Tourney Halloween "Zombie Resurrection" idea (10 Viewers)

That's why a forced straddle may work well.

Even though the Zombie is forced to make a forced 2xBB bet every hand, he also gets to act last pre-flop, along with having the option to raise regardless of what else has happened prior to his action. And some of those times he will also have decent position *after* the flop, so his 'donation' every hand is really a wild card in terms of strategy.

It's guaranteed to promote action, and the mere dynamic of a live straddle every hand -- from different positions, no less -- will make some of the humans pretty uncomfortable (both of which are right in line with a Zombie being loose in the community, fwiw).
I just imagine 10k stacks a human turns into a zombie at 500/1k level and owes 2k every single hand would be brutal lol. At least 10BB you can push on a semi decent and double. This is so hard!!! To figure out

Just done a quick and dirty calculation based on the zombie resurrecting with an extra 5K in his stack and posting sb antes 8 times per level (24 hands per hour) in the following structure:

Screenshot_20190819_225252.jpg

Resurrecting at the end of level 2 would take just over 5 levels to deplete the extra 5K. Resurrecting at the end of level 5 would take just 3 levels. After that I think the zombie is going to have a hard time surviving unless he has been winning, and continues to win, a lot of hands. Take these guesstimates with a pinch of salt but they are food for thought. If the forced bet was higher then I reckon the zombie stack would have to be much higher than 1.5x

@toynoob I'm glad its got a few people thinking! :D

Just done a quick and dirty calculation based on the zombie resurrecting with an extra 5K in his stack and posting sb antes 8 times per level (24 hands per hour) in the following structure:

View attachment 325692

Resurrecting at the end of level 2 would take just over 5 levels to deplete the extra 5K. Resurrecting at the end of level 5 would take just 3 levels. After that I think the zombie is going to have a hard time surviving unless he has been winning, and continues to win, a lot of hands. Take these guesstimates with a pinch of salt but they are food for thought. If the forced bet was higher then I reckon the zombie stack would have to be much higher than 1.5x

@toynoob I'm glad its got a few people thinking! :D
Ya I'm starting my next thoughts on the zombies coming back first hour with starting stacks hour 2-3 a different stack and hour 3-emd even higher stack. You make a lot of great points. I have already cancelled any Sept game in preparation for my oct 27th "themed game"

It's guaranteed to promote action, and the mere dynamic of a live straddle every hand -- from different positions, no less -- will make some of the humans pretty uncomfortable (both of which are right in line with a Zombie being loose in the community, fwiw).
I might disagree with the numbers but it's comments like this that make me love this thread :D

How many players do you expect to have for this event and what is the buy-in?

How long do you want the tournament to run?

Even though the Zombie is forced to make a forced 2xBB bet every hand, he also gets to act last pre-flop, along with having the option to raise regardless of what else has happened prior to his action. And some of those times he will also have decent position *after* the flop, so his 'donation' every hand is really a wild card in terms of strategy.

Forced straddle would give huge disadvantage to player on left of zombie if he has to always act first preflop

I like idea of ante, so that the zombie rot is dead money and you still get to have other players defend BB more or less as normal each orbit

The two stand out ideas in this thread to me is the 1.5x the starting stacks for re-buys and the forced straddle. I also like the idea of posting antes.

Phone call. Have to head into town. Back in an hour.

Forced straddle would give huge disadvantage to player on left of zombie if he has to always act first preflop

I like idea of ante, so that the zombie rot is dead money and you still get to have other players defend BB more or less as normal each orbit
I was thinking that player action order would still follow normal protocol (UTG always acts first), and Zombie always acts last pre-flop (after BB) regardless of where he's sitting. No extra disadvantage to other positions that way.

I am not into fantasy poker games, nor zombies for that matter, but I get the general concept.

IMO every player who re-buys should fall under the rules of a zombie. I would reduce the number of starting blinds from your normal tournament and lengthen the first two or three levels, essentially the re-buy period. AKA: "Night of the living dead." Maybe 25, 25, 25 (minutes) or 30, 25, 25, starting at 50/100 with 12,000 chip stacks. -- Manage your stack carefully or you will become a zombie.

First player who re-buys is required to straddle every hand. The same goes for the last surviving zombie. Two or more zombies have to post a mandatory ante equal to the BB. -- You want to balance the game by controlling the pot.

Half of the zombie's re-buy goes into the prize pool and the other half is rewarded to the player who eliminates him from the game, including other zombies. -- Don't be a killjoy, let the zombies have their fun in devouring other zombies.

Players who survive the Night of the Living Dead have the option of adding on to their chip stack during the first break. 50% of the starting stack for 25% of the buy-in. Example: $20 buy-in, $5 add-on. -- The villagers have built their defenses.

The forced straddle, bet sunsets after the second break. Thereafter, any remaining Zombies reawaken only when the suicide king appears on the flop. (King of Hearts.) The subsequent hand he or they have to straddle or post an ante. -- Again, you want to find a balance. Forcing a zombie to straddle every hand deep into the game is neither fun for him or the other players. (A forced straddle cuts the effective stacks in half.)

I am sure there is room for improvement, but the above are my initial thoughts.

I am not into fantasy poker games, nor zombies for that matter, but I get the general concept.

IMO every player who re-buys should fall under the rules of a zombie. I would reduce the number of starting blinds from your normal tournament and lengthen the first two or three levels, essentially the re-buy period. AKA: "Night of the living dead." Maybe 25, 25, 25 (minutes) or 30, 25, 25, starting at 50/100 with 12,000 chip stacks. -- Manage your stack carefully or you will become a zombie.

First player who re-buys is required to straddle every hand. The same goes for the last surviving zombie. Two or more zombies have to post a mandatory ante equal to the BB. -- You want to balance the game by controlling the pot.

Half of the zombie's re-buy goes into the prize pool and the other half is rewarded to the player who eliminates him from the game, including other zombies. -- Don't be a killjoy, let the zombies have their fun in devouring other zombies.

Players who survive the Night of the Living Dead have the option of adding on to their chip stack during the first break. 50% of the starting stack for 25% of the buy-in. Example: $20 buy-in, $5 add-on. -- The villagers have built their defenses.

The forced straddle, bet sunsets after the second break. Thereafter, any remaining Zombies reawaken only when the suicide king appears on the flop. (King of Hearts.) The subsequent hand he or they have to straddle or post an ante. -- Again, you want to find a balance. Forcing a zombie to straddle every hand deep into the game is neither fun for him or the other players. (A forced straddle cuts the effective stacks in half.)

I am sure there is room for improvement, but the above are my initial thoughts.
For not being a zombie fan you have some sick nasty great brilliant ideas. Can you go deeper into "after the night of the dead part" are you saying once the king of hearts hits no more straddle post?

My apologies for the delayed response to your question. My mouse went on the blink.

The idea behind lengthening the blinds during the re-buy period and reducing the starting stacks is to create an environment where it is more challenging for players to avoid being bitten by losing all of their chips. In other words, becoming a Zombie.

I think you are asking for clarification on how the suicide king comes into play after the second break when the zombies go into hiding, so to speak.

The blinds are going to really start eating into the stacks when players take their seats after the second break. To require any surviving zombies to continue to bloat the pot every hand creates a chaotic environment for everyone still in the game. To restore a sensible balance, Zombies only come out (i.e. have to straddle, or if there is more than one left in the game, post an ante equal to the BB) for one hand after the suicide king is exposed on the flop.

Basically, the remaining players who are Zombies after the break are dormant until a suicide King shows itself on the flop, then they are out again for blood and have to abide by the rules set forth during the earlier part of the game by straddling or posting an ante in the next hand.

This is a very interesting thread. The Zombie idea is creative! I do a pirate night in October. I'm intrigued by the idea of adding something like (a) Zombie Pirate(s) to it, so I'm interested in the ideas. Mine doesn't stray far from a regular poker game, but does have some unique rules. I've come up with a couple of ideas I don't think have been mentioned.
  1. A Zombie can never call, unless he is all-in. He must either fold or raise every time. If he is the BB, and others just call, he has to either raise or fold, even on the river. Other than that, he is a normal player. He re-buys for the regular stack, and otherwise plays normal.
  2. Only one Zombie to a table, and when you table up, Zombies keep playing by those rules. If 2 Zombies get into it, one of them goes out if neither folds.
  3. The Zombie wins any extra chips in the pot if it doesn't split evenly.
  4. Our players get a bonus for dressing as a pirate. More ideas ~
  5. Only those dressed as pirates can become Zombies, or those dressed as pirates who become zombies get their dress-up bonus a second time.
It seems to me there would be both penalty and reward for becoming a Zombie.
Advantages: [1] You get to re-buy in an otherwise freeze-out tournament; [2] Other players would realize no matter what they do, the Zombie has to raise them to stay in, so that makes getting into a hand with a Zombie more dangerous. That means a Zombie can win by either getting the other player to fold, or having the best hand. Others could only win if the Zombie folds or they have the best hand.
Disadvantages: [1] Deterioration either comes from having to fold or raise calling hands. Zombies are forced to take more chances.

Following Mojo's idea of the Suicide King, Zombie rules start applying the first time the Suicide King is on the board, or the As, or either.

Any thoughts on these?

This is a very interesting thread. The Zombie idea is creative! I do a pirate night in October. I'm intrigued by the idea of adding something like (a) Zombie Pirate(s) to it, so I'm interested in the ideas. Mine doesn't stray far from a regular poker game, but does have some unique rules. I've come up with a couple of ideas I don't think have been mentioned.
  1. A Zombie can never call, unless he is all-in. He must either fold or raise every time. If he is the BB, and others just call, he has to either raise or fold, even on the river. Other than that, he is a normal player. He re-buys for the regular stack, and otherwise plays normal.
  2. Only one Zombie to a table, and when you table up, Zombies keep playing by those rules. If 2 Zombies get into it, one of them goes out if neither folds.
  3. The Zombie wins any extra chips in the pot if it doesn't split evenly.
  4. Our players get a bonus for dressing as a pirate. More ideas ~
  5. Only those dressed as pirates can become Zombies, or those dressed as pirates who become zombies get their dress-up bonus a second time.
It seems to me there would be both penalty and reward for becoming a Zombie.
Advantages: [1] You get to re-buy in an otherwise freeze-out tournament; [2] Other players would realize no matter what they do, the Zombie has to raise them to stay in, so that makes getting into a hand with a Zombie more dangerous. That means a Zombie can win by either getting the other player to fold, or having the best hand. Others could only win if the Zombie folds or they have the best hand.
Disadvantages: [1] Deterioration either comes from having to fold or raise calling hands. Zombies are forced to take more chances.

Following Mojo's idea of the Suicide King, Zombie rules start applying the first time the Suicide King is on the board, or the As, or either.

Any thoughts on these?

Ok, but but how do the werewolves and mummies play into all of this?

Good point Mojo! I'll point out that pirates are real and active in several places around the world. On this very site, there is an active Zombie club, so we know Zombies are real too! ;)

I have it on good authority. My niece has never lied to me and she is the one who told me the Zombie apocalypse is coming.

I keep thinking about a lighter variant of this - what the board game folks call a “beer and pretzels game”, played between other games at a convention.

Turbo blind structure, really short. Single table. Low buy-in. Like if you normally have a $50 buy, make it $10. Then a $10 bounty per person. Everyone who gets knocked out gets a free rebuy (starting stack), as a zombie. Zombies can’t cash, but any bounties they collect from humans, they keep even if they themselves get eliminated. Last human standing gets 100% of the prize pool. If all humans get knocked out, the Zombie Apocolypse has happened and all players (even knocked out zombies) re-start with starting stacks, although the blinds don’t go back to the start. The zombie apocolypse pays top 3.

Yes, it’s silly. :)

I just imagine 10k stacks a human turns into a zombie at 500/1k level and owes 2k every single hand would be brutal lol. At least 10BB you can push on a semi decent and double. This is so hard!!! To figure out

Here is one way the game could be structured.

T12000 starting stacks

$20 or $40 buy-in with a $5 or $10 T6000 add-on at break, (20BB's). Unlimited re-buys during the first three levels. 20 minute levels unless stated otherwise.
$20 or $40 re-buys, half of which is a reward placed on the Zombies head. (The other half goes into the prize pool.)

50/100 30 minutes
75/150 25 minutes
100/200 25 minutes
(Break) End of re-buys
Race off T25's -- They are not needed as there will likely be a forced straddle blind bet or posted antes (equal to the BB) in addition to the blinds every hand.
100/300
200/400
300/600
400/800
(Break) Zombies go into hiding, only to reappear for one hand whenever a Suicide King is exposed on the flop.
Race off T100's
500/1000
500/1500
1000/2000
1500/3000
(Short Break)
Race off T500's
2000/4000
3000/6000
4000/8000
(Final Break)
Race off T1000's
5000/10000
5000/15000
10000/20000

T10000 starting stacks with a T5000 add-on will shorten the tournament by approximately 20 minutes.

Thinking this through, I am not in favor of a straddle. I rather prefer a forced blind bet of 2x the BB. Players would then decide whether they want to enter the pot by flatting, folding or raising, starting with the player who is UTG.

So having slept on it here is what I am edging towards for my version of the zombie ressurection (STT, 6—9 players expected):
  • First to bust automatically becomes the zombie
  • Only one zombie (multiple zombies playing against each other and posting forced bets would change the game too much and take too much skill out of hands imo)
  • Zombie gets a free double stack of 20K
  • Zombie posts an ante to the value of the SB in every hand (keeps it simple and easy to remember but also puts pressure on the zombie while still being a threat to humans because of his big stack)
  • If the zombie resurrects any time during the first 6 levels (the rebuy period) his 10K advantage will have "decayed" via the forced ante by L9, L10 at the very latest (based on my current structure and playing 8 hands per 20 min level)
  • Therefore the zombie will start strong but will be much weaker in the latter third of the tournament. It won't be impossible to win but it will be very difficult to survive the later levels unless the zombie capitalises on his strength early on. He will have to adapt his game and the humans will have to survive his threat early on.
  • Killing the zombie has its own bounty or bonus

Last edited:
So having slept on it here is what I am edging towards for my version of the zombie ressurection (STT, 6—9 players expected):
  • First to bust automatically becomes the zombie
  • Only one zombie (multiple zombies playing against each other and posting forced bets would change the game too much and take too much skill out of hands imo)
  • Zombie gets a free double stack of 20K
  • Zombie posts an ante to the value of the SB in every hand (keeps it simple and easy to remember but also puts pressure on the zombie while still being a threat to humans because of his big stack)
  • If the zombie resurrects any time during the first 6 levels (the rebuy period) his 10K advantage will have "decayed" via the forced ante by L9, L10 at the very latest (based on my current structure and playing 8 hands per 20 min level)
  • Therefore the zombie will start strong but will be much weaker in the latter third of the tournament. It won't be impossible to win but it will be very difficult to survive the later levels unless the zombie capitalises on his strength early on. He will have to adapt his game and the humans will have to survive his threat early on.
  • Killing the zombie has its own bounty or bonus
So the Zombie donates roughly 4 extra big blinds per blind level via forced antes. This will significantly alter optimum Zombie play based on stack size to blind size ratio, forcing him to become dangerously aggressive in later levels.

Are you allowing regular re-buys for those who bust after the first player out? If so, can the first player out choose a regular re-buy option vs being forced to be the Zombie (for free)?

I'd have to run the numbers to determine if the Zombie option is an equity favorite over a regular re-buy, but I'm leaning towards it not being the case. Might be a favorite to reach the money, but not to win.

So the Zombie donates roughly 4 extra big blinds per blind level via forced antes. This will significantly alter optimum Zombie play based on stack size to blind size ratio, forcing him to become dangerously aggressive in later levels.

I guess it will, yes. Hungry zombies can be desperate!

Are you allowing regular re-buys for those who bust after the first player out? If so, can the first player out choose a regular re-buy option vs being forced to be the Zombie (for free)?
Yes, rebuys allowed for all other players. No, becoming a zombie is not optional, it is the penalty for being busted out first.

Edit: However, I don't want it to be so much of a penalty that early play is overly tight as everyone tries to avoid becoming the zombie. Tbh I think my group will see "free double stack" and won't necessarily see it as something to avoid at all costs. ;)

I'd have to run the numbers to determine if the Zombie option is an equity favorite over a regular re-buy, but I'm leaning towards it not being the case. Might be a favorite to reach the money, but not to win.
I'd be interested to see the numbers,bearing in mind my intention is to make the zombie ressurection a handicapped second chance.

I read three articles related to Zombies last night to get the creative juices flowing. Here is link to the one that stuck in mind overnight: https://www.livescience.com/57407-zombie-apocalypse-would-take-100-days.html

Here are the revisions to my structure based largely upon that article and some flaws that I believe existed in the original.

Reduce the max number of players at a table to 8.

Include the cost of the add-on with the the buy-in. Give players a blue add-on chip that is cashed in at the end of the re-buy period for having survived the "Night of the Living Dead."

Players who are taken over by the Zombie Apocalypse lose their blue chip and are given a red chip, which needs to remain visible at all times so players can easily identify who the Zombies are at the table. The player who eliminates a Zombie from the game immediately cashes in the red chip for his reward. (Could be in the form of a yellow chip to minimize the number of times the host needs to dip into the prize pool.)

Implement a flatter pay-out structure.

T15000 starting stacks

$25, $30 or $50 buy-in which includes a T8000 add-on at break, (20BB's). Unlimited re-buys during the first four levels. 20 minute levels unless stated otherwise.
$20 or $40 re-buys, half of which is a reward placed on the Zombies head. (The other half goes into the prize pool.) -- Re-buys cost less than the initial buy-in because Zombies receive their add-on when they re-buy into the tournament.

What fun is a Zombie Apocalypse tournament without Zombies you may ask?

Right you are! To get things rolling, 15000 chips are placed in the center of each table, which goes to whoever wins the first hand. That lucky random individual has a better chance of surviving the Zombie Apocalypse!

Presto! The losers in the hand are now Zombies!

Players who move all-in before the flop hold onto their starting stacks. The player who wins the hand receives x number of T5000 chips equivalent to the number of all-ins.

A single Zombie at the table is forced to post a blind bet 2x the size of the BB every hand. Two or more Zombies post an ante equal to the BB.

50/100 25 minutes
75/150 25 minutes
100/200
150/300
(Break, end of re-buys) -- Dawn of the Living Dead -- Zombies are required to post a SB ante instead of a BB ante if there are four or more at the table, otherwise nothing changes.
Race off T25's
200/400
300/600
400/800
(Break) Remove T100's
500/1000
500/1500
1000/2000
1500/3000
(Short Break) -- Day of the Dead -- Zombies go into hiding, only to reappear for one hand whenever a Suicide King is exposed on the flop. This rule can be modified to include both red kings.
Race off T500's
2000/4000
3000/6000
4000/8000
5000/10000
(Final Break)
Race off T1000's
5000/15000
10000/20000
15000/30000
20000/40000
30000/60000

Suicide King is no longer in effect during heads up play.

The game for all intents and purposes plays the same with T7500 starting stacks and a T4000 add-on if the first two levels are set at 25/50 and 25/75.

A MTT will likely run seven to seven and a half hours with breaks, but this is a special annual event, so make an evening of it and have fun!

Last edited:
I read three articles related to Zombies last night to get the creative juices flowing. Here is link to the one that stuck in mind overnight: https://www.livescience.com/57407-zombie-apocalypse-would-take-100-days.html

Here are the revisions to my structure based largely upon that article and some flaws that I believe existed in the original.

Reduce the max number of players at a table to 8.

Include the cost of the add-on with the the buy-in. Give players a blue add-on chip that is cashed in at the end of the re-buy period for having survived the "Night of the Living Dead."

Players who are taken over by the Zombie Apocalypse lose their blue chip and are given a red chip, which needs to remain visible at all times so players can easily identify who the Zombies are at the table. The player who eliminates a Zombie from the game immediately cashes in the red chip for his reward. (Could be in the form of a yellow chip to minimize the number of times the host needs to dip into the prize pool.)

Implement a flatter pay-out structure.

T15000 starting stacks

$25, $30 or $50 buy-in which includes a T8000 add-on at break, (20BB's). Unlimited re-buys during the first four levels. 20 minute levels unless stated otherwise.
$20 or $40 re-buys, half of which is a reward placed on the Zombies head. (The other half goes into the prize pool.) -- Re-buys cost less than the initial buy-in because Zombies receive their add-on when they re-buy into the tournament.

What fun is a Zombie Apocalypse tournament without Zombies you may ask?

Right you are! To get things rolling, 15000 chips are placed in the center of each table, which goes to whoever wins the first hand. That lucky random individual has a better chance of surviving the Zombie Apocalypse!

Presto! The losers in the hand are now Zombies!

Players who move all-in before the flop hold onto their starting stacks. The player who wins the hand receives x number of T5000 chips equivalent to the number of all-ins.

A single Zombie at the table is forced to post a blind bet 2x the size of the BB every hand. Two or more Zombies post an ante equal to the BB.

50/100 25 minutes
75/150 25 minutes
100/200
150/300
(Break, end of re-buys) -- Dawn of the Living Dead -- Zombies are required to post a SB ante instead of a BB ante if there are four or more at the table, otherwise nothing changes.
Race off T25's
200/400
300/600
400/800
(Break) -- Day of the Dead -- Zombies go into hiding, only to reappear for one hand whenever a Suicide King is exposed on the flop. This rule can be modified to include both red kings.
Remove T100's
500/1000
500/1500
1000/2000
1500/3000
(Short Break)
Race off T500's
2000/4000
3000/6000
4000/8000
5000/10000
(Final Break)
Race off T1000's
5000/15000
10000/20000
15000/30000
20000/40000
30000/60000

Suicide King is no longer in effect during heads up play.

The game for all intents and purposes plays the same with T7500 starting stacks and a T4000 add-on if the first two levels are set at 25/50 and 25/75.

A MTT will likely run seven to seven and a half hours with breaks, but this is a special annual event, so make an evening of it and have fun!
Mojo is definitely on to something, what I can't seem to grasp is the suicide king theory. This dormant stage is a huge advantage for the zombie yes? You could easily go 20 hands and never see the suicide king. And basically walk into the heads up match right? Or if you are saying they still post the blinds and can't play until the king comes that is a huge handicap on them not allow them to ever eat human flesh for more chips to survive. Am I alone on this? I love the idea to an extent but think it needs to be closer to maybe any "human" seen on the flop triggers the zombies for the next hand. So any face card J,Q,K wakes the dead.

Point taken @toynoob. I felt that the tournament had to play deeper than what I originally laid out. Therefore, I should have extended the middle "Dawn of the Dead" part of the tournament. I corrected that oversight in my post above.

Including both red kings may be the better option. However, at some point, the playing field should be level for all players. Zombies should have an equal chance of winning the tournament as non-zombies.

Zombies should have an equal chance of winning the tournament as non-zombies.
I agree thats why I think it should be any face card. Also are you saying in dormant stage they still post or not? I say no

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom