Dinner Plans? (12 Viewers)

Colleen knew I wasn't feeling well. She came home from work and made one of my favorite meals. Chicken noodle soup.

PXL_20231016_220816034.jpg

Kind of jealous of people that like food. I wish I did, but there isn't much out there that excites me in the food world.
(Its partially because I am picky, partially due to a reflex, and partially due to external factors).

Some of this looks good, but I'd never want to eat it.

Weird, right ?!?!?

Kind of jealous of people that like food. I wish I did, but there isn't much out there that excites me in the food world.
(Its partially because I am picky, partially due to a reflex, and partially due to external factors).

Weird, right ?!?!?
Yep, weird.

That said, I eat all food except chitlins. If you've ever eaten chitlins (or smelled them cooking), you would know why. I have eaten them though, despite the smell. A giant plateful, eaten to the last bit, just to give it a fair shake. :sick:

If there is a food commonly eaten that I don't like, I keep trying it. We call it my "blue cheese thing". Every time I went to a salad bar I would try the blue cheese dressing. It was always gross, and I would just go back and get another plate with a different dressing. Then one day I had good blue cheese. It was magnificent. Blue cheese is now one of those staples we keep on hand at all times. I would never have experienced the love of a good quality blue cheese if I shut my mind to it because I didn't like it the first 20 or 30 times I tried it.

All food is good. If you don't like it, it's either because you are prejudiced, or it wasn't done right.

Weird, right ?!?!?
Yup for me that's odd, but I'm also the type of person who is thinking about what to eat for their next meal while eating a meal too..

That said, I eat all food except chitlins. If you've ever eaten chitlins (or smelled them cooking), you would know why. I have eaten them though, despite the smell. A giant plateful, eaten to the last bit, just to give it a fair shake. :sick:
Small intestines done improperly will be absolutely horrid. Done well (must be thoroughly cleaned) they are amazing. There's a restaurant here that makes them and sautees them with ginger, leeks with chili peppers. Freaking amazing.

Yup for me that's odd, but I'm also the type of person who is thinking about what to eat for their next meal while eating a meal too..

Small intestines done improperly will be absolutely horrid. Done well (must be thoroughly cleaned) they are amazing. There's a restaurant here that makes them and sautees them with ginger, leeks with chili peppers. Freaking amazing.
Damn it. Now if I'm ever in Austin, I have to eat chitlins again. :confused

I don't understand what a "dry brine" is. Brine is salty water. You're salting and dry aging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine

Looks amazing however. :tup:
Traditional brining is soaking meat in a salty water.

However, salt draws water out of the meat, so why add water? Hence the term "dry brine". The salt pulls out water, mingles with the H20 and then through osmosis draws back into the meat. It is basically the same process as a brine, but since no extra water is added, all the salt goes to the meat. It also does not draw in any extra water, which a traditional brine would do, so the meat has a more intense flavor. Finally, (and this one is important to me) It uses up less space in the fridge.

Traditional brining is soaking meat in a salty water.

However, salt draws water out of the meat, so why add water? Hence the term "dry brine". The salt pulls out water, mingles with the H20 and then through osmosis draws back into the meat. It is basically the same process as a brine, but since no extra water is added, all the salt goes to the meat. It also does not draw in any extra water, which a traditional brine would do, so the meat has a more intense flavor. Finally, (and this one is important to me) It uses up less space in the fridge.
I understand what the process does. The term is B.S. They even admit it in the article.

"Dry-brining is a catchy term for a very simple process of salting and resting food before cooking it."

Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't translate well in text form in a forum, and I'm a sarcastic SOB by nature. :oops:

(This is just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I love cooking and actually very nearly went to cooking school as a career choice two decades ago, but a lot of the fancy catch phrases that are cropping up in TV shows, magazines and online articles drive me nuts. If you would have asked Julia Child what a dry brine was, she'd look at you like you were from another planet. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: )

I thought you might have meant it from a semantics point, but faulted on the side of process.

In that case, "dry-brine" is just a newish term to differentiate from the brine that most people think of when you just say "brine". It is a different process, thus earns the right to have a different term. However, "salting and dry aging" is also inaccurate. It will not sit long enough to age, especially since the salt prevents the aging process.

If you would have asked Julia Child what a dry brine was, she'd look at you like you were from another planet
If I had done that, Julia would have started dry-brining, and nobody would even dream of water-soaking their dinner today. Then we could simply call it a brining process.

I understand what the process does. The term is B.S. They even admit it in the article.

"Dry-brining is a catchy term for a very simple process of salting and resting food before cooking it."

Unfortunately sarcasm doesn't translate well in text form in a forum, and I'm a sarcastic SOB by nature. :oops:

(This is just a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I love cooking and actually very nearly went to cooking school as a career choice two decades ago, but a lot of the fancy catch phrases that are cropping up in TV shows, magazines and online articles drive me nuts. If you would have asked Julia Child what a dry brine was, she'd look at you like you were from another planet. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: )

dare i ask your take on "air frying" :wtf:

Meat sweats are a real thing.

Be warned.

Also, skip the "salad" bar

Oh?!

My brother-in-law (who's going to be part of our group Saturday) explains that the salad bar is huge, is a lot more than salad, and can be a meal in itself.

Oh, it does, and the food on it is fantastic. It just gets in the way of the meat.
This is the biggest reason I have not yet hit a Brazilian steakhouse. My wallet would think "just eat meat for maximum value" and my mouth would want a variety of greens and starches for a balanced meal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom