Does the 5wood rail need to be perfect? (1 Viewer)

narv

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am building my 1st table and made a few small mistakes with the jigsaw. The completed rail fits perfect in the playing surface. I have not started the fabric or foam yet (in the mail). From a few feet away the table looks perfect for just being the bones of it. As you get a bit closer you some imperfections.
IMG_5634.jpeg
My question is does the top 5” rail piece need to be flawless in shape or will a few spots where I went outside/inside or where the blade bent be masked and covered up without noticing by the 1” 50lb HD foam. I’m debating on buying another $80.00 board and take another crack at it. Any insight would be great! Thanks in advance!

Nope. The foam will hide a lot of imperfections. Fit is the most important thing I think, make sure you leave enough room to allow for the rail to still drop over layers of felt/foam on the playing surface

Thanks @kmccormick100 . I am hoping you’re right. Just don’t want to burn through some nice vinyl first then wished I had cut another. I am a gambling man after all so we will just have to see! I will update here when get completed next week

The foam will typically fill in the imperfections on the rail, but if you are concerned on some of the bigger flaws, either fill those in with wood filler, or glue a bit of foam in those prior to adding your final foam to the rail.
Good Luck

^^^This. There are many little tricks that you can use to amend a lot of flaws. Once little corrections are made no one will ever know, unless you come back here and tell us.

Depends how bad the imperfections are I'd say - do you have an example?

Foam will probably hide small issues but bigger ones will still show through or will make adding the foam/vinyl more tricky in that you would be trying to adjust the tension in different areas to achieve a completely smooth look.

It's also true that no one else will probably notice anyway but I have reupholstering my rail on my list as there are a few areas that I know aren't quite right with it. It depends on your OCD level how you handle it :D

Probably a little late, but just like the guys say. The foam will hide little imperfections. It would be good to fill them if they are on the larger side, and it really isn't much work to do so.

It's definitely hard as a first timer though as you worry about a lot of things that you'll laugh about later when you realize how much it kept you up at night for no good reason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom