Best way to see CPC color choices (2 Viewers)

Timmah

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m trying to pick the colors for my CPC chips. I just received the 38 sample colors from CPC and realize that the colors on the design tool, and the live colors, don’t necessarily match well. The shades are different. Because of this, I’m having to tweak some of my colors (which I have spend hours and hours choosing and changing).

In the designer, you see the total chip. In real life, you have to imagine the edge spots and colors. Is there an easy way to see the colors layered? I find myself putting the chip color on top letting the edge spot colors peek out ever so slightly. However, I just cancel to envision the color combos. I would be devastated to sped the money only to be disappointed.

Any help is appreciated.

So I’m trying to pick the colors for my CPC chips. I just received the 38 sample colors from CPC and realize that the colors on the design tool, and the live colors, don’t necessarily match well. The shades are different. Because of this, I’m having to tweak some of my colors (which I have spend hours and hours choosing and changing).

In the designer, you see the total chip. In real life, you have to imagine the edge spots and colors. Is there an easy way to see the colors layered? I find myself putting the chip color on top letting the edge spot colors peek out ever so slightly. However, I just cancel to envision the color combos. I would be devastated to sped the money only to be disappointed.

Any help is appreciated.
This resource could help. Try printing your chips with the CMYK colors, should be close to reality and can compare to samples in hand as well

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cpc-colour-code-matching-list.52094/

Stacking the color samples like you are describing is what I have done. Base color on top with the spots peeking out underneath, usually in the rough proportions of the spot sizes.

I also look at the stack of the colors from the side, proportions be damned. I'll switch the order there a bit to see how well one color plays with the others I'm considering.

Do this exercise in the lighting you expect the chips to be in play. Best if you are doing this on the table you will use in the space you use it in. I usually have my laptop with the designer nearby so I can "test drive" ideas there and check against reality with the samples, and even vice-versa some times too. With a little playing around, you'll get the essence of what a color looks like in reality and can make 90% of it work in your mind with the designer, with the samples as the reality check.

Translating colors on screen to a real chip is tough and will never be ideal. On screen, it's a backlit light source and no matter how close the colors are in the designer, the way that light is produced and fed to your eye is so different than reflected light off a chip, it's surprising how different things really do look when comparing the two. It's a good thing you heeded the suggestion to get the color samples. It will pay for itself very quickly.

Yet another reason why customs really should take time. I have 23 versions (each with small variants on top of that number) for my Devil's Nest set. The earliest was April of 2019 with the "final" one done on November 23, 2020. This only counts spots and colors and not the inlay, though that was a work in progress in parallel with the colors.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom