Hand Analysis - $100/$200 NLHE Home Game (1 Viewer)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
LA home game, started at 5pm, with buy-ins at $20-$25k, with blinds at $50/$100. 8 players.

Fast forward to 2:30am. Tons of rebuys and adds. Blinds are $100/$200 with tons of straddles. Average stack size is $120k.

Hero is in for $40k, stack is at $125k. Villain stack is at $350k, down about $100k.

Hero is UTG+1, has double straddled to $800.

Villain is in HJ, raises to $2400. Loose aggressive, drunk on at least 15 tequila shots, has been making massive bluffs and showing for the last 4 hours. Villain is also host.

UTG player calls. TAG. Up $40k. Has been trying to play pots with drunk villain.

Hero has :jd::js:.

Hero?

Last edited:
I believe re-raise is in order. It will definitely narrow hands down. You're going to pay off on the flop that has under cards so why not pre-flop raise? UTG should only have good hands in his position, so more reasons to raise I believe to narrow it down. UTG may be calling loose since he/she knows HJ is drunk. 15 shots in, I'd be calling a bit loose too. He could easily smooth call with top of his range to bring you in, so I think a re-raise will tell more about this hand. Also I would isolate to heads up because I would rather play Jacks heads up instead of three way. I think the UTG bottom of range hands would try and isolate to heads up. Him/her smooth calling seems kind of strong also, but also could be weak depending on how tight they played. If they have been playing tight tight, I'd air on the side of smooth calling. I guess it depends on the degree of how tight UTG is playing to decide to smooth or re-raise. I'm going to pay off the flop most of the time so why not narrow it down pre-flop?

With the situation where UTG knows HJ is drunk, I'd put UTG hand a bit more wide and would have to re-raise to see where they are at. Definitely want that and isolate with Jacks. Also would put pocket queens in a tough spot. Maybe Kings in a tough spot depending how tight UTG is.

Last edited:
Continuing…

————

LA home game, started at 5pm, with buy-ins at $20-$25k, with blinds at $50/$100. 8 players.

Fast forward to 2:30am. Tons of rebuys and adds. Blinds are $100/$200 with tons of straddles. Average stack size is $120k.

Hero is in for $40k, stack is at $125k. Villain stack is at $350k, down about $100k.

Villain is in HJ, raises to $2400. Loose aggressive, drunk on at least 15 tequila shots, has been making massive bluffs and showing for the last 4 hours. Villain is also host.

UTG player calls. TAG. Up $40k. Has been trying to play pots with drunk villain.

Plan here is to isolate villain and discourage UTG from calling. Villain will most likely call any raise, so we have to think about bet sizing that will convince UTG player to fold. Given just a call from early position, we’re not putting him on a very strong hand, but we need to raise enough to get him out.

Hero re-raises to $12,000.

Villain instacalls.

UTG player folders.

Flop is :ad::2d::6c:

Hero?

I think I make it a bigger raise, like 12-15k considering there's a caller after the initial raise. Plenty of dead money in the pot, and we want to take the pot down right now, or at least get HU with the drunk.

I guess this is truly villain dependent.....will he call any cbet because he is drunk/stuck? is there a size he will fold to? will he fire automatically if you check? I probably only bet if I think I can take it down.....if he is playing any 2...hard to know where you are at the rest of the way and I don't want to build a pot without a stronger hand.

I guess this is truly villain dependent.....will he call any cbet because he is drunk/stuck? is there a size he will fold to? will he fire automatically if you check? I probably only bet if I think I can take it down.....if he is playing any 2...hard to know where you are at the rest of the way and I don't want to build a pot without a stronger hand.
Yeah I'd check-call. Even a hand like AK in your position could check that flop even though he's not sober enough to notice that. Could fire into it as C-bet as you probably not folding one flop bet anyways. More diamonds could run or hit your set. I'd air on the side of check-call to pot control. Probably would not want to face raise on this flop and any AK AQ would do this line too for deception/trap as you wouldn't be worry about the flush draw.

Last edited:
This is a spot that can go either check-call or small Cbet. If villain is truly wild, I prefer a check call but our hand is likely still good. One thing you want to avoid is a big Cbet here. Keep it to 1/3 pot or so.

Drunks seldom fold, and we don’t get paid by aggro-bluffers by being aggressive into them, especially OOP. Over the long run I’m looking for spots IP where we can just let them blast off into us.

I’m probably (regretfully) stabbing here, or even check folding/calling dependant on sizing. This villain is likely going to put us in a tough spot, and probably for stacks.

There are many ways to play jacks, and they are all wrong. Has villain been folding at all when in a pot?

If we bet here, repping the ace, villain fold is a good outcome, but will he?

If we bet and get called, against a normal opponent, we could start to range him. Weak ace. Diamond draw. Pair and backdoor straight draw. I'm not sure we can range this villain to anything?

It's been hinted at, but the aggro bluffers pay us when we lay traps for them. This is not a trap. This is a hand with some showdown value and very few ways to improve. We are a looooooooong way from showdown.

Check/fold. To any sized bet.

Greatest thread title ever?

Attachments

• EAD7EA83-101A-4311-9691-4A277E72EBB4.jpeg
    EAD7EA83-101A-4311-9691-4A277E72EBB4.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 109
If Villain's VPIP is like 50%, Hero is still well ahead of his range, so while facing a raise is a gross spot (with the promise of 2 more gross spots to come), it's not necessarily a -EV call. Check/call to reasonably-sized bets if you have a plausible plan for future streets, check/fold otherwise.

There are many ways to play jacks, and they are all wrong. Has villain been folding at all when in a pot?

If we bet and get called, against a normal opponent, we could start to range him. Weak ace. Diamond draw. Pair and backdoor straight draw. I'm not sure we can range this villain to anything?

It's been hinted at, but the aggro bluffers pay us when we lay traps for them. This is not a trap. This is a hand with some showdown value and very few ways to improve. We are a looooooooong way from showdown.

How can he have a backdoor straight draw here? A3 A4 A5? Even though he's drunk, I'd still wouldn't put this in the hand range with the pre-flop action. Seems too exploitive to fold to one barrel. If he double barrel I'd fold.

Last edited:
Why?

Not challenging, just curious about the reasoning.
Because it’s a way ahead/way behind situation. If we decide to bet, which I would be fine with, we bet small to fold out whatever small equity he has, risking the least if he does happen to wake up with a hand. Now of course he could be bluff raising this flop, but getting back to our previous conversation about staying balanced, we want to bet full range here for a small sizing. So AK is 1/3 pot and JJ is 1/3 pot here.

Would not recommend this strategy. Starting with the last comment - you want us to check fold to any amount with the 4th best starting hand in poker vs a loose canon? That might be the most losing fold ever. We are still firmly ahead of his range! If we bet this flop, we are not “repping an ace” - we are repping a hand that beats his hand, which we often have here with JJ.

Continuing…

————

Plan here is to isolate villain and discourage UTG from calling. Villain will most likely call any raise, so we have to think about bet sizing that will convince UTG player to fold. Given just a call from early position, we’re not putting him on a very strong hand, but we need to raise enough to get him out.

Hero re-raises to $12,000.

Villain instacalls.

UTG player folders.

Flop is :ad::2d::6c:

Everything about this flop is annoying. Villain has shown time and again over the last few hours as he has gotten more drunk that he could have anything. Last action of note was check raising a super tight player on the river with bottom pair and correctly reading that the player wasn’t strong, thereby getting a fold. But villain shouldn’t have been in the hand to begin with, he 3-bet with 82s.

Options are a small C-bet to see where we’re at, but villain’s MO is to raise anything small. We are better off controlling the pot, especially with the ace on the board.

Hero checks, with the intention of calling most bets from the villain.

Villain hesitates. And checks back. (Very curious.)

Turn is :5d:

Hero?

I'd still check-call here on the turn even though it'd be apparent you don't have an ace with a check. Turn card doesn't change things too much. Betting wouldn't seem to push him out even if he somehow has a straight draw with A5 A3. K or Q diamond would obviously call. If he bets turn, he probably has an ace, KK or QQ also.

Last edited:
Turn should be decent for us, expect villain to bet most of his FDs. If we want to be conservative, check. But I don’t mind a small bet here, blocking the diamond. Would say 75% check/25% small bet.
Not really blocking diamond I think bc he'll call with a K or Q diamond. FDs?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom