Flattening Warped Chips (9 Viewers)

Those 'ridges' will cause the chips to be more slick during play, since that's the only place there is direct clay contact between chips. :(

Heating pad
Thermometer
Clamps shown
Proper spacers as discussed

I use the heating pad method. Works great.
9E0573E0-50C8-4C4A-9336-4F1457EE8B51.jpeg

E820C1AF-DFD9-4ABF-8B80-6B520FEC6341.jpeg

After doing some testing, I realized that the pressure needed to flatten is FAR less than I expected. I did a few with the heating pad and trigger clamps, apllying only enough pressure to keep them just snug in the clamp. I was skeptical that this was not enough pressure, but they emerged just as flat.
I mean, flat is flat, right? ,,,there is no such thing as "more flat".

700.jpg

After doing some testing, I realized that the pressure needed to flatten is FAR less than I expected. I did a few with the heating pad and trigger clamps, apllying only enough pressure to keep them just snug in the clamp. I was skeptical that this was not enough pressure, but they emerged just as flat.
I mean, flat is flat, right? ,,,there is no such thing as "more flat".

View attachment 625726

There is such as thing as "more black".

Here’s the way I’ve been flattening used HSI chips with great success. A generic heating pad on high ( pad says it is 142-168 degrees Fahrenheit.View attachment 604363
Lay 10 chips at a time in a single layer on 1/2 of the pad.
View attachment 604366
Fold over the pad, avoiding a sharp crease in the pad.
View attachment 604367Heat for 10 minutes, sometimes holding the top of the pad down for good contact.

View attachment 604375Remove the chips and then using ceramic blanks, carefully align them and clamp in a hand clamp (very snugly but not SUPER tight). I used colored DDLM ceramics with no color transfer on either the ceramic or the HSI chips. Blank ceramics would be preferable if available to remove all possibility.

Let cool 1-2 hours. Flat chips!
What size clamp do you need? How many lbs pressure?

What size clamp do you need? How many lbs pressure?
The ones I use are small hand clamps, but large enough to hold about 20 chips.
The amount of pressure is VERY little. Too much pressure is a big problem, so I clamp just enough to hold the chips together, then add a tiny bit more.

Here’s the way I’ve been flattening used HSI chips with great success. A generic heating pad on high ( pad says it is 142-168 degrees Fahrenheit.View attachment 604363
Lay 10 chips at a time in a single layer on 1/2 of the pad.
View attachment 604366
Fold over the pad, avoiding a sharp crease in the pad.
View attachment 604367Heat for 10 minutes, sometimes holding the top of the pad down for good contact.

View attachment 604375Remove the chips and then using ceramic blanks, carefully align them and clamp in a hand clamp (very snugly but not SUPER tight). I used colored DDLM ceramics with no color transfer on either the ceramic or the HSI chips. Blank ceramics would be preferable if available to remove all possibility.

Let cool 1-2 hours. Flat chips!
I’m looking at a heating pad that goes up to 150 degrees on high. Is that hot enough?

When getting the 3D3P ribbed holders why are people only doing 10 at a time? Is there any benefit to the 21 chip stack as opposed to a 41 chip stack? I broke down and bought the 43mm blanks, but trying to get those to clamp without some sort of help was more work that I was willing to put into it. I am thinking a 41 chip stack will allow you to do a barrel at a time, making the whole process faster.

maybe its due to how many blank ceramics they have or just need to straighten 10 of em. if your gonna pay for the shipping might as well get all the versions from 3d3p

I’m looking at a heating pad that goes up to 150 degrees on high. Is that hot enough?
I use the 160 degree setting on my heating pads (highest setting) and the chips get to about 125-135 degrees, which is perfect.

First barrel in the books and worked great. Let heating pad preheat 15 min to 150. 20 chips in the pad for 10 minutes. Used 43mm blank ceramics from brpro poker. 2 new dewalt trigger clamps. 50 minutes in clamp before I tightened it just a little bit and then another 40 minutes, so 90 minute cooling period total and chips turned out great. Onto the second barrel!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom