - feels like he would’ve bet it on the turn. Weak ace is possible but he likely has 2 pair or a boat now if so and he’ll likely reraise and it’s an easy fold.

What else is in his range? Any pocket pair, really any connectors and any two face cards.
A boat? Not sure how fast he drank 15 within that time frame, but even semi drunk would know to fold.

I would have said everything @Senzrock had said. Against a "normal" player I range bet this flop as the pf 3 bettor. Against a drunk guy likely to raise a lot, I like a check call. Turn I lean more towards check, though it's very likely we are ahead and blocking him if he has a single diamond. So bet can't be bad at all. I'm basically never folding this against a drunk loose cannon they way this hand is developing. I'm not folding to a reasonable turn bet. And I'm not folding almost any river (maybe Q or K I'd fold) to a reasonable bet either.

A boat? Not sure how fast he drank 15 within that time frame, but even semi drunk would know to fold.
I meant set, not boat. The board hasn’t paired (yet).

The guy successfully bluffed someone with 83o or whatever in a previous hand.

He’s drunk, he’s stuck, it’s late. Ranging him tightly is a mistake here. I liked a bet on the flop because if he calls we can start to range him better (and there is an excellent chance he folds a lot of hands that end up rivering us like shitty 2 pair with his connectors).

We gotta bet here or we’re giving up on the hand IMO.

I would have said everything @Senzrock had said. Against a "normal" player I range bet this flop as the pf 3 bettor. Against a drunk guy likely to raise a lot, I like a check call. Turn I lean more towards check, though it's very likely we are ahead and blocking him if he has a single diamond. So bet can't be bad at all. I'm basically never folding this against a drunk loose cannon they way this hand is developing. I'm not folding to a reasonable turn bet. And I'm not folding almost any river (maybe Q or K I'd fold) to a reasonable bet either.
Dropping into check call against drunk villain is how he gets unstuck (trust me - this 2:30a get even bullshit is my bread and butter).

If I’m villain I’m hoping for a check or a small stabbish 10-15K bet from hero. Something I can flat and complete my shitty hand with and then bomb river.

Hello all, new here. K, I would have continued the flop with $8k, but after check check flop, I do that here to get value from villan's wide opening range that looks like it flopped some equity, also some protection for JJ and to help discourage crazy river bluffs - which may come anyway.

Depending on his tolerance, weight and pacing, he could be fine drinking wise. If he spaced them out each hour it's around 1.5 shots per hour. 1.5 is really nothing if you got a big body weight and especially high tolerance. Unless he starting hammering most of them down later in the night more I could see him getting drunk.

Dropping into check call against drunk villain is how he gets unstuck (trust me - this 2:30a get even bullshit is my bread and butter).

If I’m villain I’m hoping for a check or a small stabbish 10-15K bet from hero. Something I can flat and complete my shitty hand with and then bomb river.
I outlined more than just one way to play it on both flop and turn.

Not sure what hands we're really ahead here though. Updated previous post with hand range vs.
You might be surprised, against a player profile like this, how many weaker hands he actually holds. I could try to list them but I would wager it is many many hands (every single pair other than the A, any Diamond + gutshot or even just naked Diamond, few gutshots, also pairs like TT/99/88/77…

Continuing…

————

LA home game, started at 5pm, with buy-ins at $20-$25k, with blinds at $50/$100. 8 players.

Fast forward to 2:30am. Tons of rebuys and adds. Blinds are $100/$200 with tons of straddles. Average stack size is $120k.

Hero is in for $40k, stack is at $125k. Villain stack is at $350k, down about $100k.

Hero is UTG+1, has double straddled to $800.

Villain is in HJ, raises to $2400. Loose aggressive, drunk on at least 15 tequila shots, has been making massive bluffs and showing for the last 4 hours. Villain is also host.

UTG player calls. TAG. Up $40k. Has been trying to play pots with drunk villain.

Hero has :jd::js:.

Plan here is to isolate villain and discourage UTG from calling. Villain will most likely call any raise, so we have to think about bet sizing that will convince UTG player to fold. Given just a call from early position, we’re not putting him on a very strong hand, but we need to raise enough to get him out.

Hero re-raises to $12,000.

Villain instacalls.

UTG player folders.

Flop is :ad::2d::6c:

Everything about this flop is annoying. Villain has shown time and again over the last few hours as he has gotten more drunk that he could have anything. Last action of note was check raising a super tight player on the river with bottom pair and correctly reading that the player wasn’t strong, thereby getting a fold. But villain shouldn’t have been in the hand to begin with, he 3-bet with 82s.

Options are a small C-bet to see where we’re at, but villain’s MO is to raise anything small. We are better off controlling the pot, especially with the ace on the board.

Hero checks, with the intention of calling most bets from the villain.

Villain hesitates. And checks back. (Very curious.)

Turn is :5d:

We have a decision to make here about betting. The check back indicates that villain is not playing an ace, and is most likely chasing an FD, or maybe slow-playing a set. Kd and Qd are well within his range, as he could have easily raised pre-flop with unsuited broadways. A made FD is a possibility, but a bet will figure that out for us.

Hero bets $25,000, a bit under pot size. A raise will give us info, and we will most likely fold, but a smaller bet might induce villain to raise with a smaller diamond than J, given his previous affinity to push out weak bets. We’re hoping for a fold here, especially if he doesn’t have a diamond, and is playing 10s or another medium pair.

Villain standing-tanks for a while. He calls.

River is the :3d:.

At this time, another semi-drunk recreational player who has done a “fold and hold” throws his cards into the muck, but it catches the dealers hand, and a card flips over.

The card that flips over is the :kd:.

He apologizes profusely. Villain looks relatively stoic and has no reaction.

Hero?

Since you are likely calling any check raise from this player w 2nd nutz, better to check call here to invite his bluffs in too, if he has the Qd good on him, but given this villain profile and stack I would think your remaining 80-90k might be going in in either case, and likely going in with the best of it.

Check call also invites him to value own himself with this riv.

Way too fast. We went from preflop to river in four hours.

As for the hand - With the double straddle, the game is somewhat less deep
Preflop - Hero's position is poor but the target is juicy so three bet is in order. Noting we don't feel bad about exploiting drunk players in poker.
Flop - c-bet small pretending to have a big ace.
Turn as played - Bet. villain didn't check a flush draw on the flop. I like Hero's sizing strategy.
River - check / call Let the villain have some option to bluff Hero off the third nut flush ( steel wheel is possible)

Continuing…

————

LA home game, started at 5pm, with buy-ins at $20-$25k, with blinds at $50/$100. 8 players.

Fast forward to 2:30am. Tons of rebuys and adds. Blinds are $100/$200 with tons of straddles. Average stack size is $120k.

Hero is in for $40k, stack is at $125k. Villain stack is at $350k, down about $100k.

Hero is UTG+1, has double straddled to $800.

Villain is in HJ, raises to $2400. Loose aggressive, drunk on at least 15 tequila shots, has been making massive bluffs and showing for the last 4 hours. Villain is also host.

UTG player calls. TAG. Up $40k. Has been trying to play pots with drunk villain.

Hero has :jd::js:.

Plan here is to isolate villain and discourage UTG from calling. Villain will most likely call any raise, so we have to think about bet sizing that will convince UTG player to fold. Given just a call from early position, we’re not putting him on a very strong hand, but we need to raise enough to get him out.

Hero re-raises to $12,000.

Villain instacalls.

UTG player folders.

Flop is :ad::2d::6c:

Everything about this flop is annoying. Villain has shown time and again over the last few hours as he has gotten more drunk that he could have anything. Last action of note was check raising a super tight player on the river with bottom pair and correctly reading that the player wasn’t strong, thereby getting a fold. But villain shouldn’t have been in the hand to begin with, he 3-bet with 82s.

Options are a small C-bet to see where we’re at, but villain’s MO is to raise anything small. We are better off controlling the pot, especially with the ace on the board.

Hero checks, with the intention of calling most bets from the villain.

Villain hesitates. And checks back. (Very curious.)

Turn is :5d:

We have a decision to make here about betting. The check back indicates that villain is not playing an ace, and is most likely chasing an FD, or maybe slow-playing a set. Kd and Qd are well within his range, as he could have easily raised pre-flop with unsuited broadways. A made FD is a possibility, but a bet will figure that out for us.

Hero bets $25,000, a bit under pot size. A raise will give us info, and we will most likely fold, but a smaller bet might induce villain to raise with a smaller diamond than J, given his previous affinity to push out weak bets. We’re hoping for a fold here, especially if he doesn’t have a diamond, and is playing 10s or another medium pair.

Villain standing-tanks for a while. He calls.

River is the :3d:.

At this time, another semi-drunk recreational player who has done a “fold and hold” throws his cards into the muck, but it catches the dealers hand, and a card flips over.

The card that flips over is the :kd:.

He apologizes profusely. Villain looks relatively stoic and has no reaction.

Hero?
We should be winning this hand pretty easily but the pot is also fairly big at this point and our specific hand should not expect to win a pot larger than its current size very often. I would just check-call and expect to be good here nearly always. If villain bets we snap.

Understand it's a home game, but I'd probably advise the host make people throw in the cards to prevent this further on. Luckily in this case it helped you lol. I don't see any fold here to any bet against this specifically loose drunk player. If he has the Qd, pay the man.

For a strategy thread, I'd give no less than four hours a street. I'd prefer twelve though to get better coverage for the discussion.

No doubt villain holds :9c::4d: for the steel wheel. -Or- Villain bluffs with third pair, no kicker no flush.

Someone else said that. What’s a good time lapse between streets?
Everyone has their preferences. I like it when a hand starts in the morning and ends by the late afternoon so a couple of hours between streets. Not too fast, but not dragging it out like some do on here - some literally wait so long that they stop updating the hand on later streets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom