Edge spot fading (1 Viewer)

CHIPnD

Two Pair
Reaction score
Is there a way to fix edge spot fading? I got these chips recently and a few had fading on some of the edge spots. Not sure what caused it, but would like to try and fix them if possible. I tried using a magic eraser with no luck.

IMG_1678.jpeg
IMG_1676.jpeg

It only looks like two of the spots are faded. My guess is these were exposed to sunlight and that bleached the dayglo spots. That color probably isn't coming back, at least not easily.

Try a cleaning and a bit of oil to see if that brings it back. I've brought some color back in chips that were cleaned in OxyClean and got bleached out some, but not 100% back to where they were before.

It only looks like two of the spots are faded. My guess is these were exposed to sunlight and that bleached the dayglo spots. That color probably isn't coming back, at least not easily.

Try a cleaning and a bit of oil to see if that brings it back. I've brought some color back in chips that were cleaned in OxyClean and got bleached out some, but not 100% back to where they were before.
I will try and oil but it is really faded compared to the original spot color. Do you think high grit wet sandpaper would work to remove the faded layer?

I will try and oil but it is really faded compared to the original spot color. Do you think high grit wet sandpaper would work to remove the faded layer?

I just tried this yesterday on an old TRK chip with a similar issue. Wish I took pre/post pics, but it worked great. Just oiled the sanded edge after and good as new!

I just tried this yesterday on an old TRK chip with a similar issue. Wish I took pre/post pics, but it worked great. Just oiled the sanded edge after and good as new!
Appreciate the feedback. I’ll attempt this tomorrow. Gotta get some wet sandpaper.

Update. The wet sandpaper worked to remove the faded edge. The only thing was that the fading was so deep that too much material had to be removed in order to reach color making my chip out of round. I knew it prob would’ve but wanted to experiment and take off as much as needed to. Thanks for the suggestions. I didn’t try just oiling yet.
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg

One thing I forgot to mention was that my local store only had 1500 and 600 grit wet sandpaper. I went with the 1500.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom