Fold Aces in PLO8? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
This just happened to me, an I'm pretty sure it was the right move, crazy as it sounds.
Playing a free online tournament - just passed the bubble, so there were payout ladder considerations. Full table - I had less than ten big blinds, and in early position, I look at AA67 rainbow. I folded.
Crazy?

I heartily agree.

Hero isn't likely to win the low half of the pot.

Hero has basically a two card hand for high - AA. It is a "favorite" over most hand, but not by much. No flush draw, minimal straight draw. Let's save Hero's chips for a better place.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a terrible hand. It just isn't a good hand. It plays especially poorly multiway.

DrStrange

I probably should not post advice this good on the internet, but two good cards are never good enough in Omaha.

This hand is okay for a steal in later position. If double suited and having a deeper stack I night limp in early to flush hunt. But in your situation, it's an easy fold.

This hand is good enough to finish second or third place in both hi and low. Despite your short stack, we can do better.

Not necessarily an easy fold, but you need to be able to make folds like this to do well at PLO8. A pair of aces may be pretty, but it's the only good thing about this hand. Not worth playing from early position, especially not in a tournament.

how many hands before you have to pay the blinds?
It was probably 5 away.
But I had between 9 and 10 big blinds, wasn’t the short stack, and was already in the “money,” so I had no concern about another orbit.

I'd shove, but you're probably a way better player than I am.

It’s hard to decide without knowing the players’ stacks and styles, but if you change the 7 to anything 4 or lower than I don’t mind a shove. Suited just makes it easier. Suited 2 or 3 is an easy push.

So what is the minimum hand that you would play here? Replace the six with a suited 2 or 3?
Im sure it wouldn’t have to be THAT good to play it. I’d be tempted to play it as is, if just one of the aces were suited. Just give m some chance to improve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom