CPC Maker of Card Mold Chips? (1 Viewer)

Taxi500

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Newbie post: I see a lot of card mold poker chips on the classifieds that are very affordable or relatively so.

Who is the maker of these chips and what are they typically made of? I assumed CPC but I appear to be wrong.

Definitely not CPC.

Cards molds are made in China.
What material are they made from? Sample is otw for myself but I don't know if they're all 'worth' the same per chip or how price is affected by Chinese made chips.

Pretty sure they're ceramic, but not 100% sure

What material are they made from? Sample is otw for myself but I don't know if they're all 'worth' the same per chip or how price is affected by Chinese made chips.
From what I’ve read, chips that we call ceramic are actually made of polyester. When you’re shuffling them, they definitly feel more like ceramic than a leisure suit, so the name is fine, I guess.
Ceramic chips come in a wide range of qualities. The card mold chips seem to be decent quality - probably further from the worst than the best, but I’d comfortably rate them in the middle. Which makes them playable and a good deal for the price.
And the added advantage is that since the Chinese have no respect for American intellectual property laws, they will printed literally anything on the chips for you - go make some Mickey Mouse knockoffs if you want. Copyrights? Trademarks? Who cares!! But realize that any design you submit to them will be sold off to the highest, middle, and lowest bidders.

The cards mold chips are 100% ceramic, but not as grippy and textured as the ones from BRProPoker or Sunfly. The appeal of cards mold is that they are fully custom ceramics with edge alignment for a great price, but often a long wait if you get them in a group buy. Generally in the $.25-.40 cents each range.

CPC are altogether different. True compression clay chips that are fully customizable. These are generally $2 and up each.

From what I’ve read, chips that we call ceramic are actually made of polyester. When you’re shuffling them, they definitly feel more like ceramic than a leisure suit, so the name is fine, I guess.
Ceramic chips come in a wide range of qualities. The card mold chips seem to be decent quality - probably further from the worst than the best, but I’d comfortably rate them in the middle. Which makes them playable and a good deal for the price.
And the added advantage is that since the Chinese have no respect for American intellectual property laws, they will printed literally anything on the chips for you - go make some Mickey Mouse knockoffs if you want. Copyrights? Trademarks? Who cares!! But realize that any design you submit to them will be sold off to the highest, middle, and lowest bidders.
Love this explanation.. Thank you!! Have been flirting with some on the classifieds... is 50 cents a chip fair price for these types of chips? Being new I'm concerned with ripping myself off via ignorance.

Love this explanation.. Thank you!! Have been flirting with some on the classifieds... is 50 cents a chip fair price for these types of chips? Being new I'm concerned with ripping myself off via ignorance.
Maybe I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough - I think they stink. But everybody gets their own opinons. And quality-wise, they're fine.
Yeah, 50 cents a chip is probably close enough to fair. I think the actual cost after shipping is usually somewhere in the mid to high 30s, but that involves somebody doing legwork and a lot of waiting - if you can snap buy them at 50 cents apiece and you like them, it's fine I guess.
Personally I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality ceramic (and a company that I think is doing things right, but that's a lot of subjective crap) - I think https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ropoker.com/&usg=AOvVaw0p0XY10RReFqmkXhS5_M7s stock chips are around 70 cents apiece these days. They're just standard ceramics, which I prefer, not card mold. But I guess the point is there's a product and price point for eveybody - just keep looking around.

Most of the cards molds chips you see on PCF are from a Chinese manufacturer. @SUN-FLY Poker Chips also make cards mold, as well as diamond mold ceramics. They will stack better and be generally less slippery than the ubiquitous inexpensive chips.

Maybe I didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough - I think they stink. But everybody gets their own opinons. And quality-wise, they're fine.
Yeah, 50 cents a chip is probably close enough to fair. I think the actual cost after shipping is usually somewhere in the mid to high 30s, but that involves somebody doing legwork and a lot of waiting - if you can snap buy them at 50 cents apiece and you like them, it's fine I guess.
Personally I'd rather pay a bit more for a better quality ceramic (and a company that I think is doing things right, but that's a lot of subjective crap) - I think https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjDq-zM1rL6AhX3MlkFHVtSBuUQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https://brpropoker.com/&usg=AOvVaw0p0XY10RReFqmkXhS5_M7s stock chips are around 70 cents apiece these days. They're just standard ceramics, which I prefer, not card mold. But I guess the point is there's a product and price point for eveybody - just keep looking around.
Yeah I am also flirting with a set of DDLMs.... can't make up my mind.
Also loved these: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-plus-extras-coke-giraffe.95099/#post-1968261

I believe @Kid_Eastwood had a cash set made on the Sunfly cards mold, and a tourney set made on the diamond mold. Perhaps he would like to share his experience.

You're correct. I even had a Diamonds set made by Tina which I sold. Quality was too poor compared to SunFly (spinner and alignment).
Don't get me wrong, they have a good ratio quality / price. But I preferred to pay a premium and get the SunFly ones.

The cards mold chips are 100% ceramic
I will add that all chips are some sort of plastic composite. In material terms, pure clay or pure ceramic would be a far too brittle materials for poker chip purposes (ever drop a tea cup on a cement floor?)

But we apply the term "ceramic" to most "flat" chips that have direct printing through dye-sublimation. Compression clay are the chips where spots and base are formed in a press, usually with a recess for an inlay.

There are probably better definitions elsewhere on PCF, but whatever we call the chips, they are all some sort of composite material.

I will add that all chips are some sort of plastic composite. In material terms, pure clay or pure ceramic would be a far too brittle materials for poker chip purposes (ever drop a tea cup on a cement floor?)

But we apply the term "ceramic" to most "flat" chips that have direct printing through dye-sublimation. Compression clay are the chips where spots and base are formed in a press, usually with a recess for an inlay.

There are probably better definitions elsewhere on PCF, but whatever we call the chips, they are all some sort of composite material.
Yeah, I worded it wrongly…
I meant that they were 100% “what we consider” ceramic. They’re no more like real ceramic than “clay” chips are like clay.
We pass these terms around so often that I forget a person new to chips might be confused by them.

Get samples what ever you do. I know there are quite a few people who have a strong distaste for Card Molds and much prefer BRPro Ceramics. For me, I actually quite like the feel and shuffling of the card molds and wasn't a fan of any of the stock designs from BR. They do have issues with spinners and the printing isn't as sharp as BRPro, but it's a sacrifice for price.

Will one sample set suffice for the card mold type chips. I.e. I have these on the way https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/binions-cash-cards-molds-sample-sets.95207/

but am interested in these
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-plus-extras-coke-giraffe.95099/#post-1968261

also flirting with DDLMs as I ramp my way up to more expensive chips (after wedding!).
Yeah all card molds are the same other than the colours. You can also get them in the 43mm size.

I would try a sample of the DDLMs if you like the design as they are quite a bit different to card molds and you may have a preference one way or the other.

Justin also has a Groub Buy running currently for a bunch of different card mold designs in the group buy section. Worth a look!

Yeah all card molds are the same other than the colours. You can also get them in the 43mm size.

I would try a sample of the DDLMs if you like the design as they are quite a bit different to card molds and you may have a preference one way or the other.

Justin also has a Groub Buy running currently for a bunch of different card mold designs in the group buy section. Worth a look!
Yes. Love my sample of DDLMs!!

Do we have opinions on Tina's Card Molds vs Sunfly card molds? Literally just got the sample of tina Card Molds in the mail... not super excited about the feel vs BRPoker Ceramics. Wondering if SunFly texture preferred by y'all?

Do we have opinions on Tina's Card Molds vs Sunfly card molds? Literally just got the sample of tina Card Molds in the mail... not super excited about the feel vs BRPoker Ceramics. Wondering if SunFly texture preferred by y'all?
Get a sample from @BR Pro Poker , all their printing is done on the sunfly blanks I believe.

https://brpropoker.com/collections/poker-chip-sample-sets

Also find @Hobbyphilic on YouTube, he has done extensive chip reviews on most of what's available in the home market. (Though not sure he has done any on the Tina China Ceramics though.)

This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper... I just checked Sunfly's website... how does one acquire custom chips from them? Does PCF bulk buy custom ceramics from them as well?

This rabbit hole keeps getting deeper... I just checked Sunfly's website... how does one acquire custom chips from them? Does PCF bulk buy custom ceramics from them as well?
PM @SUN-FLY Poker Chips

There have been a few PCF group buys from Sunfly, particularly on their "hybrid" chips (ceramic printed chips with a recessed center for a sticker. Mountaintop and Prestige come to mind.

PM @SUN-FLY Poker Chips

There have been a few PCF group buys from Sunfly, particularly on their "hybrid" chips (ceramic printed chips with a recessed center for a sticker. Mountaintop and Prestige come to mind.
Unfortunately shipping from Sun fly in china is cost prohibitive unless you get a large quantity (see the free river club cash set in my signature, I did 2000 for my set.

I love the 43mm hybrids (a ceramic with a recess for a label.)

BR Pro does free shipping on $300+.

Are you sure? This is the first time I’ve ever heard this. DDLMs are made by BRPro poker - do they use Sunfly blanks?
Not any longer. BRPro Poker uses blanks with matte-finish rolling edges (vs Sun-Fly's signature glossy rolling edges, which do not stand on-end). The surface finish (both the chip face and rolling edge) on a ceramic blank is a function of the chip's mold design.

BRPro also offers/offered the older Chipco Protech blanks, although they may have exhausted their supply. Check with Gene @ABC Gifts and Awards .

The new Chipco Co. (Game-On) still produces a Chipco-style ceramic blank, but they are very difficult to contact via email, web, or phone.

Trying to work with Sunfly right now to see if they'll send samples and what that costs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom