Dinner Plans? (9 Viewers)

Not bad! Need a little more sauce next time

0E512B29-74D7-4674-B80C-7DC4B77FD2BA.jpeg

Attempted to make fried rice, it was meh, plz halp @toothpic @shorticus @Poker Zombie @RocAFella1
Without seeing/tasting it, it's hard to give suggestions, but RocAFella hits one of 3 points I have stumbled across over the years.
  1. Leftover rice. Usually, when getting Chinese or Thai, we get more rice than we need. When I cook rice at home, I know how much rice to make, so there's rarely leftovers from that, but day old from a restaurant comes out great. Alsi, I store it in that paper container it comes in, so that may assist the drying out process. Old rice won't stick and make as much of a mess in the pan, so that's a bonus after dinner.
  2. Soy sauce. I'm not a sodium fiend. I never salt my food in a restaurant, and find many restaurants tend to over salt their food. Those little packets of soy sauce from a chinese restaurant that come with your food? I dont even consider opening them, unless I'm eating sushi (and even then one packet is enough for both of us). With that in mind, use more soy sauce than you think you need when making fried rice. You dont want to saturate the rice, but you do want to darken it.
  3. Add an egg. I don't remember where I saw this "trick", and I don't use recipes, so I don't know if this is standard. One egg is all you need. It adds a depth of flavor that I was always missing, and makes eating it simple. I add it toward the very end of the cook, so as to not burn the egg.
  4. Fish sauce. I don't always use it, and when I do, it's very little - one bottle lasts me... well I haven't finished my first bottle yet. I would try those first 3 suggestions, then later try the fish sauce to see if it is for you. Someday, when my fish sauce runs out, I want to try oyster sauce to see where that lands in the flavor profile.

Thanks guys! Seems like the common consensus is that I need to use left over rice next time!
I did use (reduced sodium) soy sauce (was still too salty for my taste) as well as 3 eggs, chicken, onion and bean sprouts. Lots of pepper, a dash of garlic and very minute amount of Himalayan salt. Also added a bit of teriyaki sauce, and sesame seeds. I mixed in some zuch and brocs with a dash of teriyaki, stir fried. Just seemed a bit bland and too salty (for me)
Next time I'll need to try sesame oil, I saw that was a huge hit in alot of recipes. I also mixed butter and peanut oil (hate using oils so I wanted to reduce the amount I used) I think I'll nix the oil next time.

I use 3 oils when making a stir fry:
  • Light colored (refined) sesame oil, that can handle higher heat.
  • A canola or safflower oil. It helps to raise the smoke-point even higher, so I can get the high heat needed.
  • Darker Sesame Oil. This burns easily, so it gets added at the very end, but it brings a lot of flavor. Like oiling chips, it doesn't take a lot.

Pasta with the "Michael's of Brooklyn" marinara (the BEST jarred marinara I have ever had -- you can see the garlic and basil in the jar! - high quality), hot Italian sausage, fresh finely graded parmigiano reggiano, and garlic bread. Served with an amazing 2015 sangiovese from Toscana Italy. Everything complemented everything, including the Italian music.
Wonderful evening!

20200711_163254.jpg

20200711_173248.jpg

20200711_174035.jpg

Teppanyaki ‘hibachi’

Just saw the conversation about fried rice. Leftover rice works really well, I try to make it a day ahead of time. I’ve used 5 minute rice though and it works too. Finely dice onions and cook clear first, add rice, lots of soy sauce. Fry the eggs and add them in, then a bag of frozen peas / carrots. Sesame oil makes it, and throughout cooking lots of salt pepper garlic powder, and clarified butter!!!
1492E6CE-7AAC-4C99-8BE3-029A289751F3.jpeg

Teppanyaki ‘hibachi’

Just saw the conversation about fried rice. Leftover rice works really well, I try to make it a day ahead of time. I’ve used 5 minute rice though and it works too. Finely dice onions and cook clear first, add rice, lots of soy sauce. Fry the eggs and add them in, then a bag of frozen peas / carrots. Sesame oil makes it, and throughout cooking lots of salt pepper garlic powder, and clarified butter!!!
View attachment 492248
Appreciate the rice tips. If you have that cooking surface in your house that is epic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom