Custom Set - 3 denoms + 1 non-denom chip *Question (1 Viewer)

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
I'm planning on creating a custom 300 chip set for a friends birthday. I want this set to be flexible so he can use it for many different types of games. I was thinking of including a $1 chip, $5 chip, $25 chip plus one chip that does not have a value on it. The non-denom chip can be a quarter for a .25/.50 game, or it could be a $100 value for a $1/$2 game or higher. It could even be a nickel or dime for super low stakes and the 25 chip could act as a quarter if I don't put a currency on it.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone done this before and what was your experience? Is this a good idea or should I just spend the extra money on more chips all with denominations?

2) If I do this, what do you think the quantities of each chip should be to best accommodate a range of different stake games

Thanks!

I think this has been tried, with varying levels of success (and failure) by many people before. I don't think we could give an opinion until we know details like how many players for what type of stakes, how many rebus are typical, and what total bank needs are.

Also need some budget guidelines to see what's possible. There is a big cost difference between customized China Clays, ceramics, hybrids, and CPC clay.

I think this has been tried, with varying levels of success (and failure) by many people before. I don't think we could give an opinion until we know details like how many players for what type of stakes, how many rebus are typical, and what total bank needs are.

Also need some budget guidelines to see what's possible. There is a big cost difference between customized China Clays, ceramics, hybrids, and CPC clay.

Usually 5-7 players cash game. We play either .25/50 with a $50 buy in or 1/2 with a $200 buy in. Usually there are 3-5 rebuys.

I'm going to go with custom ceramics from ABC. I'm looking to spend in the $400 range.

I'm thinking of going with 100 of the $1 chip, 75 of the $5 chip, 50 of the $25 chip and 75 of the blank chip. With this set even if he had to stretch it thin with 9 players he could do:

.25/.50 cash game with $50 buy in

.25 - 8 chips
1 - 8 chips
5 - 8 chips
25 used for rebuys

1 / 2 cash game with $200 buy in

1 - 10 chips
5 - 8 chips
25 - 6 chips
100 - used for rebuys

* with this one player would have to get 2 of the 25 chips and 1 of the 100 chips

It’s what I’m doing with all my future cash sets. A non denom frac that can be used as many different values.

Also, I wouldn’t consider a 300 chip set anywhere close to “flexible”

I agree that 300 is not very flexible. If I were buying for myself I would just buy a ton of chips. But because this is a gift, a sort of starter set, and I'm not looking to break the bank I'm trying to find a way to make it work with 300. Plus he can always expand the set.

I wouldn’t mind having a non-denom chip as a frac, but a chip that could be a nickel one week, then $100 the next? So someone pockets 2 nickels, and turns a $199.90 profit. That could buy quite a few $100 chips.

If it’s really a game among friends or family, I might not be too concerned about it, but one friend-of-friend with bad intentions could make things tough on your buddy.

You could also skip the $100 chip and let $100 bills play.

Last edited:
Don't let ND chips sub for such a huge value difference ($0.25 and $100). Get different chips. For ceramics the cost differential should be very small. Will do some calcs for the rest.

Okay, how about this?

0.25/0.50 game uses 12/12/7 start stack and rebuys with 10x $5

1/2 game uses 20/11/5 start stack and rebuys with 2x $1100

I get: (assuming you must buy in 25s)
100 x $0.2
150 x $1
125 x $5
50 x $25
25 x $100
For 450 chips, bank $4550. As your game grows, add 25 each more $5 and $100 for 500 chips total.

Okay, how about this?

0.25/0.50 game uses 12/12/7 start stack and rebuys with 10x $5

1/2 game uses 20/11/5 start stack and rebuys with 2x $1100

I get: (assuming you must buy in 25s)
100 x $0.2
150 x $1
125 x $5
50 x $25
25 x $100
For 450 chips, bank $4550. As your game grows, add 25 each more $5 and $100 for 500 chips total.

thanks for this! I think I'm going to recruit a couple of friends to go in on the gift with me to spread the cost, I'll probably go with a 500 set now.

Now I just need to get someone to create the design.

Thanks again!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom