Electric pickups! (2 Viewers)

A new Rivian is 80-100k.

Tesla CT's were originally marketed from 39k to 80k depending on motor setup.

I have no interest in the Lightning, but my understanding the MSRP was around 60k. Maybe less for the lower range one?
Lowest priced Rivian in the nation is a USED one for $105K (no good options)

Maybe there’s others, but that’s off CarGurus nationwide search.

I understand that advertised price…. But then there is the real world. A squished clay disk should cost 3 cents. But here we are…….. :wtf:

Sure hope they fix this power grid issue at some point. :rolleyes: I’d hate to own a six figure plus vehicle that I couldn’t even drive when I needed to.:unsure:
https://fortune.com/2022/09/01/california-electric-cars-charge-newsom/

I did look at a hybrid Jeep Rubicon for about 63k yesterday, would probably be my first option if I was to ever enter this market.
I must say I never thought I’d see the day when people talked about ANY six figured costing vehicle like it was some kind of new normal.
It’s amazing what folks can become conditioned to vs the reality of what their saying.
Best wishes on that mortgage, I mean CAR payment. ;)

Power grid issues, limited range - Aren't these the same arguments that people used when the first "horseless carriages" were rolling out?

My horse can refuel anywhere. Your new thing is meant solely for city driving. You're just being showy with your money.

100 years later. Things never change. There are always people who think they smarter by fighting progress.

Power grid issues, limited range - Aren't these the same arguments that people used when the first "horseless carriages" were rolling out?

My horse can refuel anywhere. Your new thing is meant solely for city driving. You're just being showy with your money.

100 years later. Things never change. There are always people who think they smarter by fighting progress.
I think progress works differently for many people and I’ve never ever claimed to be all that smart. I actually enjoy things that are more simplistic in life.

Common sense tells me that I don’t need a car payment attached to a vehicle that costs me 6 figures when all my currently owned vehicles are paid for and in top operating condition. ;) The good thing is that I’ll always have the option to become smarter in the future if I so choose to do so and it’s a sound financial decision for myself at that time.

Lowest priced Rivian in the nation is a USED one for $105K (no good options)

Maybe there’s others, but that’s off CarGurus nationwide search.

I understand that advertised price…. But then there is the real world. A squished clay disk should cost 3 cents. But here we are…….. :wtf:
Vehicles with a high demand go UP in price off the lot right now. That doesnt mean they cost 150k.

Rivian starts at 71k. That's no doubt a lot of money. It's less than half what you stated though.

Vehicles with a high demand go UP in price off the lot right now. That doesnt mean they cost 150k.

Rivian starts at 71k. That's no doubt a lot of money. It's less than half what you stated though.
I understand market value.

It’s 2022…. Prices are what they are. The market has determined it is much higher. So for now, the Rivian starts at 105 - used……. Not 71.

Show me a New Rivian for $71k

If we don’t agree on that, I guess we can just disagree. :tup:

It’s 2022…. Prices are what they are. The market has determined it is much higher. So for now, the Rivian starts at 105 - used……. Not 71.

What the hell!!!! Don’t bring facts into this you frickin troublemaker. Just go along with the crowd, quit thinking about stuff so much. Damn independent thinkers, ruin everything for everybody.
Now people are going up have to actually look stuff up to see what’s real instead of parroting media talking points. You really derailed this now, from opposing media viewpoints to actual factual arguments.

I think progress works differently for many people and I’ve never ever claimed to be all that smart. I actually enjoy things that are more simplistic in life.

Common sense tells me that I don’t need a car payment attached to a vehicle that costs me 6 figures when all my currently owned vehicles are paid for and in top operating condition. ;) The good thing is that I’ll always have the option to become smarter in the future if I so choose to do so and it’s a sound financial decision for myself at that time.
I would never fight the price argument. I had the "luxury" of being one of the first people in North America to drive the Nissan Leaf, as their North American HQ is in my fire protection district. It felt (and drove) like a $20,000 car, but they were asking $30,000. Their "selling points" were long-term savings and the government incentive.

I already mitigate the long-term savings by avoiding single-stop trips. My 2014 pickup truck just rolled over past the 5,000 mile mark. That's saving money on fuel! I dare-say, constantly charging may actually cost more than my actual fuel costs on that particular vehicle. As for "It costs less because of the rebate - That's hogwash if It costs more to get less. If it drove like a $30,000 car I would have ordered one.

Now Tesla has nice vehicles. I've driven a friends and loved it. However, my last car-buying trip I was able to negotiate a killer deal, and Tesla doesn't negotiate, so stuck with internal combustion...
1662477521374.png

I negotiated the price, Mrs Zombie bargained for the bow.

Meanwhile the truck remains in the driveway. It's due to be replaced in 2026, and I hope electric trucks come down in price. However, at an expected 10,000 miles, I just may keep the gas-burner in service. Because for me, price is the major motivator.

It’s 2022…. Prices are what they are. The market has determined it is much higher. So for now, the Riv

Screenshot_20220906-123954.png

I think you should invest in one of these. It only makes perfect financial sense. I heard a politician tell those that aren’t happy about gas prices that they should go out and buy one of these EVs. I mean, it should only take numerous years to see the return on that investment, and I know everyone has that kind of money burning holes in their wallets. Who better to tell us how to live than celebrities and politicians that are so in touch with reality?!

I think you should invest in one of these. It only makes perfect financial sense. I heard a politician tell those that aren’t happy about gas prices that they should go out and buy one of these EVs. I mean, it should only take numerous years to see the return on that investment, and I know everyone has that kind of money burning holes in their wallets. Who better to tell us how to live than celebrities and politicians that are so in touch with reality?!
At least with EV's there is the potential for a ROI. Not so much for any IC.

Why has this devolved into a political rallying cry for the right? Remember when conservatives actually you know, believed in conservation? Not so much anymore. Those of you that are shitting on the idea of buying an EV are being partisan. American made EV's with a range of 259mi with dealer installed home charging station can be had easily today for $35-40k. Very affordable and not the "mortgage" payment you are bemoaning.

If you don't want an EV so be it but the attempts to belittle those that do is mind boggling.

Why has this devolved into a political rallying cry for the right? Remember when conservatives actually you know, believed in conservation? Not so much anymore. Those of you that are shitting on the idea of buying an EV are being partisan. American made EV's with a range of 259mi with dealer installed home charging station can be had easily today for $35-40k. Very affordable and not the "mortgage" payment you are bemoaning.

If you don't want an EV so be it but the attempts to belittle those that do is mind boggling.
Who has said anything political? You are the only one bringing those words into this. It’s like you are trying to create a divide…..

EVs are a super complicated topic. It’s a weird amalgam of cost benefit considerations, display of luxury, supply demand imbalance, environmentalism, and technological advancements with interesting potential for major disruption. It’s almost impossible not to drift into politics with that mix, sadly.

People buy or oppose them for a variety of different reasons.

I am planning to replace my 2014 Tundra in approx 2 years and EVs are definitley a consideration but only semi-seriously. I am very pragmatic so not likely to pay a premium to get into it. But the self driving Teslas are super cool. Need to get one of my coworkers to give me a ride in one.

I think we’d all be served to try and not insult each other (or just so that in the politics tab) and instead focus on the technical features and astetics etc that we like or dislike on the various models. For instance, I think the Tesla pickup looks stupid and I wish it looked normal because if it did I’d probably have a deposit on one.

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus Electric in May 2013 for CAD$35,200 after incentives and taxes. That would have been about USD$26,500 at the time. And that included air con AZ the only option, something I never before would have considered.

Not everybody had to pay an arm and a leg. Only now that demand has skyrocketed.

Who has said anything political? You are the only one bringing those words into this. It’s like you are trying to create a divide…..
Nope. You've been basically quoting talking points from the right since the beginning of this thread. Coincidence?

And now Trump, who was for EV's now wants to get rid of them.
https://electrek.co/2022/09/05/donald-trump-nonsensical-rant-electric-cars/

Anyways, go ahead and tell me how your anti EV opinion has nothing to do about your political ideology.

I think @ekricket summed it up pretty nicely.

I could create a list 20 pages long of what “the left” used to be, but I won’t go there. You might not like it.

As for the vehicle I choose, it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I drive a big, gas guzzling SUV that pulls big, gas guzzling boats all over the country. When an EV truck or SUV comes out that will let let me drive hundreds of miles into the boondocks of NW Ontario, I might consider one. I just don’t think anyone should be telling me what to drive, especially some out of touch politician.

I bought my 2012 Ford Focus Electric in May 2013 for CAD$35,200 after incentives and taxes. That would have been about USD$26,500 at the time. And that included air con AZ the only option, something I never before would have considered.

Not everybody had to pay an arm and a leg. Only now that demand has skyrocketed.
Aside from demand contributing to higher costs, most manufacturers have decided to make their EV entry into the premium class first. If you priced out a similar appointed premium IC car, the pricing would be comparable.

I think @ekricket summed it up pretty nicely.

I could create a list 20 pages long of what “the left” used to be, but I won’t go there. You might not like it.

As for the vehicle I choose, it has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I drive a big, gas guzzling SUV that pulls big, gas guzzling boats all over the country. When an EV truck or SUV comes out that will let let me drive hundreds of miles into the boondocks of NW Ontario, I might consider one. I just don’t think anyone should be telling me what to drive, especially some out of touch politician.
But who's telling you what to drive?
Same with regard to party transformation. I'm think we can agree that both parties pretty much stink and the two-party system has proven to be a cancerous debacle over the past 70yrs.

But who's telling you what to drive?
When politicians in CA (my “home” state) ban certain vehicles, and then a virtue signaling, out of touch elitist politician in Texas nonchalantly tell struggling Americans that if they don’t like the gas prices that have gone up fivefold to just go out and slap down tens of thousands of dollars on a pet car, I find it disingenuous and repulsive. And when I have a 21 year college girl shouting through a bullhorn at me because she thinks my SUV is going to cause California to fall off into the ocean, well, I find that repulsive too.

Nope. You've been basically quoting talking points from the right since the beginning of this thread. Coincidence?

And now Trump, who was for EV's now wants to get rid of them.
https://electrek.co/2022/09/05/donald-trump-nonsensical-rant-electric-cars/

Anyways, go ahead and tell me how your anti EV opinion has nothing to do about your political ideology.
You don’t know anything about me. I’m not anti EV at all. I don’t think they are saving the planet though. So since I’m not anti-EV I’m liberal now?

I don’t make any assumptions about you or your politics. If you are saying stupid shit then you are saying stupid shit, no matter who you pray to.

I’m common sense guy, I’ll buy whatever makes economical sense. I guess I’m not a liberal now.

When politicians in CA (my “home” state) ban certain vehicles, and then a virtue signaling, out of touch elitist politician in Texas nonchalantly tell struggling Americans that if they don’t like the gas prices that have gone up fivefold to just go out and slap down tens of thousands of dollars on a pet car, I find it disingenuous and repulsive. And when I have a 21 year college girl shouting through a bullhorn at me because she thinks my SUV is going to cause California to fall off into the ocean, well, I find that repulsive too.
But like I said, EV's aren't as crazy expensive to buy; should you ever decide to. A new 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV can be purchased out the door for under $35k; here in Texas anyways. That includes a free home charging kit install. So yes can someone spend $100k on and EV sure. They can also easily spend $100k on an IC vehicle. Same goes for the lower priced spectrum.
Until your reply, I didn't understand where all this EV vs IC angst was coming from. You don't strike me as a person that would give two craps about what a Texas politician has to say on the subject; although TBH I'm not sure of whom you are referring.

I’m not anti EV at all. I don’t think they are saving the planet though.
It takes much less carbon to build and maintain a tent than it does a house.
If you are serious about this green movement then get on board.
If you are just signaling, well, that’s just the kind of person you are.

“I’m saving the planet cause I drive an electric car”. If that’s the kind of validation you need in life then you don’t have much of a life.

People that drive EV’s are deluding themselves if they think they are saving the planet, as if that’s the only thing humans do that affect the environment.
What’s next is my point. So caped crusaders get rid of all the IC cars. You think that’s fixed the problem? You don’t think humans are affecting the climate anymore?
It’s just like any other problem nowadays. Earth is dying? Just throw $60,000 at it and the problems fixed! Better yet, get the government to give you money to throw at it! You can just buy your way out of anything nowadays, even apparent global catastrophe.

How about not driving anything? That’s a pretty small carbon footprint.

But yes, until a lot more changes this is just virtue signaling by “early adopters”.

View attachment 979139View attachment 979140View attachment 979141View attachment 979142

Honesty!!
Buy one if you think you need it to be cool. Wear a mask when you drive it if you want to add some extra style points for the masses. Hell, put a BLM sticker on it if you are using it to drop the kids off at school and want prestige there.

But you are not saving the world at all. You are just redistributing wealth and power. They thank you.

If it was really that imperative then we could all just stop driving. Before you say impossible, consider the years of lockdown when nobody went anywhere.

Until you go there then all you are doing is buying pretty fancy toys that few can afford/obtain and showing them off. You can justify it in your head any way you want, but at the end of the day they are just newer shinier toys to brag on.

So brag on! Tell us how great you are and show us by putting some pictures up. Do you “know somebody” that can get you one sooner?
If so then you are cool. Probably so cool you can turn your AC off and -no wait, electricity is cheap! Planet getting hot? Turn up the AC, electricity’s cheap in the US!!!
Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your previous posts.

But like I said, EV's aren't as crazy expensive to buy; should you ever decide to. A new 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV can be purchased out the door for under $35k; here in Texas anyways. That includes a free home charging kit install. So yes can someone spend $100k on and EV sure. They can also easily spend $100k on an IC vehicle. Same goes for the lower priced spectrum.
Until your reply, I didn't understand where all this EV vs IC angst was coming from. You don't strike me as a person that would give two craps about what a Texas politician has to say on the subject; although TBH I'm not sure of whom you are referring.
I would consider buying an EV if they could produce something affordable that fit my needs. It would have nothing to do with the environmental aspect, though, as I don’t believe the EVs are the end all.

As for the politician that said that, it was our energy secretary and former mayor. I mistyped that.

I couldn’t care less what elitist politicians say on the electric front. When they put their money where their mouth is on the matter, ie they stop flying around the world on their private jets, and they sell their monstrous mansions in favor of tents or tiny homes, I might give them an ounce of a listen on the subject.

Last edited:
I would consider buying an EV if they could produce something affordable that fit my needs. It would have nothing to do with the environmental aspect, though, as I don’t believe the EVs are the end all.

As for the politician that said that, it was our energy secretary and former mayor. I mistyped that.

I couldn’t care less what elitist politicians say on the electric matter. When they put their money where their mouth is on the matter, ie they stop flying around the world on their private jets, and they sell their monstrous mansions in favor of tents or tiny homes, I might give them an ounce of a listen on the matter.
Now that I can get behind.

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your previous posts.
No, you read your own bias into them when you sensed somebody challenged your political positions. It’s an easy mistake for anybody that gets their “knowledge” from a biased source to make.

No, you read your own bias into them when you sensed somebody challenged your political positions. It’s an easy mistake for anybody that gets their “knowledge” from a biased source to make.
Not my political positions at all but none of your political statements I quoted above would lead most people to any other conclusion.

So ok, you're pro EV as long as people that purchase them don't believe evs reduce our carbon footprint. Got it.

Went to the local Chevy dealership this evening to test drive the Bolt EUV with my father-in-law. They had 2 on the lot available to buy. Both had leather interior but one was an upgraded LT and the other was a Premium model with moon roof, heated/cooling seats, Bose sound system. The LT was $37k and the Premium $41k before a $6200 discount. Also included was $1000 towards installing home charging system but can charge on either 110 or 220 outlet. Their new updated battery can charge up to a range of 200mi in 20 minutes; with full range of 259mi. Regenerative braking for single pedal drive mode or can also drive like normal IC car.
So a new EV with good range and performance can be purchased for around $31k.

I think that's pretty reasonable for anybody wanting to enter the EV segment without paying out the arse.

Also since I have an EV Silverado reserved, the salesman gave me an update on those as well. It's going to be a heck of a truck. Not sure I'll follow through though as I really like my jeep gladiator.

Sure hope they fix this power grid issue at some point. :rolleyes: I’d hate to own a six figure plus vehicle that I couldn’t even drive when I needed to.:unsure:
https://fortune.com/2022/09/01/california-electric-cars-charge-newsom/

I did look at a hybrid Jeep Rubicon for about 63k yesterday, would probably be my first option if I was to ever enter this market.
I must say I never thought I’d see the day when people talked about ANY six figured costing vehicle like it was some kind of new normal.
It’s amazing what folks can become conditioned to vs the reality of what their saying.
Best wishes on that mortgage, I mean CAR payment. ;)
68E2678E-967C-4093-B95C-BE372A8227B4.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom