Dinner Plans? (10 Viewers)

still working on improving my burger skills. I’ve challenged a friend to a cook off next week, so I’m doing a test run. Maple bacon cheese burgers.

26CD59EB-5FEC-4078-B03E-A04E3EE49A81.jpeg

88D1F851-4093-4957-B313-93DB999BB866.jpeg

4E083299-18E5-4919-BB0B-34547C2B5CA7.jpeg

75B256BE-7201-4B74-B9DE-79B00EE7DB56.jpeg

still working on improving my burger skills. I’ve challenged a friend to a cook off next week, so I’m doing a test run. Maple bacon cheese burgers.

View attachment 214059
View attachment 214060
View attachment 214061
View attachment 214063
Pro tip: Par-cook the bacon. Then chop it small and mix it with the burger meat. Season and cook it as normal. I stole it from Chef Kerry Simon (RIP)

I'm making this afternoon for a lunch/gaming party. I'll post pics tomorrow if I remember.

I'm picking up ingredients right now. Tomorrow I'm going to make Jamaican chicken breast with a banana curry sauce. Wish me luck trying something new. Oh and I made my own Curry seasoning powder

KGB burgers (Kerry's Gourmet Burgers)

Par-cook the bacon. This renders some fat out and gets the bacon to the point so it's not chewy or slimy when it's cooked in the patty. This pic shows "done". Note the little scissor snips in the bacon fat. This keeps the bacon from curling up so it gets even heat. You can use a bacon press, but it's going to get cut up anyway, and I don't like bacon presses.
1541347435761.png

Let the bacon cool. You can cut it while it's hot, but why would you hate your fingers so much? Chop the bacon up. You can go smaller, but I had guests in and they needed to use the kitchen as well (luncheon party), so I left them a little more chunky than I usually would.
1541347868115.png

Next, taste the bacon. This is the only way of knowing how much salt and pepper to season your burger with. Bacon can be really salty. This bacon was also peppered bacon, so this step should not be skipped.
1541348123456.png

Cooking is a tough job.

Add the bacon to the meat. Here's the Bacon to beef ratio:
1541348214844.png

We used 90% lean angus. Angus probably isn't necessary, but Angus was on sale, so it was cheaper than "regular" beef. We call regular beef Malcolm beef, so it can feel like it's cool too. If you get the joke, you are both old and cool.

I made them into sliders, but didn't take photos of the mixing or rolling them flat. Raw meat and phones is an unsavory combo. I usually do full size KGB burgers at the firehouse, but for a lunch party, smaller is better. The first wave got hit pretty hard...
1541349387997.png

I'd put these in the top 5 list of best burgers ever.

Par-cook the bacon. This renders some fat out and gets the bacon to the point so it's not chewy or slimy when it's cooked in the patty. This pic shows "done". Note the little scissor snips in the bacon fat. This keeps the bacon from curling up so it gets even heat. You can use a bacon press, but it's going to get cut up anyway, and I don't like bacon presses.
View attachment 214461

Let the bacon cool. You can cut it while it's hot, but why would you hate your fingers so much? Chop the bacon up. You can go smaller, but I had guests in and they needed to use the kitchen as well (luncheon party), so I left them a little more chunky than I usually would.
View attachment 214464

Next, taste the bacon. This is the only way of knowing how much salt and pepper to season your burger with. Bacon can be really salty. This bacon was also peppered bacon, so this step should not be skipped.
View attachment 214469
Cooking is a tough job.

View attachment 214470
We used 90% lean angus. Angus probably isn't necessary, but Angus was on sale, so it was cheaper than "regular" beef. We call regular beef Malcolm beef, so it can feel like it's cool too. If you get the joke, you are both old and cool.

I made them into sliders, but didn't take photos of the mixing or rolling them flat. Raw meat and phones is an unsavory combo. I usually do full size KGB burgers at the firehouse, but for a lunch party, smaller is better. The first wave got hit pretty hard...
View attachment 214476

In

View attachment 214461

View attachment 214464

View attachment 214469
Cooking is a tough job.

View attachment 214470

View attachment 214476

Those look AWESOME. I am a huge fan of mixing 2/3 ground beef with 1/3 ground pork when making burgers. You have to cook them through (no medium rare) but the level of juicy ness is incredible.

Those look AWESOME. I am a huge fan of mixing 2/3 ground beef with 1/3 ground pork when making burgers. You have to cook them through (no medium rare) but the level of juicy ness is incredible.

I've done sausage before, but went back to the bacon. The ease of par-cooking the bacon allows cooking the beef "properly" (I usually cook burgers medium, because ground beef carries higher risk of playing gastrointestinal roulette.

I've done sausage before, but went back to the bacon. The ease of par-cooking the bacon allows cooking the beef "properly" (I usually cook burgers medium, because ground beef carries higher risk of playing gastrointestinal roulette.

Gastrointestinal roulette is my fourth favorite kind of routtle.

Just had a leftover pasta and chicken dish tonight so I had time to make 2 salads and kimchi deviled eggs.
My 12 year old son is enjoying taking food pic s.

Wedge Salad,
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

Fuji Apple Salad (David Chang)

Attachments

• IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 56

Well, you can par-cook ground pork as well. And I always grind my own, beef, pork, whatever -- never buy ground anything, for just that reason. An inexpensive grinder from pleasanthillgrain.com (I use the Maverick, ~$80) or cabela's is an excellent investment in your health.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom