Flattening Warped Chips

One Eyed Dollar

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do I order? Also want to pick up one of those cool stack-straightening tools.
I can add it to the store soon. The model is ready to go, and I just wanted to get some feedback on potential changes to the design before I shared it and added it to the store. Looks like people like it as designed, so this one is a go. Thanks for the interest!

asian bino

Two Pair
Reaction score
What are some other options for flattening hotstamped chips if your oven temperature won't go that low? I have some hotstamped quarters that have a fair amount of spinners.

Potential heating devices: hair dryer, infrared space heater, old toaster oven that supposedly heats as low as 150F.

Apparently, some ovens have a special mode where you can set the oven LOWER than the 'minimum' temperature
that the buttons seem to allow you to.
This was discovered by (brace yourself) my brother's CAT. The cat jumped up onto the stove's control panel (bad kitty!)
and apparently hit the series of buttons that set the oven to 120 degrees, even though you seemingly could not SET the oven to that temperature. My brother got out his manual and, sure enough, by hitting some funky combo of buttons simultaneously, 120 was possible. Thanks Kitty!

ReallyGoodUsername

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm an idiot and forgot to mention I discovered my over had a "pre heat" button so 170 was no problem. I'm sure mines not the only one.

BSteck

Flush
Reaction score
I started my first flattening project today.

6F60AEF7-DD56-4208-BF8B-50F3BEC410F6.jpeg
Sure wish I had one of those new-fangled 3d flattening trays because getting the barrels lined up and clamped was probably the most challenging part of the process.

Just a quick pre-heat of the oven then turned it off was all it took. Left the oven light on and then opened the door sporadically to maintain 125-130. Easy peesy. Started conservative for my first run cooking them for 20 minutes and then cooling them for 60 minutes. No extra tightening after baking.
D8BA6040-8CB8-4E28-94B6-25AF24E8CE4D.jpeg

Here are the results. Before: almost a full chip worth of warping (I did this first test with my worst barrel).
DC7AAFAB-9CB8-4423-863A-E3FB881A8F55.jpeg

After: I’m very happy with the improvement. You can still see some problem chips in the barrel - but WAY better than they were. Nearly level with my control blurple barrel. I’m going to run them through again at the same time and temp to see if that will completely fix em. Wahoo! It works!
99503DB4-0DAE-4DBC-BAAE-6C0623E237BE.jpeg

Last edited:

BirdCage

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
As an alternative to the oven & clamp method, I present the hot water & vise method. While I do have an oven, I don't have a wooden hand-screw clamp - but I do have a bench vise.

After giving this a bit of thought, I figured that the heat source shouldn't matter as much as just raising the temperature of the chips. The hot water measured just under 150 degrees Fahrenheit from the tap. Here's what I tried:

Requirements: hot water, vise, two small pieces of flat wood, blank/white ceramic chips (optional)
Step 1: Fill small container with hot water from tap
Step 2: Place up to 10 chips in the container
Step 3: Wait 5 minutes
Step 4: Dry chips
Step 5: Stack chips with one ceramic chip on each end
Step 6: Place stack between two small pieces of flat boards (i.e., 3" x 4" x 1/2" sections)
Step 7: Align as perfectly as possible in a bench vise and tighten with nearly all your might
Step 8: Wait 12 hours (less or more is OK, too)

It worked - no spinning, no warps.

Not using any ceramic chips on the ends would also work, but I believe that placing a ceramic chip between each chip would be ideal. (I only had two white ceramic chips on hand and didn't want any color transfer). I just positioned chips so that they were warp to warp to encourage flattening.

Any slight warps/spinning can be fixed with a second go. Chips have remained flat after several days. Seems to work.

tabletalker7

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
As an alternative to the oven & clamp method, I present the hot water & vise method. While I do have an oven, I don't have a wooden hand-screw clamp - but I do have a bench vise.

After giving this a bit of thought, I figured that the heat source shouldn't matter as much as just raising the temperature of the chips. The hot water measured just under 150 degrees Fahrenheit from the tap. Here's what I tried:

Requirements: hot water, vise, two small pieces of flat wood, blank/white ceramic chips (optional)
Step 1: Fill small container with hot water from tap
Step 2: Place up to 10 chips in the container
Step 3: Wait 5 minutes
Step 4: Dry chips
Step 5: Stack chips with one ceramic chip on each end
Step 6: Place stack between two small pieces of flat boards (i.e., 3" x 4" x 1/2" sections)
Step 7: Align as perfectly as possible in a bench vise and tighten with nearly all your might
Step 8: Wait 12 hours (less or more is OK, too)

It worked - no spinning, no warps.

Not using any ceramic chips on the ends would also work, but I believe that placing a ceramic chip between each chip would be ideal. (I only had two white ceramic chips on hand and didn't want any color transfer). I just positioned chips so that they were warp to warp to encourage flattening.

Any slight warps/spinning can be fixed with a second go. Chips have remained flat after several days. Seems to work.
If hot water for a little while and a clamp overnight is all people need, does someone with an ultrasonic want to try? Might be able to clean and flatten in one step

raynmanas

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently flattened some starbursts. I decided I could risk losing a barrel, so I only put ceramics on each end, not in between chips, and I used the clamps I already owned:

1592232053590.png

I turned the oven as low as it would go (170), stuck a remote thermometer in there, and shut it off when it hit 120. Once it was settled, I put the chips in for 25 minutes, opening and closing the door as necessary to maintain 120-130, then straight to the freezer for another 20. It worked pretty well, but a couple were still a little warped. I decided to go for round 2, and did 3 barrels this time. I set the oven the same way, but this time I got distracted and forgot to monitor it. By the time I remembered to check on them (about 20 minutes), the temp had creeped up to 168! Since there was no turning back, I threw them in the freezer for 20 minutes and then checked. Other than a couple being very mildy stuck together, once I separated them they were all perfectly flat and there is no visible damage - all cross-hatching is still intact. Phew!

horseshoez

Flush
Reaction score
Until I purchase that cool 3rd printed clamp rack, what method do you guys use to get the barrel of chips and ceramics aligned perfectly in the clamp itself?

raynmanas

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until I purchase that cool 3rd printed clamp rack, what method do you guys use to get the barrel of chips and ceramics aligned perfectly in the clamp itself?
mostly patience and diligence. i get them somewhat tight, then use a ceramic chip horizontally to firmly push down sections and pop the outliers into place. with my clamp i can do this from multiple angles so it isn't too bad to get them all lined up perfect.

Last edited:

RainmanTrail

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything parallel. Even two pencils would work.

BearMetal

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, could you use ABC dye sub ceramics (like Nevada Jack's), but just put a piece of parchment paper in between them to prevent color transfer?

BearMetal

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whelp, it worked!!! Here's the list of things you need for ghetto chip flattening:
  • Warped chips (I used some Joker's Wild 25c hot stamps)
  • Irwin Quick Grip
  • Nevada Jack Skulls (or other existing ceramic set that is able to break blenders)
  • The hot-as-fuck NJ sun (others suns might work as well, even that evil sun from Mario 2)
  • Parchment paper
I lined em up, compressed, and put them outside for about an hour. They are like 99% cured of their warped affliction.

Top Bottom