Greece's Independence Bi-Centennial (1 Viewer)

Coyote

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Tomorrow, on the 25th of March, the modern Greek state becomes 200 years old. In its own view of course (it was eventually recognised as such by the World's Christian Powers in 1830 and by its very own Muslim tyrants in 1832).

The new-born nation aspired to a democratic and liberal republican Constitution, but was given instead Otto Von Wittelschpach of Bavaria, as King of Greeks (the other candidate, Leopold, was clever and fast enough to choose the equally new-born Belgium as a job).

A bunch of mountain rebels, eventually aided by Great Britain, Russia and France (in a decisive but not a disinterested way, of course), established a sovereign Greek state after roughly 4 centuries of political inexistence and slavery to the Ottoman Turks.
The 22nd stanza of the Greek National Anthem (the Hymn to Liberty) lovingly refers to "Washington's Land" as an example and source of inspiration.
The first official recognition of modern Greek sovereignty touchingly came from the Western Hemisphere's second independent nation, Haiti.

Feel free to write or attach something nice about this temperamental, idiosyncratic and often divided nation, which, in its 3,500 years of history, came up with most of whatever is worth to ever say to anyone, and whose survival after all those 35 centuries is clearly a miracle or a scandal, or both.:)

Acropolis-Athens34.jpg

Pesta-Tzoumerka.jpg

mnimeio_agnostou_03.jpg

Last edited:
Love Caesars Palace, it's one of my favorite places on the Strip.

Huh?

Congratulations to the only other our fellow country in the world with a blue and white flag. ;) EDIT: I was way off here!

Last edited:
Love Caesars Palace, it's one of my favorite places on the Strip.

Huh?

Congratulations to the only other country in the world with a blue and white flag. ;)
Greece-3.jpg

We actually liked and used both versions till you also became independent, and we had to choose.
I would have liked us to keep the version that ultimately became yours. :)

I've been to Athens as a kid, we rented a car and drove around to small villages but I have no idea which. I've been to Patras twice competing for Sweden in a sport which has lately been completley destroyed, and i visited Crete 2015 with my wife and we liked it so much that we returned the year after! As soon as the kids are old enough to enjoy it we will return to Crete!

Congrats on the anniversary!

I prefer the double headed eagle greek flag imo.
Where do you think the black and yellow on current German and Belgian flags come from?
Their medieval ancestors wanted to be Roman, copying our medieval Eastern Roman flag
Δικέφαλος αετός.jpg

By the way (a plea to everybody), please try to respect the OP and his nation in a moment of celebration, and abstain from hooligan sub-culture.
There is a multitude of possibilities for bitterness in the Politics section.

Fond memories of seeing Apocalypse Now in an Athens movie theater with Greek subtitles. I loved the intermission, when everybody went to the lobby Ouzo bar!

Best thing about Greece (besides the awesome beaches, beautiful islands, stunning villages, amazing cultural sites, wonderful food, etc.) was the Ouzo. Ten drinks in and my mind thought I was okay to get up and walk home, but it took two hours for that message to get to my legs.

Worst thing about Greece was the Retzina. Pine-Sol marketed as wine. Blech!

My wife and I were fortunate enough to spend about 6 weeks throughout Greece with the majority of our time on the island Rhodes. My only negative about Greece is the drivers in Athens drive with 2 hands. One on the steering wheel and the other on the horn. Other than that I love the people, the culture, the history, the climate and the food.
Congrats on 200 years. Sorry it was such a struggle.

Never been to Greece but would love to one day. So much beauty and history for sure. Having run several Marathons I'm grateful for that little tradition you started, around the same time you saved western civilization. Also, Molan Labe!

I think my fondest memories of Greece that relate to a celebratory occasion are sports related. I was in Mytilene, Lesvos in 1987 when the Greeks won the European Basketball Championship in a huge comeback win over the Soviet Union. I lived in heavily Greek (and Portuguese) neighbourhood Montreal Mile End during the 2004 European Football Championship when Greece beat heavily favoured Portugal 1-0.

So for me, it's congratulations on a Republic for 200 years, but this is a celebration of a Society that is still kicking after >3K years. Well done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom