Favorite Pizza (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
The "What are you a snob of?" thread inspired me to make this; apologies if there is already a thread out there that's similar.

To me, taste in pizza is subjective as there are different styles. NY, Chicago, Detroit, New Haven, West Coast, Neapolitan all have their pros and cons.

In no particular order, here are my favorites:

Chicago style: Giordano's. I haven't had Peaquod's, Lou's or Gino's, but the Giordano's I've had was excellent. Screw the knife and fork. Go right in on this. Cheese and sauce were really fresh. Crust was surprisingly light, crispy, and not very heavy.

New York Style: Can't beat the local places around me. Not going to rattle them off here as it would directly give away where I'm located, but I'll throw a couple out there:

Spirito's, Elizabeth, NJ: Quintessential old school red sauce Italian restaurant that are sadly getting more and more scarce as time goes on. Still cash only. Refuse to serve you butter with your pre-meal bread, even if you request it. Pizza is out of this world, ravioli's are homemade and just as good if not better.

Santillo's, Elizabeth, NJ: I used to work in Elizabeth so both entries from there. Look up Portnoy's Barstool pizza review of this place. Tells you all you need to know about the place. Take out and delivery only; you're basically walking into someone's side entrance of their house/basement that has a pizza oven and a counter in it essentially. Pizza is brick oven and among the best I've tasted. Get the sicilian (square) style here and ask for it well done and thank me later.

Luigi's, Fairfield, CT: Another no nonsense Italian place but with nice decor for a sit down meal. Their homemade bread combined with some olive oil is an awesome snack. Pizza is just so solid and still at just over $10 for a plain pie.

Neapolitan/fancy pizza:

Houdini Pizza Lab, Fanwood, NJ: No frills brick oven place that uses homemade fresh mozzarella and fresh tomato sauce. My go to when I'm in the area.

Giorgio's, Ft. Lauderdale, FL: Outside of NJ but one of the best pizzas I've ever had. Dough is light and airy and ingredients fresh as can be. When I was last there 10 years ago, I ate a whole 14" pie and still had room for dessert.

New Haven:

Frank Pepe's, Fairfield and New Haven, CT: I've eaten at both locations and the original New Haven location is a bit better than the Fairfield one. Both locations have that crisp, chewy, almost nutty crust that I love. The margherita with fresh tomato or with San Marzano sauce and fresh mozzarella make me drool just thinking about it. Sally's in New Haven is also on my pizza bucket list.

Please add your favorites!

Mmmm...love Giordano’s!

I have three local favorites:
  • A local brewery here has spent grain pizzas. The crust is made from the brewing grains.
  • There’s a coal-fires place that just does pizza right—nice crust, good meats, and a terrific sauce.
  • Napol Restaurant, which is a local institution owned by a Greek family. I don’t think they’ve updated the decor in 40 years. :) The pizza isn’t great, but it’s so great, if that makes sense. Thin, hand tossed crust, cut into squares. Tons of cheese and greasy pepperoni. It’s just perfect.
Note: I live in southeast Iowa, so what the heck do I know about pizza?

Frank Pepe's, Fairfield and New Haven, CT: I've eaten at both locations and the original New Haven location is a bit better than the Fairfield one. Both locations have that crisp, chewy, almost nutty crust that I love. The margherita with fresh tomato or with San Marzano sauce and fresh mozzarella make me drool just thinking about it. Sally's in New Haven is also on my pizza bucket list.

Sallys is incredible -- although I haven't been there since the ownership changed.

While it isn't my favorite style... for Chicago pizza my hands down winner is:
Lou Malnati's

Been to Gino's, Uno's, Due's, Giordano's, blah blah blah... LM's is where it's at.
But like I said, not a fan of the pizza casserole :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:! I prefer thin crust!

I love them all. But a regional favorite that many people might not know about is greek pizza. Around here, if it's called _________ House of Pizza, it's probably greek and it's probably good. It's got a thickish, kind of spongy crust, it's made in a pan, so its a bit thick (nothing like chicago style, just a bit thicker than average,) the sauce is usually on the sweeter side, lots of cheese and toppings, and it's greasy. Good stuff.

Gotta be NY style pizza. Big slice with thin crust that you can fold. The closest thing I’ve found in the LA area is Mulberry St Pizza.

Everybody says the pizza in NY is better. My experience overall would say yes! Years ago went a got a slice somewhere near Wall St (don’t remember the name of the place). Freakin incredible. Is it the water? Idk

Chicago style for the win.

Favorite local spots are Tony’s and Capo’s with Capo’s having the edge. I feel like I’m in a prohibition era bar every time I walk into that place.

I love them all. But a regional favorite that many people might not know about is greek pizza. Around here, if it's called _________ House of Pizza, it's probably greek and it's probably good. It's got a thickish, kind of spongy crust, it's made in a pan, so its a bit thick (nothing like chicago style, just a bit thicker than average,) the sauce is usually on the sweeter side, lots of cheese and toppings, and it's greasy. Good stuff.

That sounds similar to our regional style of pizza. "Regina Style"

Fat Lorenzo's in Bloomington, MN is an absolute gem.

I am so dam biased on this one, that i wont even say my fav.

But i agree i like the personal sized pizzas in italy and the prosciutto has the be placed on the last min or so just to get the oils warmed up flavoring the cheese and then dazzeled with extra virgin olive oil

I love any type of pizza, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've probably averaged 2 pizzas a week over the course of my life :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:.

American pizza though (or any other for that matter) will never match up to traditional stonebaked italian pizza. I found a particularly good place up in the Italian Alps and I made sure I ate there every day for a week lol.

Friend of mine is Italian and he makes his own from scratch and cooks them in his pizza oven at home. They are up there with anything I've had.

Here is one of his garlic and pulled lamb pizzas. I'm usually a margherita or pepperoni guy, but these tasted unbelievable.
Screenshot_20200208_001539.jpg

I really don’t discriminate, I love Chicago style, big cheesy greasy floppy New York style, thin crisp coal oven style... it’s all delicious. When I’m in Chicago I always hit up Lou Malnati’s

Around me the local favorite is Star Tavern, which is well known throughout the region. My opinion on the pizza there has always been the same: it’s overrated (people talk about it as if eating it is a religious experience), but it’s still excellent. Being good and being overrated are not mutually exclusive.

I think if I had to choose one style for the rest of my life, it would be Star Tavern style, though, which is super thin crust cheesy bar pie.

EDIT: Should have known to post pr0n in the first place. Photo does not belong to me....

Star Pizza.jpg

Last edited:
They say pizza is just like sex. Even if it's bad, it's still good enough:D
Jokes apart, I like pizza to be as close and loyal to the Italian original as possible, mainly thin and crispy.
Greece's closest equivalent is NOT the inedible thick and spongy thing sold as pizza here, but rather the traditional Epirot "pitta" (literally, pie) with just cheese or cheese and herbs (other than bread that is). It's somewhat labour-intensive, and hence abandoned by both restaurants (including in Epirus itself) and housewives (the latter being nowadays too busy on facebook:rolleyes:)

While it isn't my favorite style... for Chicago pizza my hands down winner is:
Lou Malnati's

Been to Gino's, Uno's, Due's, Giordano's, blah blah blah... LM's is where it's at.
But like I said, not a fan of the pizza casserole :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:! I prefer thin crust!

I know guys out here in California that order Malnati’s frozen via their site. They’re almost on automatic. Every month, re-order re-order. I have to try it and see what the hype is about.

My favorite pizza is served in Bangkok. And that's saying something because as a rule, pizza in Asia tends to be horrendous. :oops:

pizza.jpg

Picking your favorite pizza is an impossible task. When I was a kid this lady opened a shop in downtown Mesa. She just moved from NY. Momma Joann's NY Pizza (R.I.P)...big handlebar crust, unbelievable. In general I prefer Chicago Style thin crust cut in squares but haven't had any authentic pies since I haven't been to Chi-town in 30 years. A Gino's East opened up in Arizona years ago and that was damn good. I want to go to WCB one day just for the food! I worked for a Chicago guy who opened a shop in AZ years ago. Uncle Punk' Chicago Pizza was spectacular. I used to custom make pies to take home Chicago sliced roast beef and sauerkraut. You can't believe how good that is.

I was introduced to a legend in Quad Cities...many imposters but never the same as Harris Pizza. We had a friend in Moline that worked for FED EX. He would buy pies par baked and overnight them to us in Arizona.

The NYC VS Chicago pizza debate will never end. It's not like hot dogs where Chicago is the undisputed king of the world.

I know guys out here in California that order Malnati’s frozen via their site. They’re almost on automatic. Every month, re-order re-order. I have to try it and see what the hype is about.

I’ve ordered it from here in NJ. Not quite the same, but it’ll definitely satisfy a craving.

Lou Malnati's deep dish sausage and mushrooms pizza. No contest. Lou Malnati's is my favorite meal at Windy City Blowout. :tup:

Okay, I didn’t know we were doing specifics. There’s a place near me - Denly Gardens, in Weymouth, Massachusetts that makes the best pizza I’ve ever had. They’ve been around since 1933 and everything inside appears original.
Their pizza is a thin crust Italian, similar to New York style. It’s buttery, it’s salty, it’s perfect.
I can’t tell you how much my mouth watered, just typing this.
The pizza on the bottom is their Super - pepper, onion, mushroom, salami, and sausage - as good as it gets.
63EC80CA-8C94-42A9-8334-CD4C95D9A808.jpeg

When I'm in Las Vegas I make it a point to eat at Grimaldi's.
They have a couple locations in Texas, but I've only been to locations in and around Las Vegas.

Dunno if I've mentioned this earlier in the thread or not, but we also make grilled pizza at home. Fresh home-made dough, then grilled outdoors in the style of Al Forno in Providence, RI (home of the famous grilled pizza with corn).

Heat your wood, charcoal, or gas grill as high as it will go. Oil the grate. Lay your dough out and cook the first side -- takes about a minute. Pull the crust, flip it over, oil, add sauce, cheese, toppings, whatever. Back on the grill Close the lid and cook for about two minutes, max. Superb flavor!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom