Favorite Sample Set (1 Viewer)

EvilAndroid

High Hand
Reaction score
As a newbie to this hobby, I'm looking to begin collecting some various sample sets to see what type of chips I like. I'm quickly realizing that there are so many different sites and different sample options out there that I don't know where to start and I don't want to "forget" any along the way.

I know that there are some sample sets that others have passed around via PCF as a way to test chips out before sending to the next person. However, I would much rather have my own chips to shuffle, stack, and ultimately collect over time.

So, I figured I'd ask for people's very favorite (reasonably affordable) sample set that they've owned or would recommend that a new collector try out. I currently have no chips in my collection and hardly any points of reference, so any suggestions are welcome!

I like

- Bank chips (china clay) from Apache
- Empire chips (cards mold ceramic) from Apache
- Tiki Kings (ceramic) from BR Pro Poker. Grab at least 10 chips to get a shuffle stack, so switch to a bigger set or add one

Buying these three types would give you a feel for the most popular chip types under $1/chip.

I'm pretty sure Apache has a super sample set with basically 1 of everything they sell, which captures a ton of variety. I did not purchase, but looks reasonable.
I also absolutely love their TRK reproduction sample of the El Ranchos.

I'm a newbie as well, and when I bought my samples, I also bought a barrel. I'd highly recommend. Really helps you understand how they feel, shuffle, sound, etc.

have fun!

I like

- Bank chips (china clay) from Apache
- Empire chips (cards mold ceramic) from Apache
- Tiki Kings (ceramic) from BR Pro Poker. Grab at least 10 chips to get a shuffle stack, so switch to a bigger set or add one

Buying these three types would give you a feel for the most popular chip types under $1/chip.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this is probably the route I need to take for a well-rounded start of the most common chips. I think I might also look for some cheap Paulsons as well for comparison.

I'm pretty sure Apache has a super sample set with basically 1 of everything they sell, which captures a ton of variety. I did not purchase, but looks reasonable.
I also absolutely love their TRK reproduction sample of the El Ranchos.

I'm a newbie as well, and when I bought my samples, I also bought a barrel. I'd highly recommend. Really helps you understand how they feel, shuffle, sound, etc.

have fun!

I saw the super sample set when checking out the site, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good representation of how they feel with only 1 or two of each chip type. Did you get your samples through Apache or take a different route?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this is probably the route I need to take for a well-rounded start of the most common chips. I think I might also look for some cheap Paulsons as well for comparison.

I saw the super sample set when checking out the site, but was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a good representation of how they feel with only 1 or two of each chip type. Did you get your samples through Apache or take a different route?
So I think I went with the TRK, Jumers primary and secondary, IG, Majestic Star, and a barrel of Jumers primary $5.

It's all worth it in my opinion, but if I could do it all over again, I'd get a barrel of the Jumers secondary or a higher denom IG because they're less worn. I'd skip the Majestic Stars altogether.

Like I said though - no regrets. Was all worth it. They all showcase a little something that I didn't know prior to. And buying from Apache was a great/easy experience.

So I think I went with the TRK, Jumers primary and secondary, IG, Majestic Star, and a barrel of Jumers primary $5.

It's all worth it in my opinion, but if I could do it all over again, I'd get a barrel of the Jumers secondary or a higher denom IG because they're less worn. I'd skip the Majestic Stars altogether.

Like I said though - no regrets. Was all worth it. They all showcase a little something that I didn't know prior to. And buying from Apache was a great/easy experience.

Good tips on the Jumers secondary. They do look a lot cleaner than the Majestics.

I guess I should go ahead and just start placing some orders and get some in hand. Thanks for your insight!

I went straight to barrels, but there's always the option of buying the super sample and then buying barrels of the ones you like.

I got a sample set of the majestics, bank, and penthouse from Apache. I like the edge designs of the majestics but I prefer inlays with just numbers/patterns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom