Thoughts On Denomination On Rolling Edges (1 Viewer)

Sprinsd

Flush
Reaction score
I need some advice. I am working on a custom ceramic tournament chip set. Do you like the denominations on the rolling edges or not? See below.

IMG_5873.jpeg

Personally, no. I like the idea of it but in stacks it looked messy to me. And I know its just your picture resolution but that looks fuzzy; its never as sharp as I'd like it along the edges. Just my opinion.

To relate: its not the denoms but I've got the EPT set with the EPT on the rolling edges. This set is actually what changed my mind. I love the set, very useful, but its not perfect, especially the white on yellow. Looks best on the black, maybe its just a contrast thing.

20230318_113500.jpg

Not a problem. I can take more pics when home, but I didn't like it as much as I originally thought. Good luck with the design though! I was lazy and went with a premade.

I like the idea as well, but oftentimes it seems like the printing along the sides isn't quite as sharp as one would hope so smaller details don't look as good.

In practice, it rarely ends up looking as good as it does in mockups.
Agreed. I think the typeface for the numbers needs to be very plain and rounded, otherwise the numbers can be obscured during manufacture.
The original may be a bit too condensed, and I see the 5 in 500 is already harder to distinguish than it should. I’d keep the numbers as simple as possible, with plenty of space between each other.

Not a fan. Just in general, I feel less detail is often better than lots of detail. It's going to be difficult to see/read under the best of circumstances & the edge of the doesn't have much room

Not a fan. Just in general, I feel less detail is often better than lots of detail. It's going to be difficult to see/read under the best of circumstances & the edge of the doesn't have much room
In addition to not being a fan aesthetically, it doesn't seem useful to me. If I want to know the vale of a chip it is much easier to glance at it's face. If far enough away you cannot see the face then the denoms on the edge isn't going to help.

I agree with the visibility issue,I think it will tend to look cluttered in real life. In the pics did of these look great, but, we're using HD cameras and taking staged photos. Are we going to organize every chip every hand so that they look like this?? In theory it's a great idea, in reality they often just look like illegible scribbling.

Having said that, you do you. If you want rolling edge denoms, then by all means do rolling edge denoms.

I like it on dealer buttons but not chips.

That said, one time I saw an (eBay I think) listing for some special issues (anniversary I think) ceramics from (Harrah's I think) that when you stacked 20 of them and aligned the spot edges correctly, you got a giant "Harrah's" running up the side.

Maybe someone knows what I am talking about and can post a photo. Maybe it was a fever dream.

Something like that could be cool.

Sounds like good idea on modern looking chips; if will match aesthetic why not. However I can’t imagine side denoms on classic looking chips.

I like it on dealer buttons but not chips.

That said, one time I saw an (eBay I think) listing for some special issues (anniversary I think) ceramics from (Harrah's I think) that when you stacked 20 of them and aligned the spot edges correctly, you got a giant "Harrah's" running up the side.

Maybe someone knows what I am talking about and can post a photo. Maybe it was a fever dream.

Something like that could be cool.

Aha! Found it!

1706306958557.png

In most instances, I consider denominations on the rolling edge to be more of a design element that are there as visual effects, than they are as a means to determine denominations while chips are in play. At my age, I rely primarily on color and then on the denominations on the chip faces.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom