Edge Spot Progression Question (1 Viewer)

ChippinUp

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
In the tail end of my mixed RHC build and struggling with edge spot progression throughout the set.

I’ve been trying to make sure each chip has its own edge spot design but I am now down to the frac and I found a chip that works based on colour but the edge spot is the same as my $1hsi. The Hsi is white with the purple spots and the .25 chip is a light blue with the same edge spot design but in different colours(green and yellow(mustard). All chips are being relabelled.

Should I hold out on the fracs and search for something with a different edge spot?

Spot progression is something we as chippers made up. For that reason I say go with whatever makes you happy. They're your chips for your game.

Someone posted in the last few days fracs that were blue w/ 418 white spots and $1s that were white w/ 418 blue spots and those worked just fine.

As was said above, spot progression only matters if it matters to you.

But if you want opinions, then throw up pics of what you have and what you are looking at. You'll get our thoughts, and you might get someone to offer you something that you would like better.

My thoughts on spot progression.
Chesterfield HW.jpg
HardWell Originals Chips.jpg
Newcastle HW.jpg

Some of my sets have progression. Some do not.

Progression
IMG_2439.jpeg

No progression (but I’m actually going to rerelabel them and make the frac the $1, and the $5 the frac, and the $20 then $5, and the $1 the $20 so it will have progression after that. Lol

IMG_0989.jpeg

Without seeing the actual chips, it’s hard to say. It may not be such a progression fail in that a white chip with dark spots can look very different from a medium-or dark-based chip with the same pattern, but spots which blend more with the base color.

Could you post the chips in question?

Some of my sets have progression. Some do not.

ProgressionView attachment 1273714

No progression (but I’m actually going to rerelabel them and make the frac the $1, and the $5 the frac, and the $20 then $5, and the $1 the $20 so it will have progression after that. Lol

View attachment 1273715
This Sonshine set (love the inlay, btw) is a great example of why I rant that spot progression is fiction. I don’t think the white $100 is a step up from the red $20. It’s totally debatable though, and I could definitely see the argument, but that’s kind of my point - if progression can be so subjective, why do we bother discussing it, or even saying it exists? And I don’t mean to poop on the set at all. I mean to poop on spot progression entirely!!!

^^^ I prefer the term “spot variation” to “spot progression” for this exact reason.

Whether one spot represents progress over another is too vague. Is it the width of the spots? The number of colors? The complexity? The sheer number of spots? Dark on light vs light on dark vs medium on medium?

Too many factors. Too subjective.

The value of spot *variation* is to be able to distinguish each chip type from the others, whether in a stack or a splash pot, and regardless of whether the player is colorblind.

This Sonshine set (love the inlay, btw) is a great example of why I rant that spot progression is fiction. I don’t think the white $100 is a step up from the red $20. It’s totally debatable though, and I could definitely see the argument, but that’s kind of my point - if progression can be so subjective, why do we bother discussing it, or even saying it exists? And I don’t mean to poop on the set at all. I mean to poop on spot progression entirely!!!

I feel the same about that chip but I couldn’t find an alternative. I have one now so does this continue the progression?

IMG_4136.jpeg

Edge spot flow is much more important than progression or variation. It's also pretty subjective and nearly undefineable. You typically know it when you see it, though.

I feel the same about that chip but I couldn’t find an alternative. I have one now so does this continue the progression?

View attachment 1273736
Forget progression, bigger is always better!
Good question though - each chip has 4 instances of 3 differently colored 1/8” spots. They’re similar. I guess I’d give the edge to the “claw” pattern because of the spaces in between the spots? I dunno. It’s up to you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom