CPC Colour Code/Matching List (1 Viewer)

timinater

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
For my 800th (ish) post I wanted to give a little back, so thought I'd share some of my talents and tools to create a bit of a reference for anyone designing custom CPC chips.

I'll put this next part in bold so it does not get missed...

This is only a reference. This is not a substitute for manually matching colours through print samples, trial and error and more trial and error. This is close, but not exact. The variables in printing materials, colour mixing and as I understand mold choice can all create variation. This is an estimate.

You will be mostly fine matching a font or design element to the base colour. Even if you are a little off the white in between will be enough to trick the eye. That said, the simple fact is even if you know EXACTLY what colour you need, sometimes the CMYK gamut cannot reproduce it exactly. I could go on and on about it, but basically to get 90% of the way there isn't that hard, to get to 100% is where you really spend your time.

These samples I used for this were delivered in January of 2020, on the A-Mold, and scanned with my Nix Colour Sensor. A PDF Reference is also attached. You can convert to RGB or other colour tools here for on screen viewing. https://www.nixsensor.com/free-color-converter/

With those disclaimers out of the way:

ColourCMYK
Black CMYK: 69%, 64%, 61%, 56%
Blue CMYK: 83%, 65%, 32%, 14%
Blurple CMYK: 84%, 79%, 33%, 20%
Bright whiteCMYK: 6%, 9%, 15%, 0%
ButterscotchCMYK: 23%, 59%, 98%, 8%
Canary CMYK: 17%, 31%, 79%, 0%
Charcoal CMYK: 65%, 56%, 55%, 31%
Chocolate CMYK: 42%, 70%, 70%, 41%
Dark blue CMYK: 81%, 71%, 46%, 38%
Dark green CMYK: 77%, 50%, 72%, 51%
Dayglo arc yellowCMYK: 0%, 47%, 76%, 0%
Dayglo green CMYK: 59%, 5%, 73%, 0%
Dayglo orange CMYK: 26%, 84%, 83%, 20%
Dayglo peachCMYK: 0%, 61%, 66%, 0%
Dayglo peacock CMYK: 88%, 44%, 12%, 0%
Dayglo pink CMYK: 0%, 79%, 14%, 0%
Dayglo Saturn CMYK: 36%, 29%, 100%, 3%
Dayglo tiger CMYK: 0%, 78%, 62%, 0%
Dayglo yellow CMYK: 20%, 8%, 73%, 0%
GreenCMYK: 88%, 33%, 67%, 18%
Grey CMYK: 45%, 28%, 40%, 1%
Imperial blue CMYK: 88%, 47%, 37%, 10%
LavenderCMYK: 58%, 65%, 31%, 9%
Light blue CMYK: 64%, 29%, 32%, 1%
Light ChocolateCMYK: 37%, 62%, 75%, 26%
Light greenCMYK: 69%, 14%, 60%, 1%
Mandarin red CMYK: 24%, 92%, 72%, 14%
Maroon CMYK: 53%, 71%, 63%, 54%
Orange CMYK: 21%, 80%, 88%, 11%
Pink CMYK: 24%, 77%, 40%, 3%
PurpleCMYK: 72%, 68%, 31%, 12%
Red CMYK: 30%, 88%, 63%, 21%
Retro blue CMYK: 89%, 81%, 38%, 30%
Retro green CMYK: 91%, 42%, 68%, 34%
Retro lavender CMYK: 39%, 74%, 29%, 3%
Retro red CMYK: 26%, 92%, 58%, 12%
White CMYK: 14%, 15%, 22%, 0%
Yellow CMYK: 25%, 42%, 100%, 4%

Attachments

• CPC RGB Colour Match.pdf
    90.1 KB · Views: 618
This is great, thanks for putting this together! Of course nothing beats real samples in hand, but maybe this helps most when designing inlays and trying to match colors?

This is great, thanks for putting this together! Of course nothing beats real samples in hand, but maybe this helps most when designing inlays and trying to match colors?
That's right. This information will work best when trying to match inlay elements to the base or edge colours.

I wouldn't order CPC chips without ordering a colour sample set. I was surprised at how some colours looked in the lighting at my poker table and made some changes to my set design as a result.

Awesome, thanks! I manually started a list of eyeball matching PMS colors a couple years ago before ordering my chips, don’t remember what I did with it haha

Awesome, thanks! I manually started a list of eyeball matching PMS colors a couple years ago before ordering my chips, don’t remember what I did with it haha
I do have notes on PMS colours that match too - but it's not complete and not all of the colours match 100%. So I kind of scrapped that.

For my 800th (ish) post I wanted to give a little back, so thought I'd share some of my talents and tools to create a bit of a reference for anyone designing custom CPC chips.

I'll put this next part in bold so it does not get missed...

This is only a reference. This is not a substitute for manually matching colours through print samples, trial and error and more trial and error. This is close, but not exact. The variables in printing materials, colour mixing and as I understand mold choice can all create variation. This is an estimate.

You will be mostly fine matching a font or design element to the base colour. Even if you are a little off the white in between will be enough to trick the eye. That said, the simple fact is even if you know EXACTLY what colour you need, sometimes the CMYK gamut cannot reproduce it exactly. I could go on and on about it, but basically to get 90% of the way there isn't that hard, to get to 100% is where you really spend your time.

These samples I used for this were delivered in January of 2020, on the A-Mold, and scanned with my Nix Colour Sensor. A PDF Reference is also attached. You can convert to RGB or other colour tools here for on screen viewing. https://www.nixsensor.com/free-color-converter/

With those disclaimers out of the way:

ColourCMYK
BlackCMYK: 69%, 64%, 61%, 56%
BlueCMYK: 83%, 65%, 32%, 14%
BlurpleCMYK: 84%, 79%, 33%, 20%
Bright whiteCMYK: 6%, 9%, 15%, 0%
ButterscotchCMYK: 23%, 59%, 98%, 8%
CanaryCMYK: 17%, 31%, 79%, 0%
CharcoalCMYK: 65%, 56%, 55%, 31%
ChocolateCMYK: 42%, 70%, 70%, 41%
Dark blueCMYK: 81%, 71%, 46%, 38%
Dark greenCMYK: 77%, 50%, 72%, 51%
Dayglo arc yellowCMYK: 0%, 47%, 76%, 0%
Dayglo greenCMYK: 59%, 5%, 73%, 0%
Dayglo orangeCMYK: 26%, 84%, 83%, 20%
Dayglo peachCMYK: 0%, 61%, 66%, 0%
Dayglo peacockCMYK: 88%, 44%, 12%, 0%
Dayglo pinkCMYK: 0%, 79%, 14%, 0%
Dayglo SaturnCMYK: 36%, 29%, 100%, 3%
Dayglo tigerCMYK: 0%, 78%, 62%, 0%
Dayglo yellowCMYK: 20%, 8%, 73%, 0%
GreenCMYK: 88%, 33%, 67%, 18%
GreyCMYK: 45%, 28%, 40%, 1%
Imperial blueCMYK: 88%, 47%, 37%, 10%
LavenderCMYK: 58%, 65%, 31%, 9%
Light blueCMYK: 64%, 29%, 32%, 1%
Light ChocolateCMYK: 37%, 62%, 75%, 26%
Light greenCMYK: 69%, 14%, 60%, 1%
Mandarin redCMYK: 24%, 92%, 72%, 14%
MaroonCMYK: 53%, 71%, 63%, 54%
OrangeCMYK: 21%, 80%, 88%, 11%
PinkCMYK: 24%, 77%, 40%, 3%
PurpleCMYK: 72%, 68%, 31%, 12%
RedCMYK: 30%, 88%, 63%, 21%
Retro blueCMYK: 89%, 81%, 38%, 30%
Retro greenCMYK: 91%, 42%, 68%, 34%
Retro lavenderCMYK: 39%, 74%, 29%, 3%
Retro redCMYK: 26%, 92%, 58%, 12%
WhiteCMYK: 14%, 15%, 22%, 0%
YellowCMYK: 25%, 42%, 100%, 4%
This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you!

Thank you so much for doing this!

I've been working on a CPC design where I might do some color matching so I went ahead and loaded the CPC colors to a Gimp palette and then exported the HTML colors.

Attaching here for anyone who may need them in the future.

*NOTE* the gimp palette should be renamed with a .gpl extension after downloading. The forums wouldn't let me attach the file with that extension.

Attachments

• CPC HTML palette.txt
    303 bytes · Views: 185
  • CPC-Gimp-palette.txt
    894 bytes · Views: 140
Thank you so much for doing this!

I've been working on a CPC design where I might do some color matching so I went ahead and loaded the CPC colors to a Gimp palette and then exported the HTML colors.

Attaching here for anyone who may need them in the future.

*NOTE* the gimp palette should be renamed with a .gpl extension after downloading. The forums wouldn't let me attach the file with that extension.
You should be OK since those colours came from the CMYK values, but always be sure to output in CMYK, not RGB.

This is not a substitute for manually matching colours through print samples, trial and error and more trial and error.
Thanks so much for this resource, @timinater. How would you go about this trial and error process? I’m finalizing come color-matched inlays for a CPC set that I’ve ordered (see here). I have a full set of color samples of the chips themselves, but I don’t know how to replicate what the inlays will look like when printed on CPC’s printers (especially for the dayglo colors, which I understand from David have to be printed on special printers to really see that color). When I contacted CPC, David said that the best I could do would be to sample the colors from the chip designer website and then lighten them up a bit, so that is what my designer did. I can have him double check his work against your values now that I have them, but any other tips on matching these up would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

David said that the best I could do would be to sample the colors from the chip designer website and then lighten them up a bit, so that is what my designer did. I can have him double check his work against your values now that I have them, but any other tips on matching these up would be appreciated.
Really? The colors in the chip designer don't look anything like the colors in reality...

In your case, the color matching does not go directly against the matched color on the base, but rather the spots, so I'd say even an approximate match (which is all you can do with dayglo colors) will have a good effect. But I wouldn't use the colors from chip designer anyway (also, they're RGB and not CMYK, so again an extra layer of approximation).

Last edited:
How would you go about this trial and error process?
Time and expense. You'd need to talk David into printing you test prints, shipping them to you and matching them on your end. Even then, I don't know how accurate you'd be. I've also never heard of anyone going to those lengths with CPC. My guess is its just too labour intensive on their end.

I've seen anecdotally that people have had good results with these values, but again, there are a lot of variables at play. In your case because you're not matching the base colour, if you're close enough on the colour your eyes will do the rest of the colour matching. I would still temper my expectations down from achieving a 100% match.

I started with your values and did test prints at home. Tinkered til it was as close as I could get it to a new color sample. Happy with my results. Thank you for doing the legwork and sharing, Tim.

a1RwQpt.jpg

Also, test prints require a calibrated printer (which, at home, is not something most people do). If not, one may do more harm than gain.

Thanks, everyone. I don’t have a particularly good printer at home, especially when it comes to color printing (and certainly have not done any specific calibration of it), but I could do some test printing at FedEx. It sounds like even that may not be particularly helpful since a lot of my inlays are Dayglo colors that will look different with CPC’s printers than with a FedEx printer. But I guess if I start with the values in the original post and do a quick test print at FedEx, I should be close enough (and, short of David doing a bunch of test printing for me, probably not much I can do to get any closer), especially given that I am matching spot colors and not body colors.

My photos are not nearly as fancy as the others in this thread, but I wanted to post my results as a data point for anyone using Tim's work to color match their own set (see my post here). I color matched Retro Lavender, Lavender, DG Green, DG Peacock, DG Pink, and DG Arc Yellow; I've listed them in order of difficulty to match (the two lavender colors and the DG Green were great using Tim's values, we tinkered a bit with the DG Peacock and DG Pink, and we tinkered a lot with the DG Arc Yellow before settling on something that felt close enough). Thanks again for all the legwork, @timinater!

Has anyone successfully color matched imperial blue? Of the colors I am currently using, that is the only one that looks off in my test prints at home. My home printer isnt anything special, so not sure if its just the printer or the color being a little off. The other ones look pretty pretty good, so not sure if I should try to tweak or not. It looks too blue to me, and needs a little more green in it.

Has anyone successfully color matched imperial blue? Of the colors I am currently using, that is the only one that looks off in my test prints at home. My home printer isnt anything special, so not sure if its just the printer or the color being a little off. The other ones look pretty pretty good, so not sure if I should try to tweak or not. It looks too blue to me, and needs a little more green in it.
If you send me a PM later this week I can check what I used. Came out pretty decent

Uj18q7O.jpeg

Some examples from @Fran and their B-Mold Burgundy Club set.

10.jpg

10c chip - Pink base with 3ATRIM DG Yellow, Light Blue and Lavender spots

11.jpg

50c chip - Light Green base with 3ATRIM DG Peach, DG Peacock and Retro Lavender spots

12.jpg

1€ chip - Purple base with 3TA316 DG Pink, DG Arc Yellow and DG Green spots

13.jpg

5€ chip - Butterscotch base with 3TA316 DG yellow, DG tiger and Chocolate spots

Thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-burgundy-club-cash-cpc-b-mold.114465/#post-2355936

imperial Blue is terrific • holds up to wear and tear but still dark dark enough for Dayglo’s to pop and to not look dirty

Attachments

• 1707096690815.jpeg
    1707096690815.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 34

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom