Do you keep inlays secret?? (2 Viewers)

Well it certainly isn't on the level of Hard Candy Mafia but i think there is some potential to be special. Honestly i shouldn't have posted it until i put some time into it but oh well. I have some ideas on some things to make it pop but i dont know how to do it myself and i have a completely different ideas for the Font that i haven't found yet. I probably spent 30 minutes throwing that inlay together.
You’re fine. Inlay is obviously rough draft. And your set itself is off to a very clean start. Get with a designer and keep at it. I always keep my stuff to a small group. Not necessarily for fear of rip off, majority of people aren’t going to do something like that. Mainly because too many cooks in the kitchen will ruin a good set in a hurry.

Ultimately you want to eliminate a large amount of outside influences and create what YOU like.

I kept mine a secret until they showed up on chip guide!

M4r4IPj.jpg
Ski and Poles "A"? 8 thought it was a tee pee.

I'm going to go the other way here and say once you get with an artist, they will likely help elevate your vision. Some of my initial sketches are an embarrassment to the word "sketch", but if you can articulate exactly what you want through a combo of mocks and statements, that's a good start.

As a bonus, I shit you not, I sent both of these (along w/ bullet-points detailing preferred font, colors, etc.) to who I was working with. Tons of back and forth and tinkering from there to completion, but I would be laughed off the site if I posted this publicly when I did it in January. So as to your OP, I would just keep it between your artist/whoever you're working with.
Thank you for your reply. I think you know how amazing i think your set turned out. Personally a top 5 for me...easy. Yes, i plan on reaching out to a professional after the 1st of the year. I dont have the time or capability to do what i want. Thanks for sharing some potentially embarrassing details about the beginning of City of Dawn ;-) It illustrstes what is possible when you put all the right pieces together and have the patience to get it right.

I'm going to go the other way here and say once you get with an artist, they will likely help elevate your vision. Some of my initial sketches are an embarrassment to the word "sketch", but if you can articulate exactly what you want through a combo of mocks and statements, that's a good start.

As a bonus, I shit you not, I sent both of these (along w/ bullet-points detailing preferred font, colors, etc.) to who I was working with. Tons of back and forth and tinkering from there to completion, but I would be laughed off the site if I posted this publicly when I did it in January. So as to your OP, I would just keep it between your artist/whoever you're working with.
Top version FTW

You’re fine. Inlay is obviously rough draft. And your set itself is off to a very clean start. Get with a designer and keep at it. I always keep my stuff to a small group. Not necessarily for fear of rip off, majority of people aren’t going to do something like that. Mainly because too many cooks in the kitchen will ruin a good set in a hurry.

Ultimately you want to eliminate a large amount of outside influences and create what YOU like.
Thank you for your response. I know your sets well and they are absolutely some of my favorites. You are a huge inspiration and your taste is very much like my own.

Last edited:
Frankly I don't have any inlay ideas that would be worth stealing, but even if I did I don't think I would hide them. Obviously I'd like a design I made attributed to me, but it would be mostly flattering to see a lot of people use that design. If I make a design it's because it makes me happy and not because I expect to monetize it, so there wouldn't be any greater praise than other people ordering chips with it for themselves.

That being said, you might not want to show your design until it's finished. There's lots of editing and improvement you can do, and I definitely understand wanting to perfect your design before displaying it.

well said. I agree.

When I am building/designing a set. I usually involve a small team of three to four friends. Once I get a few inlays ready to go, I sometimes post them on the forum for feedback.

well said. I agree.

When I am building/designing a set. I usually involve a small team of three to four friends. Once I get a few inlays ready to go, I sometimes post them on the forum for feedback.
I have picked up on that. Obviously after taking a 10 year hiatus from poker chip collecting while my kids were growing up, i haven't had time to form those kind of relationships yet so i plan on reaching out to Johnny5 in January to see what his availability might be. This place is amazing and i am really seeing how giving this community is to each other. Pretty awesome to see. I just wanted to pick peoples brains a bit. Ty

Hmmmm… They can steal the design after you show the chip set, and HOF is decided after the fact, so really nothing stopping them if they want to beat you to the HOF claim (unless you reveal late in the year). If you publish the design first, then folks will know where it came from, if that matters to you. If you’re worried about going to blows during HOF selection, you can always call out the design theft.

Have there been an historical inlay design steals? It feels like custom design “steals” have historically center on colors and spots, not inlays.

If your inlay pulls the Bellagio B, then yeah, someone will steal it. But seriously, either way, Tina will be making copies of your chip before you submit the order to David.

Edit: NVM… posted before I saw you posted. But still, I think you’re fine to post or not post, whichever you prefer.

Hmmmm… They can steal the design after you show the chip set, and HOF is decided after the fact, so really nothing stopping them if they want to beat you to the HOF claim (unless you reveal late in the year). If you publish the design first, then folks will know where it came from, if that matters to you. If you’re worried about going to blows during HOF selection, you can always call out the design theft.

Have there been an historical inlay design steals? It feels like custom design “steals” have historically center on colors and spots, not inlays.

If your inlay pulls the Bellagio B, then yeah, someone will steal it. But seriously, either way, Tina will be making copies of your chip before you submit the order to David.

Edit: NVM… posted before I saw you posted. But still, I think you’re fine to post or not post, whichever you prefer.
Thank you. The original post was just more of a conversation starter about sharing ideas publicly before the set is completed. I wasn't honestly worried about design stealing. It just popped in my head as a possibility.

Ya need space. Ya need symmetry (usually). Here is just some quick mock up to show you what I mean. All of your text is riding edges. When CPC punches inlays, there are boundaries (templates available on their site) you need to avoid crossing. On top of that, it's always good that wording or art can find symmetrical (or relatively symmetrical balance)... for instance, lions don't sleep in dens, wolves do, and even if they did, you'd be saying "we sleep here". When in a group, they're a pride. (L I O N S - P R I D E - each five letters, ease made symmetry). Same with poker club. "Poker House" uses the same 5/5 letters. "Card Club has a nice symmetry as well. Also, don't be afraid of empty space and always remember the most important thing an inlay can do is really the most important info, it's denomination. Here is a quick re-mockup of your design, with their templates overlaid. If you want to know what lines mean what, just check out their site. But as you'll see, it allows them room to cleanly punch your inlay and use shaped inlays if desired.

Lion Den exp 01 Artboard 1.png

Without the overlay
Lion Den exp 01 Artboard 1 (1).png

How this affects the look on an inlay (shaped at that) much more centered, proportioned and clearly visible.
b8a5c231-fc10-499c-b564-8ecb2018fe81.png

Just a few quick thoughts

Suggestions:
Red Denom
Make Denom larger and use a different font.
Ditch the Tri Moon and go with spot progression

Why Elephant and crown? Why not large crown or small crown since a Lion is the king?
Great questions! I haven't played around with Font selection much. I definitly have thoughts but haven't got there yet. After getting mold samples from CPC I really was impressed by that mold...very unexpectedly to be honest. You don't see many people use it and thought it could be amazing if given the right theme/inlay. Thats what started my inspiration for this set. I think its a great match personally. Large Crown and Small Crown are wonderful and i considered using SCrown for awhile. This is going to probably not make sense to some but TRK's are my favorite chip manufacturer and it just feels sacrilegious to use it on CPC chips to me. I know thats probably whack. Now, the Tri-Moon is something that seems loved or hated (mostly hated) however every other chip set i have or plan to make has very tradition spot progressions. Here is a set i started 15 years ago that are being made as we speak. I want something totally different and i see many tournament sets built on the same edge spot pattern so i thought i would give it a shot.
1701902455979.png

Last edited:
Ya need space. Ya need symmetry (usually). Here is just some quick mock up to show you what I mean. All of your text is riding edges. When CPC punches inlays, there are boundaries (templates available on their site) you need to avoid crossing. On top of that, it's always good that wording or art can find symmetrical (or relatively symmetrical balance)... for instance, lions don't sleep in dens, wolves do, and even if they did, you'd be saying "we sleep here". When in a group, they're a pride. (L I O N S - P R I D E - each five letters, ease made symmetry). Same with poker club. "Poker House" uses the same 5/5 letters. "Card Club has a nice symmetry as well. Also, don't be afraid of empty space and always remember the most important thing an inlay can do is really the most important info, it's denomination. Here is a quick re-mockup of your design, with their templates overlaid. If you want to know what lines mean what, just check out their site. But as you'll see, it allows them room to cleanly punch your inlay and use shaped inlays if desired.

View attachment 1235703

Without the overlay
View attachment 1235710

How this affects the look on an inlay (shaped at that) much more centered, proportioned and clearly visible.
View attachment 1235711

Just a few quick thoughts
Thank you so much for the reply. I am aware of the templates/size restrictions and how they are punched. I just haven't gotten far enough in the process to make sure they are in the necessary parameters. I do love your point about symetry with the words. That is a fantastic point that honestly hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks again, i will work with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom