Driving through Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky. What are the must-stop bourbon shops? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
My wife and I will be driving through Kentucky next month. I'm not really looking to do a distillery tour, although I'm not really opposed. I'm just looking for a good shop that would be likely to carry some nice bottles that I can't find here in Iowa (which, frankly, is most of them). Any recommendations?

But if you're looking to just buy some bourbon, Total Wine in St. Matthews may be the biggest that I know of.
If you're looking to taste some nice bourbons, they just opened Neat Bourbon Bar
Neat Bourbon Bar looks...well, neat. :)

I will check out Total Wine. I was hoping to find some Weller (just the green label would be fine), but that's not looking promising.

Right. I'd love to get my hands on an Antique 107 or one of the other better bottles, but if I could find a couple Special Reserves, I would be happy. It's my favorite less expensive sipper.

I'm hoping to stumble across a few myself on my trip to Alabama

Old Forester and Justin’s House of Bourbon. Both Louisville.
Or the Original Justin’s House of Bourbon in Lexington. One of the Justins is a close friend of mine. Great guys and they all love to talk bourbon if you stop in.

If you get off I-64 in Frankfort you can easily hit Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve on your way into Lexington to Justin’s.

Alltech has their distillery and visitors center a couple blocks from Justin’s in downtown Lex. Basically opposite sides of Rupp Arena. It’s a decent tour and visit if you want to take in a quick tour.

If you need any info about Lex just let me know. Safe travels.

Or the Original Justin’s House of Bourbon in Lexington. One of the Justins is a close friend of mine. Great guys and they all love to talk bourbon if you stop in.

If you get off I-64 in Frankfort you can easily hit Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve on your way into Lexington to Justin’s.

Alltech has their distillery and visitors center a couple blocks from Justin’s in downtown Lex. Basically opposite sides of Rupp Arena. It’s a decent tour and visit if you want to take in a quick tour.

If you need any info about Lex just let me know. Safe travels.
I appreciate your help. My wife wants to see some horses while in Kentucky. Any recommendations? Close-up and/or hands-on would be nice.

I appreciate your help. My wife wants to see some horses while in Kentucky. Any recommendations? Close-up and/or hands-on would be nice.

What dates are you coming through? I’m not sure if there are any auctions coming up but I’ll find out. Just going to Keeneland or Fasig-Tipton during the sales is amazing if you love horses.

What dates are you coming through? I’m not sure if there are any auctions coming up but I’ll find out. Just going to Keeneland or Fasig-Tipton during the sales is amazing if you love horses.
We'll stay in KY Saturday, March 12, so we'll look for something to do on Sunday. Or, we'll be through again on our return trip Friday 3/18, or Saturday 3/19.

We'll stay in KY Saturday, March 12, so we'll look for something to do on Sunday. Or, we'll be through again on our return trip Friday 3/18, or Saturday 3/19.
Check out Old Friends. It’s basically a retirement home for old race horses. Neat place with tours. Will get you up close with some thoroughbreds.

https://www.oldfriendsequine.org/tours.html

The Kentucky Horse Park is ok but isn’t thoroughbred centric.

Keeneland doesn’t have live racing either weekend you’re here but still great to visit and see what is going on.

You’re about a week too early as my daughter has a horse competition at the horse park the week after you leave. You could have gotten real up close and personal. Most of the major racing barns have tours. And I highly recommend taking a self guided driving tour of the beautiful horse farms on Paris Pike and surrounding area near Lexington.

Check out Old Friends. It’s basically a retirement home for old race horses. Neat place with tours. Will get you up close with some thoroughbreds.

https://www.oldfriendsequine.org/tours.html
We did this today. This was a fantastic tour, and my wife especially loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!

You’re about a week too early as my daughter has a horse competition at the horse park the week after you leave. You could have gotten real up close and personal. Most of the major racing barns have tours. And I highly recommend taking a self guided driving tour of the beautiful horse farms on Paris Pike and surrounding area near Lexington.
We took about an hour today and just drove around Paris/Georgetown area. We really enjoyed the huge farms with the stunning huge homes, but also found the more modest areas charming as well.

We didn’t end up doing any distillery tours. I didn’t want to bore my wife. :) I did get to Total Wine in Louisville, and got to a couple other liquor stores along the way. Picked up a few nice bottles. I got to meet @TonZaga, as well—he hooked me up with a 1.75L of Weller Special Reserve. He went out of his way to help a fellow PCF’er out! I appreciate it, Anthony!

We did this today. This was a fantastic tour, and my wife especially loved it. Thanks for the recommendation!

We took about an hour today and just drove around Paris/Georgetown area. We really enjoyed the huge farms with the stunning huge homes, but also found the more modest areas charming as well.

We didn’t end up doing any distillery tours. I didn’t want to bore my wife. :) I did get to Total Wine in Louisville, and got to a couple other liquor stores along the way. Picked up a few nice bottles. I got to meet @TonZaga, as well—he hooked me up with a 1.75L of Weller Special Reserve. He went out of his way to help a fellow PCF’er out! I appreciate it, Anthony!
Glad you enjoyed your time in our beautiful state! Until we meet again!

Glad you all enjoyed it. Everyone I know who has done that tour enjoyed it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom