Gasser chair makeover? (1 Viewer)

Chrisja77

High Hand
Reaction score
I found what I thought was 16 gasser chairs for a ridiculously low price but they turned out to be Infanti chairs. From my understanding they were such a close knockoff that gasser sued and put them out of business. I’m assuming that means construction is close enough that if anyone has refurbished gassers it would work here also.

Anyways, they are nasty as they have been stored in a shed for a long time. I’m on my way to look at them now but the owner says they are in like new shape other than the dirt and grime that’s caked on and will clean up perfect. My issue is I don’t like the color. They are red, maroon, and orange. Is it possible to recover or dye the backs black? Has anyone refurbed wore out gassers?

Attachments

• E995E7ED-DDE8-4A9A-AD19-7DC92C726126.png
    E995E7ED-DDE8-4A9A-AD19-7DC92C726126.png
    355 KB · Views: 117
  • F7DE829A-FB49-4F7D-BE8C-CD3F42C2F042.png
    F7DE829A-FB49-4F7D-BE8C-CD3F42C2F042.png
    436.2 KB · Views: 117
  • E88E8B3D-D022-42D8-92C0-F063DB7AFD7D.jpeg
    E88E8B3D-D022-42D8-92C0-F063DB7AFD7D.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 110
the owner says they are in like new shape other than the dirt and grime that’s caked on and will clean up perfect. My issue is I don’t like the color. They are red, maroon, and orange. Is it possible to recover or dye the backs black? Has anyone refurbed wore out gassers?
I'm sorry but I have to laugh at the "like new" tag being put on these chairs by the owner that look like they were stored in a bog.

You are already on your way to look at them so I hope he is correct about the dirt coming off so easy. I have to question if a dying process even if it does exist is worth it for chairs that are often found at or below $15/piece. Maybe just use them as is for now and resell if you find better colored chairs down the line?

I have to question if a dying process even if it does exist is worth it for chairs that are often found at or below $15/piece. Maybe just use them as is for now and resell if you find better colored chairs down the line?
This is an excellent point. I got lucky and found mine for $5 each. I used some goo gone to remove adhesive and these have been good to go since. They are perfectly functional and have yet to be commented upon by players, which I would view as a big win for a chair that you might sit in for 4-6+ hours straight - no news is probably the best news.

Maybe I should just be happy with my ugly but comfortable and quality poker chairs.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Completely recovering them (ie removing/replacing the old vinyl) is a pretty challenging task, given the construction method they use to make them. The seat bottoms are a little easier (though you'd need to sew new covers), but the backs are really difficult because the rubber edging and detailing. You have to practically destroy them to get the old vinyl off. I had a set of older dirty gassers and had purchased some capitano vinyl to re-upholster them several years ago. After trying to pull one apart and spending weeks thinking about how I would re-upholster one successfully, I gave up.

Easiest way to salvage these would be to make/buy fabric slip covers.

Completely recovering them (ie removing/replacing the old vinyl) is a pretty challenging task, given the construction method they use to make them. The seat bottoms are a little easier (though you'd need to sew new covers), but the backs are really difficult because the rubber edging and detailing. You have to practically destroy them to get the old vinyl off. I had a set of older dirty gassers and had purchased some capitano vinyl to re-upholster them several years ago. After trying to pull one apart and spending weeks thinking about how I would re-upholster one successfully, I gave up.

Easiest way to salvage these would be to make/buy fabric slip covers.
Not what I was hoping to hear but what I was expecting. I’m hoping the orange cleans up and I like it afterwards. If not I’ll probably try and flip them.

They weren’t AS nice as described but I believe they will mostly clean up very nice. And bonus, the orange really isn’t a bad shade and is more of a brown color. Now to get them home and see what happens with a little elbow grease. Ended up getting all 16 for $25 so I figured it was worth the gamble.

Attachments

• 82916A7B-C098-4EF4-8FA2-82A078A678A3.jpeg
    82916A7B-C098-4EF4-8FA2-82A078A678A3.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
There used to be a spray dye a friend of mine used to sell used cars with replacement seats that did not match. Check with an automotive paint store or perhaps a hardware store. Pick the worst chair so if you don’t like the result it really won’t matter. Good luck.

There used to be a spray dye a friend of mine used to sell used cars with replacement seats that did not match. Check with an automotive paint store or perhaps a hardware store. Pick the worst chair so if you don’t like the result it really won’t matter. Good luck.
Yeah I was just going to say this. I’m pretty sure they have spray paints for fabric?

They weren’t AS nice as described but I believe they will mostly clean up very nice. And bonus, the orange really isn’t a bad shade and is more of a brown color. Now to get them home and see what happens with a little elbow grease. Ended up getting all 16 for $25 so I figured it was worth the gamble.
100% worth the risk for that price, good luck to you. Hoping they sparkle after some work.

Anyways, they are nasty as they have been stored in a shed for a long time. I’m on my way to look at them now but the owner says they are in like new shape other than the dirt and grime that’s caked on and will clean up perfect.
I seem to recall a thread here showing before and after pics of an old, dirty, poker table felt that had been cleaned (with some sort of fabric cleaning machine) with amazing results. These chairs look like they may need 2 or 3 passes of that machine. But who knows, maybe they'll clean up just as nice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom