Guns you own (14 Viewers)

How do you like it? My pump is gone but I always considered putting a magpul on it.
Feels great, much better than stock. Only dry-fired so far, hopefully, I can take her out this week sometime.

Hi everyone- I've been going to the range with my friend who is a member of a shooting range and shooting my Walther PPQ M2. I'm probably going to get a membership soon as it's close to my house. I've been loving it. My friend let me try his Sig which I didn't love as much as my gun. However, he let me shoot his Diamonblack DB2 rifle and I love it. In Jersey we can't own a true AR-15 according to my friend so he got this DB2 which has a 10 round limit. I love the feel and action of his DB2 and am considering getting this one as my next purchase. I think I am seeking a rifle that fires both 556 and 223mm Ammo(I could be wrong, but I was thinking that you can fire 223 in a gun that is 556, but not the other way around). Have any of you on here had any experience with Diamondblack? Or is there something you could recommend besides DB? Below are some links to the Diamondblack. Thanks.

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/db15-series-2/

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...les/diamondback-db15-semi-auto-rifle/p/p56657

Last edited:
Hi everyone- I've been going to the range with my friend who is a member of a shooting range and shooting my Walther PPQ M2. I'm probably going to get a membership soon as it's close to my house. I've been loving it. My friend let me try his Sig which I didn't love as much as my gun. However, he let me shoot his Diamonblack DB2 rifle and I love it. In Jersey we can't own a true AR-15 according to my friend so he got this DB2 which has a 10 round limit. I love the feel and action of his DB2 and am considering getting this one as my next purchase. I think I am seeking a rifle that fires both 556 and 223mm Ammo(I could be wrong, but I was thinking that you can fire 223 in a gun that is 556, but not the other way around). Have any of you on here had any experience with Diamondblack? Or is there something you could recommend besides DB? Below are some links to the Diamondblack. Thanks.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...les/diamondback-db15-semi-auto-rifle/p/p56657

first piece of advice is move out of a place that doesn’t allow you to own an AR-15... Ha.

also, which Sig did your buddy let you shoot? they all feel different. I’ve shot/owned a lot of Sigs and some I love and some I loathe.

:)

first piece of advice is move out of a place that doesn’t allow you to own an AR-15... Ha.

also, which Sig did your buddy let you shoot? they all feel different. I’ve shot/owned a lot of Sigs and some I love and some I loathe.

:)
I'll have to ask him which Sig he had.

I read a lot on ARs and never heard of this company...not saying they are good or bad..but never heard of them. Most highly regarded and well respected manufacturers make options for states like NJ and CA.

That’s said I’d move to PA where there are not absurd restrictions ;) You can possess everything legal under Federal law.

Ok after doing research and price searching. Here is the newest Gun I got. I bought it online from GunPrime and they will ship it to a local gun range/shop near me. The Gun Shop I am sending it to will modify it so it complies with NJ regulations. GunPrime says they will switch the magazines that come with the gun for 10 round magazines that comply. I'm pretty psyched.

Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II 5.56 NATO Crimson Trace Optic 12936​

1620167463854.png

Ok after doing research and price searching. Here is the newest Gun I got. I bought it online from GunPrime and they will ship it to a local gun range/shop near me. The Gun Shop I am sending it to will modify it so it complies with NJ regulations. GunPrime says they will switch the magazines that come with the gun for 10 round magazines that comply. I'm pretty psyched.

View attachment 692931

Congrats. From what I've heard the M&P AR-15's are some of the better pre-built rifles for the price.

I don't think I've ever seen a gas block like that with integrated pic rails. I'm curious how that holds up vs a more traditional FSB.

View attachment 692931
S&W makes decent ARs. Haven’t seen a gas block like that in a while. That’s is going to make it hard for you to fit after market rails or hand guards so you might want to look at replacing it with a traditional low profile block.
Is a flash hider allowed in NJ?

S&W makes decent ARs. Haven’t seen a gas block like that in a while. That’s is going to make it hard for you to fit after market rails or hand guards so you might want to look at replacing it with a traditional low profile block.
Is a flash hider allowed in NJ?
@Old State thanks for your feedback. Nope flash suppressors are banned in NJ. They had to modify the AR to make it NJ legal. I spoke to 4 dealers in NJ and they have not been able to get the gun in stock for quite a long time so I had to order it online. I'll have to look at the Gas Block.. For the hand guard is the very thing I didn't like on the Gun. I looked toyish and plasticy to me. I was considering getting the Hand Guard below. I wanted to get the one with the extended rail so my rifle has one long continuous rail. Or should I get the one that is not extended? If Old State you or anyone has any recommendations of other rails or comments on the UTG Pro Rail I am looking at below please let me know. Or maybe a 15"5 Hand Guard instead of the 7" Hand Guard?

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/lea...aluminum-black-mtu001ss/FC-4712274525375.html

Here is a picture I got of a M&P Sport II with this Hand Guard on it.
1620702102285.png

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
@Old State thanks for your feedback. Nope flash suppressors are banned in NJ. They had to modify the AR to make it NJ legal. I spoke to 4 dealers in NJ and they have not been able to get the gun in stock for quite a long time so I had to order it online. I'll have to look at the Gas Block.. For the hand guard is the very thing I didn't like on the Gun. I looked toyish and plasticy to me. I was considering getting the Hand Guard below. I wanted to get the one with the extended rail so my rifle has one long continuous rail. Or should I get the one that is not extended? If Old State you or anyone has any recommendations of other rails or comments on the UTG Pro Rail I am looking at below please let me know. Or maybe a 15"5 Hand Guard instead of the 7" Hand Guard?

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/lea...aluminum-black-mtu001ss/FC-4712274525375.html

Here is a picture I got of a M&P Sport II with this Hand Guard on it.
View attachment 697100
Thanks,
Mike
It’s hard to tell from the pic but the gas block may be pinned and it’s doubtful another pinned gas block would fit that hole. That said you can get any decent one cheap from BCM, Geissele, or tons of places... but one with set screws. A somewhat competent gun smith should be able to install it and dimple the barrel under it for the one screw to grab on to. Tons of videos on YouTube that illustrate this better than I can explain.
If you do that you can run up to a 15” rail. Personally I’d go with a free float and I would avoid UTG. There are plenty of reasonably priced high quality rails made in the US that can be found. Mid West Industries is a good value per dollar. If you don’t want a free float rail just get a Magpul polymer rail that mounts with the standard barrel nut.

It’s hard to tell from the pic but the gas block may be pinned and it’s doubtful another pinned gas block would fit that hole. That said you can get any decent one cheap from BCM, Geissele, or tons of places... but one with set screws. A somewhat competent gun smith should be able to install it and dimple the barrel under it for the one screw to grab on to. Tons of videos on YouTube that illustrate this better than I can explain.
If you do that you can run up to a 15” rail. Personally I’d go with a free float and I would avoid UTG. There are plenty of reasonably priced high quality rails made in the US that can be found. Mid West Industries is a good value per dollar. If you don’t want a free float rail just get a Magpul polymer rail that mounts with the standard barrel nut.
Thanks @Old State at I was looking at a Magpul one right now that someone on the S&W Forum suggested.

Thanks @Old State at I was looking at a Magpul one right now that someone on the S&W Forum suggested.
Check out M4carbine.net. It the best forum on the AR platform as well as defensive use weapons on the web. Lots of SMEs frequent the board. Also check out School of the American Rifle videos on YouTube

Thanks @Old State for your advice and comments. I got a Carbine length Magpul Handguard and a Fab Defense forward grip for my S&W M&P Sport II and installed them tonight with a friend whom I go the range with. The before and after pictures are below. I shot it for the first time tonight and loved it. We dialed in the scope first and then everything worked out great. The stock handguard looked cheap and toyish to me so I knew I wanted to change it out.

Before
FFC51892-1C0B-476F-91AD-15A795C82CE7.jpeg

After
F4183EEB-8E40-4636-9629-E92EEAA5AC42.jpeg

Thanks @Old State for your advice and comments. I got a Carbine length Magpul Handguard and a Fab Defense forward grip for my S&W M&P Sport II and installed them tonight with a friend whom I go the range with. The before and after pictures are below. I shot it for the first time tonight and loved it. We dialed in the scope first and then everything worked out great. The stock handguard looked cheap and toyish to me so I knew I wanted to change it out.

Before
View attachment 703810

After
View attachment 703811
You’re in NJ, right? This is legal in NJ?

Yes I am in NJ. I had to have the place I bought the gun from GUNPRIME ship it to my FFL Dealer in NJ and the gunsmith at the dealer had to modify the Gun to make it NJ compliant.

Yes I am in NJ. I had to have the place I bought the gun from GUNPRIME ship it to my FFL Dealer in NJ and the gunsmith at the dealer had to modify the Gun to make it NJ compliant.
AH, that explains the flash hider and little mags. Now it isn't scary.... right?

Silly rules they make. At least you can still have fun with it!

Before
View attachment 703810

After
View attachment 703811
Glad it worked out and glad you were able to make the NJ cosmetic modifications that leave the rifle ballistically the same ;)
Well hopefully ammo prices will be coming down this year and that’s where I’d put my money if I were you since you are new to ARs

Glad it worked out and glad you were able to make the NJ cosmetic modifications that leave the rifle ballistically the same ;)
Well hopefully ammo prices will be coming down this year and that’s where I’d put my money if I were you since you are new to ARs
Yes have been using Ammoseek.com and also going to my Local firearms shop and getting the 223 or 5.56 Ammo when they have good prices. Tuesdays and Thursdays shortly after 2/2:30 is when they get their ammo delivery so the best shot is to go at those times.

Not to further digress but...As a Constitutional history buff it’s actually pretty interesting to see the original drafts of the first ten amendments....especially the Second. Some proposals were over a paragraph long. In an attempt at brevity they ironically gave contemporary critics an opportunity to reinterpret. Luckily we have copious primary sources to go back too...if one is so inclined

tempImageZNpj58.jpg

308 upper came in. Now need optics and BU sights...it looks like an AR 15 with glandular issues. Weighs up a tad as well.

You'd think I'd notice paint issues in my master bath... oh well, a task for another weekend.

Nice rifle @Nuhockey ! As a few others have said those are great rifles for the money, and while building your own is a LOT of fun I like factory built rifles from reputable companies as well. Got to have both.

The Ruger AR5.56, S&W M&Ps, and the Springfield Saints are very good rifles for the money in the 600-900 range. Solid choice with the Smith. Congrats!

It's weird to see a small part of your gun collection that is worth thousands... and reallize you only possess a few hundred dollars worth of poker chips... My largest chip collection of 1000 classic Mardi Gras clay chips is in the possession of a poker degenerate... and has been for about ten years... and we've only texted a few times in that period. Tim(Guinness) where'd you go!

Nice rifle @Nuhockey ! As a few others have said those are great rifles for the money, and while building your own is a LOT of fun I like factory built rifles from reputable companies as well. Got to have both.

The Ruger AR5.56, S&W M&Ps, and the Springfield Saints are very good rifles for the money in the 600-900 range. Solid choice with the Smith. Congrats!
@12thMan Thanks! With all the regulations in New Jersey and being a novice I thought it would be a pain to put a rifle together from parts for my first one. The S&W M&P I got it for a good price especially with the Crimson Optics, but then you add the cost of making it NJ compliant and the transfer fee to my FFL dealer + background check it made it close to 1000. But well worth it for me as I enjoy shooting it.

@12thMan Thanks! With all the regulations in New Jersey and being a novice I thought it would be a pain to put a rifle together from parts for my first one. The S&W M&P I got it for a good price especially with the Crimson Optics, but then you add the cost of making it NJ compliant and the transfer fee to my FFL dealer + background check it made it close to 1000. But well worth it for me as I enjoy shooting it.
Building a rifle is fun and allows you to get very specific features. That said there is more to it than many think and most lack the the proper tools and the will to learn the proper assembly procedures. Also, with a thousand AR parts manufacturers the quality and tolerances can be all over the place. The problem guns you see are often a hodge podge of parts from numerous origin. I personally believe it’s best to stick to a few a number of high quality parts manufacturers as possible. If you have neither the interest, time, money, or energy to do it 100% properly, it’s best to buy a factory build rifle from a known manufacturer IMO.

Building a rifle is fun and allows you to get very specific features. That said there is more to it than many think and most lack the the proper tools and the will to learn the proper assembly procedures. Also, with a thousand AR parts manufacturers the quality and tolerances can be all over the place. The problem guns you see are often a hodge podge of parts from numerous origin. I personally believe it’s best to stick to a few a number of high quality parts manufacturers as possible. If you have neither the interest, time, money, or energy to do it 100% properly, it’s best to buy a factory build rifle from a known manufacturer IMO.

I always promote home-building over store bought. You can save a ton of quiche, pick the exact parts you want, and have the joy of putting it together yourself.

Although admittedly I've stuck to completed uppers lately, just because I hate dealing with barrel nuts. And Aero has so many damn configurations now, that it's pretty easy to find the exact setup you want.

If you find an upper you love, then all that's really left is cherry picking your lower, LPK, grip, FCG, BCG, foregrip (if desired), charging handle, sights/red dot, buffer, buffer tube, end plate, and stock. Even the most unskilled noob builder can put together the primary parts of a lower in about an hour. Maybe bump it up to 90 minutes if you really take your time.

As for tools all you really need is an AR-15 armorers wrench (mostly for the castle nut), a set of quality punches, a ball-peen hammer or jewelers mallet, some masking tape (so you don't mar your build), and you're good to go. A set of hex wrenches and some loctite might come in handy as well.

This video is a must-have bookmark for any home-builder. It slowly walks you through each and every step, and has saved my hide a few times when I've forgotten something. I'll be honest, I probably spend more time on that stupid pivot pin retainer and spring than any other part of the build, because I'm stubborn and refuse to buy "the specific tool"...

EDIT: And if you buy a completed upper, your work is done at the 24:00 mark in the video.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom