Greece's Independence Bi-Centennial (1 Viewer)

Big fan of the Hoplite Phalanx!

hoplite.jpg

Growing up in New York City I was exposed to all sorts of cultures, and I gotta say I've had the most fun with the Greeks. Greek Easter in Astoria is unparalleled and I won't sit at a diner if it isn't Greek-run.

You Greeks are meshugah but also good people; I've also never met a Greek who didn't like to gamble. A-ok in my book. And as a Hungarian, I'll proudly join you in saying "fvck the Ottomans and the donkeys they rode in on." Happy Greek Independence Day my friend!

USAF, RAF and Armee de l' Air jet fighters and helicopters flying over Athens today, together with HAF ones.
British, French and Russian naval vessels anchored off the coast (while the USS CVN69 Eisenhower has anchored in Souda Bay, Crete).
The Prince of Wales, the Russian Prime Minister and the French Defense Minister (instead of the French President, due to the Covid situation in France) attended today's military parade (no spectators because of the Covid situation in Greece) and yesterday's state dinner at the Presidential Palace.

Athens flyover.jpg
Zeus F16II.jpg
prigkipas-karolos-proedriko-megaro.jpeg

A united fleet of Great Britain, France and Russia crushed the Ottoman fleet off Navarino in 1827, so the descendants of the rebellious irregular mountain outlaws display some gratitude. :)

Archetypal Greek attitude of saying "f*ck you" to people, against all odds. :)

Big fan of the Hoplite Phalanx!

View attachment 662732
Womb of Democracy too. When mounted knights were not enough, the multitude of hoplites making up the Phalanx wall had to be asked if they wanted to go to war. They demanded voting rights.
"Part-time soldier for life + tax-payer = fellow Governor" is Democracy's equation.

A united fleet of Great Britain, France and Russia crushed the Ottoman fleet off Navarino in 1827, so the descendants of the rebellious irregular mountain outlaws display some gratitude.

What about Napoleon 3 and the British who helped the Turks to keep Constantinople between 1853 and 1856?

Birthplace of Democracy, and the cradle of Western civilization!! The world owes a lot to the Greeks!! Plus you know your military might is legendary when centuries later many universities and other schools use city/states as their mascots (Spartans, Trojans, etc).
Enjoy celebrating your independence!!
I really hope to someday visit your beautiful country!!

An Outlaw's Life

"Obscure and bitter is the life we lead, we poor Outlaws.
All day in combat, all night on sentry.
And as dawn comes, our hand has been our pillow, our sword our mattress
and our rifle in our hug, instead of a girl.
In fear we have a mouthful of bread, in fear we walk at night.
We never have clean clothes to change, we can never sing aloud.
For twelve long years I 've been a Captain with the Outlaws;
I never had a hot meal; I never laid on a mattress.
But, still, I made Turkish widows and Turkish orphans."

The Dance of Zalongo, performed by the US Army Europe & Africa Band & Chorus.
Excellent performance and remarkably no accent at all from the great singer!
Profound thanks to the USA!:hearts::hearts::hearts:

In 1813, after the suppression of the last revolution of Souli, Epirus, and the destruction of their homes in Souli, a group of Souliot women and children found themselves encircled by Ottoman troops on the top of Mount Zalongo, their men already dead in combat. To avoid rape and chattel slavery, they threw their children off the cliff and then went down themselves. Legend has it that they did so one by one, dancing:

"Fish won't live ashore, flowers won't spring on sandy beaches,
and women of Souli won't live without honour and freedom.
Farewell poor world, farewell sweet life,
and you, unfortunate motherland, fare well forever"

Zalongo,Greece.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom