Electric pickups! (1 Viewer)

Transportation makes up 27% of emissions in the US. Power generation another 25%. EVs aren't the magic bullet, they're a tool to get our emissions down. And it just so happens they're a fun one. Prices will come down eventually, though not overnight, and emissions will start to come down with them, all while simultaneously removing fossil fuel generation from the grid. The faster the better, but these things take time. We've unfortunately waited long enough that we'll need more advanced forms of carbon capture to go along with everything else. It would have been cheaper to start these changes decades ago, but here we are.

Transportation makes up 27% of emissions in the US. Power generation another 25%. EVs aren't the magic bullet, they're a tool to get our emissions down. And it just so happens they're a fun one. Prices will come down eventually, though not overnight, and emissions will start to come down with them, all while simultaneously removing fossil fuel generation from the grid. The faster the better, but these things take time. We've unfortunately waited long enough that we'll need more advanced forms of carbon capture to go along with everything else. It would have been cheaper to start these changes decades ago, but here we are.
Def fun to drive! According to my app, I'm a horrible driver and shouldn't be on the road

all you are doing is buying pretty fancy toys that few can afford/obtain and showing them off.
The average cost of a new vehicle is $48,182. So everybody that purchased a new vehicle whether IC or EV is showing off somehow? Most people can't afford a new house so the ones that can are showing off somehow? Are you saying anybody that purchases something that others can't, won't, or don't, are just showing off?

I think you don't really care about the affordability of EV's or why people choose to purchase them. I think it comes down to somehow you believe conservatives shouldn't buy them for some reason. That's ok, keep driving whatever IC car you enjoy and wear or display whatever signage or bumper sticker you want.

It’s not people, it’s the government/media saying it will save the planet lol! And a few people on this thread also believe EV is a more green choice, and that’s up for debate.

Most consumers at this point are buying EV for the luxury/performance to your point. And some ROI on electricity > gas that would take 5+ years to justify as you mentioned.

My PHEV isn’t a luxury car at all. It fits my needs: Good ground clearance for my bumpy dirt road. AWD for winter. 50 mile electric range, meaning I can run it like a full EV 90% of the time, with a gas backup for rare occasions when I go more than 25 miles from home. I can “refill” the electric in 3-4 hours with a Level 2 charger using my small solar array. I put one small tank of (non-ethanol) gas in it every 10 weeks or so.

The car (RAV4 Prime, base model) also has a decent amount of interior room, and has really great acceleration in electric mode.

My goal is practicality as far as driving performance, and more self-sufficiency as far as power supply. I don’t have to worry how high gas prices might go. I can supply my own “fuel” (electricity) if the rest of the world can’t.

If I could get an electric pickup then I could go from two vehicles to one, since I do need the capability of an off-road capable truck to manage my property. That’s it.

Last edited:
Anyway, this thread was intended for those who do want an EV pickup, to discuss options and future vehicles coming our way.

Those who can’t stand the idea that others might want one… Not sure why you’re posting, except to work out your own issues, irrelevant to the discussion. It’s like TRK owners who feel some need to threadcrap someone’s THC sale, or vice-versa.

Anyway, this thread was intended for those who do want an EV pickup, to discuss options and future vehicles coming our way.

Those who can’t stand the idea that others might want one… Not sure why you’re posting, except to work out your own issues, irrelevant to the discussion. It’s like TRK owners who feel some need to threadcrap someone’s THC sale, or vice-versa.
It’s been a really good discussion and I’ve tried to focus on making sure you lock down a reservation/deposit bc whatever you decide with most likely is a 2 year wait or $40k over sticker (EV TRUCKS) due to supply constraints. Plenty of people have talked about the trucks they want, but EV is going to come with some baggage! LOL

Last edited:
I will be very interested to see what the electric Ram 1500 EV looks like, though it is looking like this won’t come until 2024 at the earliest.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ram/1500-ev

Pre-Gladiator, the company which built my custom Jeep pickup, AEV, transitioned to primarily modifying Ram trucks. They offer a lot of lifts and other add-ons for standard RAMs (as well as making mods to Gladiators... basically as far as I can see Jeep either copied or bought AEV’s tech for the Gladiator.)

One question I expect to have with aftermarket stuff on EV pickups: How easy will it be to do added lifts, etc., when so much of the controls of EV are heavily computerized?

Even on my V6 2013 AEV Brute Double Cab—which was built from the guts of a Rubicon—the specs on tire size, gear ratio, etc. have to be programmed using a special module. One time a Jeep dealer managed to wipe these settings without telling me, so when I left the garage it wouldn’t go above 10 mph. Luckily I had the module on hand with instructions and the correct settings, so I was able to get it back to normal.

Whenever the RAM EV comes out the one thing you can be sure of is the drivers will have their tow mirrors extended even when they’re not towing. Amirite?

I just can’t get behind the prices they’re pushing for those things. I mean, it’s basically forcing everyone to rent one from a bank…

I’m not the guy to go spend $120K-$150K for a truck. 50-60 was about as high as I could stomach.

Which trucks cost $150K?
Well, considering the Rivian is posted as used for $120+

And mathing in that the world is full dumb…

If I carry the one…. Stelantis will have the EV Ram at around 80-100 model depending, plus dealer, plus market in general.

I mean, the EV Silverado is AMAZING, and the RAM will be better IMO.

So I’m saying it’s a $150K truck. Used Rivian dinky thing price, plus market, plus dealer = Whoa.

Oh, and the lightning sucks. Don’t buy it. Wait for a new F150. Ford is so bad about revamping old shit, with a battery (looking at you focus). I went and looked at them…

Felt like I got in my old 2017 Platinum, just with a new touchscreen. Same shit, different flavor.

The average cost of a new vehicle is $48,182. So everybody that purchased a new vehicle whether IC or EV is showing off somehow? Most people can't afford a new house so the ones that can are showing off somehow? Are you saying anybody that purchases something that others can't, won't, or don't, are just showing off?

I think you don't really care about the affordability of EV's or why people choose to purchase them. I think it comes down to somehow you believe conservatives shouldn't buy them for some reason. That's ok, keep driving whatever IC car you enjoy and wear or display whatever signage or bumper sticker you want.
Agree, $50k for a new vehicle is not extreme. Wife and I went shopping for a new RAV4 Limited hybrid earlier this year. Every Toyota dealer in the area, including the one we've purchased 6 vehicles from, wanted 6 to 8 grand above MSRP. No thanks pal. I'm not paying $54k+ for a RAV no matter how nice it is. This made the EV decision much simpler; no gas, no brakes, no oil changes, no tune ups, insane Gs off-the-line, new features added via software updates almost on a monthly basis, and I wake up every morning with 325m in the "tank". All for less than the RAV and no sales tax for EVs in NJ

Like upgrading to a 4k TV to replace your CRT, can't go back

with my annual camping weekend in the mountains coming up, it just occurred to me...is an EV truck useless for a weekend excursion into the wilderness (165 miles from home)? :cry:

with my annual camping weekend in the mountains coming up, it just occurred to me...is an EV truck useless for a weekend excursion into the wilderness (165 miles from home)? :cry:
Should be fine I would think. 400mi range, can charge all your peripherals, and if site has an RV hookup, bonus.

My wife pointed out one of the other benefits driving an EV is that she never has to pump gas again...as guys we don't have to normally consider how vulnerable a woman may feel while she's pumping gas; especially at night. The other thing is that I change all our oil, something happens to me and she won't have to worry about that with her EV or getting taken to the cleaners at the local oil change shop.

Well, Im closer to your age than to a millenial's....I just don' feel the same need to come in to a thread and crap on it based on a stereotype. Not sure why this needs to get nasty, nor political, but here we go I guess.

My future ride:

View attachment 979209
Total Recall (the Arnie one) called. It wants its prop back.

Well, considering the Rivian is posted as used for $120+

So I’m saying it’s a $150K truck. Used Rivian dinky thing price, plus market, plus dealer = Whoa.
A new Rivian is 80-100k.

Tesla CT's were originally marketed from 39k to 80k depending on motor setup.

I have no interest in the Lightning, but my understanding the MSRP was around 60k. Maybe less for the lower range one?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom