Do you prefer same inlay design on each side of each chip or different for each side of chip? Why? (1 Viewer)

Personally I like chips that have different inlays "that work". And that really is the hard part. Keeping a visual balance is key, imo to making it work. The samurais geniously get around this issue because of its grey tones.
To me, when I see a different inlay on a chip and it works it tells me that some thought went into the "chip". Not just the art on the inlay.

I don't mind different inlays as long as the denomination is dominant on both sides and the color scheme is consistent.

I ended up in the camp of “couldn’t decide, so went with both”! Originally started with a pretty neutral/darker gray background in mind like Bellagio/Aria, but liked these designs way better. I’ll post pics in 3-4 months when I get them!!

That really depends on the level of OCD you have....

Exactly. Symmetry is everything for some of us.

Now if my wife ever learns to place her empty coffee cup on the drain mat in the right spot, with the handle at the right angle, I'll die a happy man.
:confused

I think that depends entirely how the designer of the two sides handles things. If the two sides don’t relate well and cause confusion about denominations, that’s no good.

If both sides are similar to each other—because of their symbolism, color scheme, patterns etc.—but distinct from the other denoms, then I think it is fun to build in some variations for interest and to get more data onto the chip.

Say (living upstate New York) I have a different nature symbol on each denomination—25¢ deer, $1 trees, $5 birds, $25 predators, $100 mushrooms.

I might put a doe one side of the frac, and a buck on the other... An oak leaf on one side of the $1 and a maple leaf on the other... Ducks and wild turkeys on opposite sides of the $5... Wolves on one side of the $25, foxes on the other... And a morel/chanterelle flip for the $100.

Likewise, I might use type on a curve on the round top edge of one side for the name of my “room,” and use the same space on the other side give the location—while keeping the rest of the label/inlay design the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom