Dinner Plans? (6 Viewers)

The start of my dinner tonight...
0C31C446-0677-4DB3-A62F-BC9DBFA46904.jpeg

I'm going to make En Papillote lemon/curry cubed chicken for dinner tonight. It will be my own recipe (no google). I don't have parchment paper. I'll be using alumin foil. I'm serving sweet potato fries and sauteed spinach with it.

I'm going to make En Papillote lemon/curry cubed chicken for dinner tonight. It will be my own recipe (no google). I don't have parchment paper. I'll be using alumin foil. I'm serving sweet potato fries and sauteed spinach with it.

Buy parchment paper. I thought "we don't need that", when Liz first bought it, now it's a staple. If it goes on a cookie sheet, it is 85% likely to sit on parchment paper. Whoever washes your dishes will thank you.

Buy parchment paper. I thought "we don't need that", when Liz first bought it, now it's a staple. If it goes on a cookie sheet, it is 85% likely to sit on parchment paper. Whoever washes your dishes will thank you.

I meant to buy it today. Since it wasn't on my "list" I forgot it. I'm using aluminum foil in its place.

20181124_110236.jpg
20181124_111034.jpg
20181124_110809.jpg
20181124_111214.jpg

Chicken marinated for the last two days and lemon juice lemon zest and my homemade curry powder

Boudin balls, with a sharp ginger-mustard dipping sauce.
2018-11-30 19.13.09.jpg

It was rounded off with a cheap ($12) bottle of table red wine. It was perhaps the most ingenious food-wine pairing I have ever made, as the tongue could detect otherwise hidden subtleties in the wine.

I LOVE boudin, care to share the recipe?

I don't use recipes. Although science and cooking go hand-in-hand, I view cooking as an art form. As painting is for the eyes, and music is for the ears, cooking is for our sence of taste.

As such, I have only 2 recipe books that I have ever used. The first, Eating IN, The Official Single Man's Cookbook was a gift from my sister when I moved out of the family home. It's Chicken Marsala recipe changed how I would view food for the rest of my life - mostly because it was totally different from the "home cooking" or "family restaurant" food I had for the first 20 years of my life. I still make the Chicken Marsala based off the book, but with so many twists and turns, the author would never know it was his recipe to start.

The second cookbook is the Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. This should be a new cook's requirement, as it has practically everything in it. While the recipes are basic, it lays a foundation for making everything from scratch. Get down certain basics, and you can start making anything. Of course, much can be said for the internet, but Fannie Farmer is without pop-up ads, and every internet recipe has someone else's personal twist on the dish. Save yourself the trouble, and just learn the basic recipe, then flavor it up to your whims.

Sure, I have a shelf with other cookbooks. Rao's, Alton Brown, The Joy of Cooking and many others, but I don't use them. They're good reads though for someone who loves food. I'm just not about to pull out measuring spoons because I read I need 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.

The downside to a life of no recipes is, "Whatever we are having for dinner tonight, enjoy it. It will never happen again."

I don't use recipes. Although science and cooking go hand-in-hand, I view cooking as an art form. As painting is for the eyes, and music is for the ears, cooking is for our sence of taste.

As such, I have only 2 recipe books that I have ever used. The first, Eating IN, The Official Single Man's Cookbook was a gift from my sister when I moved out of the family home. It's Chicken Marsala recipe changed how I would view food for the rest of my life - mostly because it was totally different from the "home cooking" or "family restaurant" food I had for the first 20 years of my life. I still make the Chicken Marsala based off the book, but with so many twists and turns, the author would never know it was his recipe to start.

The second cookbook is the Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. This should be a new cook's requirement, as it has practically everything in it. While the recipes are basic, it lays a foundation for making everything from scratch. Get down certain basics, and you can start making anything. Of course, much can be said for the internet, but Fannie Farmer is without pop-up ads, and every internet recipe has someone else's personal twist on the dish. Save yourself the trouble, and just learn the basic recipe, then flavor it up to your whims.

Sure, I have a shelf with other cookbooks. Rao's, Alton Brown, The Joy of Cooking and many others, but I don't use them. They're good reads though for someone who loves food. I'm just not about to pull out measuring spoons because I read I need 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.

The downside to a life of no recipes is, "Whatever we are having for dinner tonight, enjoy it. It will never happen again."

So you don't know what meat or ingredients you put in the Boudin? I only use recipes as a guide so I don't need exact measurements lol.

The Boudin itself was picked up at a specialty butcher shop. I cut it out of the intestinal casing to make the meatballs, but the sausage itself was pork, rice and spices that I didn't try to identify, because I don't have a meat grinder. Grinding your own meat for two is borderline futile.

The second cookbook is the Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. This should be a new cook's requirement, as it has practically everything in it. While the recipes are basic, it lays a foundation for making everything from scratch. Get down certain basics, and you can start making anything.

Well put!

My wife grew up with Fanny Farmer's; I started cooking when I first got married in 1970, and received Joy of Cooking as a wedding gift. We do have a ton of cookbooks (surprise!), but the only two that get any use these days are Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" and Bernard Clayton's "Complete Book of Breads".

Oh, and I am addicted to anything that Kenji Lopez-Alt puts out for Serious Eats, Internet or otherwise.

Exactly! When in doubt, wing it. Doesn't matter if it's strictly from scratch, or incorporates things out of boxes or cans.

My favorite food show ever was "Ready, Set, Cook", if any of you remember tha t from the early years of Food Channel. Based on an earlier Brit version, "Ready, Steady, Cook". Each episode had two guest professional chefs, and one assistant for each, selected from the studio audience. The assistant was given a fixed amount, $10 or $15, iirc, and sent out to buy ingredients. Whatever they came back with was the basis for their chef in preparing his meal, in a real-time half-hour show.

That's pretty much how I cook. Grab whatever comes to hand from the refrigerator, whatever herbs my wife has brought in from her garden, and make a meal. (I guess I sort of cheat, since I do the grocery shopping too. But I'm old, so I can never remember what I bought... o_O)

This is why I forced @Poker Zombie to kind of be my mentor lol.

Thanks bud.

Lately I've been messing around with en papillote cooking lol...........

Last night was braised lamb shanks, served with just a big salad, and cheeses afterward. Damn, they were good! Simple recipe of the day:

In a pot large enough to hold the shanks in a single layer, add oil and brown two to six seasoned lamb (or pork) shanks. Remover the shanks, and brown a bunch of coarsely chopped aromatics (carrot, celery, onion -- whatever). Return the shanks to the pot. Add one bottle of red wine, plus, if needed, enough chicken broth to mostly cover the shanks. Simmer slowly for two hours.

Remove the shanks and place in a 225 degree oven. Using a stick blender, puree the aromatics in the braising liquid. Raise the heat to medium-high, and reduce the liquid to the desired consistency, typically 30 minutes. Correct the seasoning and serve.

---------------------

No shanks? Any inexpensive red meat cut, like shoulder, will do.

Caught without aromatics handy? Use a can of vegetable, or beef and vegetable, soup.

Caught without a bottle of inexpensive red wine? You're on your own, you fool! :eek:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom