Dreidel Game / Hanukkah Themed Sets? (1 Viewer)

GreekRedEye

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
A little late for the season this year, but I'm wondering if anyone has created a Hanukkah themed set, specifically I'm thinking about the dreidel game. A quick search of PCF came up dry.

My kids wanted to play the dreidel game the other night. We did not have any chocolate gelds. We used Dia de Los Muertos chips...they are festive but not quite the right festival! Made me think. Dreidel game is basically a forced Limit game with completely random pot wins. I'm not Jewish, but the game seems simple enough. So, I think a set with a bunch of workhorse chips and a value chip would work perfectly. And after the kids go to bed, the adults could play real Limit with it.

Any sets out there? Any observers of Hanukkah have ideas? I've got time this coming week and it sounds like a fun little design project.

The only time a set should force 8 denoms and have an increasing candle count on each one :LOL: :laugh:.

Why not both?
Chocolate poker chip gelt.

IMG_5246.jpeg

Why not both?
Chocolate poker chip gelt.

View attachment 1244932

I appreciate the attempt at a shaped inlay but it's a bit undersized. Colors are bright, but seems like a missed opportunity for spot progression. And a green $50? Strange denom breakdown. Real risk of chips disappearing into pockets or mouths (at least with my kids).

Also...dibs.

Glad to see there is some interest. I totally missed the timing on this. Maybe I should shelf it until the summer. And then see if there is enough interest in a group buy in time for Channukah?

I came here looking for ideas because I’m am currently designing this very set. Every year I throw a bonkers Hanukkah party with three different betting games culminating in a live auction. This year the wife green lit custom clay chips! Yay! have you worked any more on this idea?

I came here looking for ideas because I’m am currently designing this very set. Every year I throw a bonkers Hanukkah party with three different betting games culminating in a live auction. This year the wife green lit custom clay chips! Yay! have you worked any more on this idea?

Not at all. But happy to brainstorm if you want to bounce ideas. Be warned, I am pretty clueless about Hanukkah but would like to learn. This sounds like a very cool project!

I love collaborative projects. I apologize for the length of this post, but I aim to provide insight into my unique holiday party. People will cross state lines for this party. For those specifically interested in the chip designs, you might want to skip ahead.

Hanukkah History Brief:

Hanukkah celebrates the Israelites' victory over foreign occupation and their reclaiming of the temple. The menorah, emblematic of God's creation and the divine guidance leading the Israelites out of Egypt, was traditionally kept lit continuously. Upon reclaiming their temple, they found only enough oil to light the menorah for a single day. Despite this, they lit the menorah, and miraculously, the limited supply of oil lasted for eight days, the time needed to secure more oil. This remarkable event is the cornerstone of our celebration.

The Party:

For the past 20 years, I've been hosting a Hanukkah party that has grown from a simple gathering to the elaborate event it is today. Attendees are encouraged to bring their menorahs, and the event starts with "Menorah Roulette."

After everyone has placed their Roulette bets, the evening progresses with the lighting of the menorahs and the Hanukkah story being read to the children. Afterward, the younger children are taken upstairs by babysitters, marking the beginning of the games. These continue until the last menorah candle burns out, approximately an hour later, which signals the start of the live auction.

During the auction, guests use the money they've won from the games to bid on various gifts my wife and I have purchased, ranging from experiences and subscriptions to things like electronics and games, totaling around $1000.

The Games:

Our games are designed to be enjoyable and rewarding, encouraging guests to earn money for the auction rather than lose it.

Upon arrival, adults receive a gift bag containing chocolate gelt, a dreidel, five playing cards, five roulette poker chips, and play money, which we plan to replace with actual chips.

Hanukkah Roulette - is the first game of the night, where participants place bets on which candle will be the last to burn out. There are various betting options, similar to traditional roulette, but themed around the menorahs and candles.

The game features a table layout with grids representing menorahs and betting mats for placing wagers. Players are betting on the specific candle that will be the last to burn out. They can also make other bets such as a specific menorah with the last burning candle, or even the position of the candle on any menorah. Additional bets include predicting the row or column of menorahs with the last candle, choosing a candle by its color, or estimating the time until the last candle extinguishes.

Payouts are static and pay on odds.

4734BD82-A714-4C8C-82BF-B932ABB8AE9D_1_105_c.jpeg

Poker Hands - is a social game designed to encourage interaction, where guests trade cards to form winning poker hands.

Guests are initially given five playing cards and engage in trades to assemble the best possible poker hand. The objective is to negotiate and exchange cards discreetly so people don’t know what you have. The game becomes particularly intriguing with the inclusion of a Joker card, which grants its holder the power to force a card exchange with any player - exchanging the joker for any one of their opponents cards. The person who has the joker cannot make a poker hand and they have the option for redemption during the auction.

The culmination of the game involves comparing the poker hands formed, with rewards distributed according to the hand rankings.

Dreidel - is a traditional gambling game with historical significance, offering a simple yet engaging format where spins of the dreidel determine the distribution of tokens, adding an element of chance to the festivities.

The Dreidel game is a quintessential Hanukkah pastime, centered around a four-sided spinning top, each side engraved with a Hebrew letter: Nun (נ), Gimmel (ג), Hay (ה), and Shin (ש). The game unfolds as players take turns spinning the dreidel, with the outcome determining their action in the game. There are several ways to play but we have settled on a game where players gather around the table and the first player set the ante by putting a sum of money into the pot. Then they spin their dreidel and resolve the outcome.
  • Nun (נ): The player takes no action, passing the turn to the next player.
  • Gimmel (ג): The player wins the entire pot, often generating excitement among participants.
  • Hay (ה): The player claims half of the pot, rounding up if there's an odd number of tokens.
  • Shin (ש): The player contributes an additional ante to the pot, raising the stakes for the next spin.
Assuming they didn’t get a Gimmel, the play continues to the next player who add their ante to the pot and spins. When someone lands Gimmel that round is over and the next player starts the new one.

The Chips:

Please note: I’m open to all feedback, suggestions, and critiques, as I believe diverse perspectives will contribute to the best outcome. This will be quite the investment I and I want to make sure I do it right. I am open to every aspect of the design changing. Be picky but also be helpful.

We're considering ceramic chips for their customizability and are currently deliberating over the denominations and quantities needed, especially with the potential attendance of up to 30 people. We aim to provide players with a starting kit of chips and maintain a reserve for the "house."

Players start with:
$1 - 5 chips
$5 - 5 Chips
$25 - 4 Chips
$100 - 1 Chip

The house has:
$1 - TBD
$5 - TBD
$25 - TBD
$100 - TBD
$500 - TBD

I am also considering $0.50 and $1000 chips.

I've been experimenting with some chip designs and am eager for feedback. Given the investment involved, my goal is to create something that enhances our Hanukkah celebration and serves as a memorable token of the occasion but can also be used for a game of poker from time to time.

I am currently thinking about how to combine the first and second designs. I want poker suits on the chips too. The third one was the first attempt at something. I am including it for brainstorming ideas.

Hanukkah Chip 1 flat.png
Hanukkah Chip 1 flat poker.png
HC2.png

Here is what the first design looks like with multiple denominations.

Hanikkah chip array.png

Please give me all the feedback you have. It would be great if others were interested as we did a group order, but I will do this alone if needed. :)

THANKS!!!

-Ian

I am going respond again this afternoon after I have time to fully read the post, but just wanted to say the initial designs look awesome. I think this design will show best on ceramic chips. Sounds really fun! Both the project and your tradition!

Ok. I did more work on these. Any sugestions? The edges will be aligned.

View attachment 1267825

I love this!

Some questions:
  1. For which games will you use the denominated ceramic chips? You mention Menorah Roulette, Poker Hands, Dreidel, and the Auction. These chips get used for all 4 games? Or do you use, for example, different chips for roulette and then pay out with these denominated chips?
  2. Do you have the rolling edge designed?
  3. How many of each denom do you think you will need?
  4. What size will the chips be?
  5. Do you have a manufacturer selected? If not, I can recommend BR Pro Poker and Tina and happy to talk about my experiences with them. Pros and cons to each.
Some suggestions:
  1. You mentioned aligned edges. Manufacturers normally charge more for that. If you don't really need it, you can save some money
  2. I like the design, but it is a bit busy. Ceramic printing is not as sharp as paper printing or what you see on the screen, so lots of crowded symbols can literally blur a bit together. I recommend that you reduce the number of symbols around the edges.
  3. You can do a different back than front side for no additional cost, usually. So, you could, for example, have the menorah on one side and the star of David on the other if you want to incorporate more symbols.
  4. Have you considered any utility chips? Chips that are not denominated, but used for some other purpose? Given the dynamic environment, seems like that might be useful to help organize or move things along, although I can't think of something specifically. Anyway, that might be a reason to use your second design.
Others may have design suggestions as well.

Upon arrival, adults receive a gift bag containing chocolate gelt, a dreidel, five playing cards, five roulette poker chips, and play money, which we plan to replace with actual chips.
A little closer reading the second time around. I don't want this next part to sound like a guy who is just trying to sell you something...but...

I have a set of beautiful clay ASM roulettes with no use. Lots of colors but too few of any to play poker or roulette. I have a classified ad up right now (see Lot 8). Here is another thread where I tried to crowdsource ideas for how to use them. You will see in that thread there is another PCFer with a companion solid ASM roulette set too who might be willing to part as well if the spotted are not enough. They could function as they are, but the labels come out easy and take stickers well if you wanted to Hanukkah-ize or personalize them. Anyway, I'd give them to you at a very good price just to see them get used for something as fun as this.

1707179711154.png

I love this!

Some questions:
  1. For which games will you use the denominated ceramic chips? You mention Menorah Roulette, Poker Hands, Dreidel, and the Auction. These chips get used for all 4 games? Or do you use, for example, different chips for roulette and then pay out with these denominated chips?
The chips will be used for payouts for Poker Hands and Menorah Roulette, used to bet with during Dreidel and then used again to pay for items at the auction. People usually end up with $200 - $1200 once all payouts are made.

Menorah Roulette will have its own set of chips for the table. The table gets crowded so I try not to use standard sized chips. I found 22mm composites for a good price HERE and put an order in for all 9 colors. I'll then cut some vinyl and add numbers to each set so someone will be 4-blue and another will be 3-blue and so on. But reading your last post makes me wonder.... Let me see of my ordered chips are worthy and if not I'll message you.
  1. Do you have the rolling edge designed?
Not yet. I was thinking about a simple edge with the denomination printed on it as well. Any ideas?
  1. How many of each denom do you think you will need?
Still working that out. I would like to cap it at 750 chips.
  1. What size will the chips be?
39mm
  1. Do you have a manufacturer selected? If not, I can recommend BR Pro Poker and Tina and happy to talk about my experiences with them. Pros and cons to each.
I was planning on working with BR Pro Poker. I already sent them an email with a list of questions before I started my design process.
Some suggestions:
  1. You mentioned aligned edges. Manufacturers normally charge more for that. If you don't really need it, you can save some money
We see this as an investment that should last for many years given that we don't play poker every week. The cost is not a factor.
  1. I like the design, but it is a bit busy. Ceramic printing is not as sharp as paper printing or what you see on the screen, so lots of crowded symbols can literally blur a bit together. I recommend that you reduce the number of symbols around the edges.
I really appreciate the insight on this.
  1. You can do a different back than front side for no additional cost, usually. So, you could, for example, have the menorah on one side and the star of David on the other if you want to incorporate more symbols.
I have mocked this up. I'll probably order proofs of each one (if they will allow it) and then select the style that works best.

Hanukkah Chip 25 flat simpler m.png
Hanukkah Chip 25 flat simpler s.png

1. Have you considered any utility chips? Chips that are not denominated, but used for some other purpose? Given the dynamic environment, seems like that might be useful to help organize or move things along, although I can't think of something specifically. Anyway, that might be a reason to use your second design.
I have not but I'm thinking about how I would use it. I like to create games and considered making the back some sort of symbol that has a set collection aspect to it. An example could be collect 4 hearts and trade that poker chip set in for 2x their face value or something like that. The trick is creating a simple game that is explainable in a few sentences and offers tension between players. I can foresee someone not wanting to break their 25 chip, or bet it if they knew it was going to pay out later in the night. But that might slow other things down. I am open to any suggestions if you have them. Then again, betting them would mean they could potentially get other chips and more sets. Then again I don't want people pouring over all their chips on their turn while other players are waiting for the. I would LOVE to incorporate something about the chips themselves into the evening. This alone is worthy of a who discussion.

I just had another thought...that Menorah roulette board is just begging to have a custom roulette topper made. There is a vendor here, @rjdev7 , who specializes in that. You know, in case you wanted to spend even more money. :LOL: :laugh:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/made-to-order-custom-table-toppers.96993/
Great. Now I have another thing I need to convince the wife of...

Not yet. I was thinking about a simple edge with the denomination printed on it as well. Any ideas?
If it is just the denom, you may not need to align the edges. There is a whole discussion in this thread about whether folks like or don't like rolling edges. If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a photo I put up of Harrah's chips that form an image when stacked and rotated correctly. How bad@*s would it be to have NUN, GIMEL, etc. show if you stacked the chips right while playing dreidel?

I was planning on working with BR Pro Poker. I already sent them an email with a list of questions before I started my design process.
BR Pro is great to work with. I just finished a large order with them. I did three rounds of samples.

I have not but I'm thinking about how I would use it. I like to create games and considered making the back some sort of symbol that has a set collection aspect to it. An example could be collect 4 hearts and trade that poker chip set in for 2x their face value or something like that. The trick is creating a simple game that is explainable in a few sentences and offers tension between players. I can foresee someone not wanting to break their 25 chip, or bet it if they knew it was going to pay out later in the night.
Maybe a social game where you randomly hand out chips that have a symbol or image of something of historical/traditional importance on one side and a short description on the back and folks have to mingle to try to find matches or exchange them? A larger chip would be good for this to give more space for design and to distinguish between the betting chips.

But that might slow other things down. I am open to any suggestions if you have them. Then again, betting them would mean they could potentially get other chips and more sets. Then again I don't want people pouring over all their chips on their turn while other players are waiting for the. I would LOVE to incorporate something about the chips themselves into the evening. This alone is worthy of a who discussion.
Most utility chips I am familiar with are for poker (e.g. all in chips, rabbit hunting, bomb pots). But maybe seating chips if you want to randomize seating at dreidel or dinner? Good news is with BR Pro you can always do another run in the future to add on chips. I'm going to ping @Poker Zombie . I don't know if he knows anything about Poker Hanukkah, but he does seem to know how to incorporate a bunch of fun games into his hosting duties and might have some ideas.

Great. Now I have another thing I need to convince the wife of...
:LOL: :laugh:. I don't own one of these custom toppers (yet) but everyone raves about the quality and value.

Last edited:
If it is just the denom, you may not need to align the edges. There is a whole discussion in this thread about whether folks like or don't like rolling edges. If you scroll to the bottom, you will see a photo I put up of Harrah's chips that form an image when stacked and rotated correctly. How bad@*s would it be to have NUN, GIMEL, etc. show if you stacked the chips right while playing dreidel?
tumblr_mznvoofIRP1ryn2exo1_r3_500.gif

Here are some quick mockups of unique chip designs. The donut is a traditional thing to have on Hanukkah, along with any other unhealthy fried foods my doctor tells me to stay away from. :)

Untitled-9.png

Best part is that it would not cost any more to do it, just a bit more time and thought when doing the rolling edge design.

You better bet your butt I am going to incorporate something like that.

Would you consider a white $1 with a blue spot? It’s different, but you need something bright in that lineup. Something.
I really really want a white chip. But the aesthetics... I'm just not sure if I like it. Any ideas on what to change to make it work?

Untitled-8.png

Would you consider a white $1 with a blue spot? It’s different, but you need something bright in that lineup. Something.
I like the design, but it is a bit busy. Ceramic printing is not as sharp as paper printing or what you see on the screen, so lots of crowded symbols can literally blur a bit together. I recommend that you reduce the number of symbols around the edges.

I took your feedback seriously and this is what I came up with. I need to make some minor alignment adjustments but the set is considerably cleaner and brighter. I'll finalize what chip is what value at a later time. The 4 center images will be available in each denomination where there are enough chips to have them (e.g., $1 will have 50 chips of each image). Any other feedback?

Full Chipset 6.png

I think they look great.

Some suggestions:

• The cent symbol does not look centered on "50". Also, you know your game, but why 50c and not 25c?
  • I would move the $1000 up a bit.
  • When you get prototypes made, you might consider getting some different shades of your colors to compare. For example, yellow tends to feel washed out, purple is hard to get right (can be too red or too blue).

I think they look great.

Some suggestions:

• The cent symbol does not look centered on "50". Also, you know your game, but why 50c and not 25c?
The cent symbol is a good callout. The 50c is there only to split the pot if someone lands on a Hay (ה). It's not actually a betting chip and only 25 will be made.
  • When you get prototypes made, you might consider getting some different shades of your colors to compare. For example, yellow tends to feel washed out, purple is hard to get right (can be too red or too blue).
I requested a first round of the designs above plus a few other concepts on 7 chips total. I will evaluate color and design elements to settle on a final structure proof set. If the color is off on some I will make the adjustment on the second round with color variations. Purple is tough and yellow runs the risk of looking neon or like urine - gross!

This will be a 750 chip set. Still playing with the final denomination spread.

How long does a proof set take to get back? Is it 2-3 weeks like a full set of chips?

The cent symbol is a good callout. The 50c is there only to split the pot if someone lands on a Hay (ה). It's not actually a betting chip and only 25 will be made.

I requested a first round of the designs above plus a few other concepts on 7 chips total. I will evaluate color and design elements to settle on a final structure proof set. If the color is off on some I will make the adjustment on the second round with color variations. Purple is tough and yellow runs the risk of looking neon or like urine - gross!

This will be a 750 chip set. Still playing with the final denomination spread.

How long does a proof set take to get back? Is it 2-3 weeks like a full set of chips?
In my experience the prototypes are much faster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom